Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pixel breakup on Comcast HD..
#251048 03/10/09 12:43 PM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
From time to time we'll get pixelation breakup or lockup for a few seconds only on our HD channels in the TV room, I don't recall ever noticing this in the other HD TVs in the house. We have Comcast Cable.

Would this be an issue with the cable box, their signal or a connection on my side? I've checked and doubled checked all of the connects and don't find anything abnormal.

Rick
Our Room

smile
Re: Pixel breakup on Comcast HD..
RickF #251053 03/10/09 12:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Rick,
I have the same issue with my HD signal through cable. Being in Canada I of course do not have the same provider as you (I have Rogers) but this is a sporadic symptom I have become accustomed to. It is very brief and doesn't bother me for casual viewing. My in-laws have the same provider and the same issue as well with none of the same equipment as me, so I have just made the assumption it is signal breakdown from the provider.

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #251058 03/10/09 01:14 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Rick, if it's only happening on one TV in the house, I woulch check the cable from a splitter to that location. There could be a bad connector, bad shielding... any of of a number of problems.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #251088 03/10/09 03:20 PM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I'll give it a try Mark, although I have checked and re-checked all connections back to the source. We completely lost service on Sunday and the Comcast phone service tech really got under my skin, whenever I was reporting the service out I also told her about the pixelation breakup and she replied that if they sent a tech out and it didn't happen while he was there I'd be charged a $35 service charge so I got snippy with her and she got equally snippy with me and actually hung up on me.

Yesterday I called Direct TV and their tech will be out between noon and four this afternoon to install the system, can't wait to call little miss snippy azz back to tell her to come get these damn ComCast boxes out of my house after having them for nine years.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #251131 03/10/09 05:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi RickF,

I believe that occasional pixelation and/or drop-outs in audio when watching HD signals with 5.1 Dolby Digital are simply a function of cable providers shoving so much content down the line (high-speed internet, phone services, hundreds of standard and HDTV channels, on-demand services, multi-language, etc) that it's inevitable that a really wide-bandwidth signal like HD with multichannel sound--even with compression of both audio and video signals--will suffer from time to time.

I suppose it might be an unusually long HDMI connector (if that's what you are using from the Comcast box) or inferior HDMI that might cause it, but I don't use HDMI from my Time-Warner cable box and I still get occasional drop-outs. (On last night's episode of "24", the HD video was fine but I did have very brief audio drop-outs).

Also keep in mind that satellite services are not free of issues. Heavy rain (or snow) can knock out signals and there have been issues of DirectTV using too much compression on some channels in the past, resulting in blocky images and degraded quality. Although it's impractical for most of us, over-the-air terrestrial HD can be spectacular looking and free of video and audio anomalies if you're within reception range.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
RickF #251136 03/10/09 05:36 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I occasionally have this problem too; I have Comcast. Sometimes I switch tuners on the cable box and it improves somewhat. I wonder if it has to do with # of concurrent viewers. I remember it was particularly bad during the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony, and also during SNL weeks before the election. Although, I don't see how #-of-viewers may affect the HD signal.

Last edited by JaimeG; 03/10/09 05:41 PM.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #251147 03/10/09 06:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I get audio drop outs occasionally on Fox Rochester(HD). I have only noticed it with that station. I use satellite and my connections are DVI to HDMI from cable box to t.v and optical from cable box to receiver.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #251244 03/11/09 02:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Audio drop outs are often your receivers 'graceful' way of dealing with incomplete or inadequate digital audio information. The cause, again, could be hundreds of things.

Alternately, my Bell HD-PVR seems to have a bug where these happen more and more often until I finally reboot the damn thing. This seems to indicate a problem with the receiver as opposed to the signal.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #251245 03/11/09 02:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hmm, I wrote a longish post yesderday explaining a bunch of different ways pixelization happens and how it is sometimes not your local providers fault but could be a problem upstream as most providers buy all their channel signals from multiple sources, not just one. ie, local weather is clear but the originating source feed in (wherever) is experiencing sleet or lightning near it's uplink dish.

I don't see it anymore so I must have pulled the old "forgot to hit Send after hitting Preview" stunt.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
RickF #251284 03/11/09 05:34 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: RickF
I'll give it a try Mark, although I have checked and re-checked all connections back to the source. We completely lost service on Sunday and the Comcast phone service tech really got under my skin, whenever I was reporting the service out I also told her about the pixelation breakup and she replied that if they sent a tech out and it didn't happen while he was there I'd be charged a $35 service charge so I got snippy with her and she got equally snippy with me and actually hung up on me.

Yesterday I called Direct TV and their tech will be out between noon and four this afternoon to install the system, can't wait to call little miss snippy azz back to tell her to come get these damn ComCast boxes out of my house after having them for nine years.

Good for you Rick. I ditched Comcast after six months of dealing with their incompetent billing and customer service staff. AT&T U-verse is what I use now with no complaints.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters