Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Affordable Qs8 brackets with tilt option???
terzaghi #252002 03/16/09 09:24 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I guess I just realized that the axiom QS brackets only provide a couple of inches of clearance from the wall... so I wouldn't really be able to tilt them in that much, if at all. Also, if I tilted one tweeter down toward the couch some, the bottom driver would then be aimed away from the listening area.

Maybe I should try the QS stands, or maybe I should just live with it the way it is until I buy a house hopefully within the next year. I really don't want to bring the speakers down as low as the stands would.

Terz,
I believe only the ceiling mount FSB have any concern about closeness. From the QS8's on 'wall mount' FMB's, they seem to tilt to maybe 45º if memory serves. In your case, against the back wall, tilting would make the lower woofer, reflect off the back wall, maybe right at your ear level.

Like Zimm, I always figured in theory, the tweeters tilting down, were still going off to the sides. I would look at the 1st reflection point and think they would reflect down to the carpeted floor. Keeping parallel like Randy's now, I guess I could see in theory, the extremely directional high frequencies might just remain above ear level mostly, at least through the first few reflections. Hmmmm... You guys are making me look at tilting them down slightly. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the high frequencies, even more than the mids. reflect just like you'd expect a pool ball to bounce off the cushion. The angle the ball or sound hits the surface, is the same angle it reflects off at.

For my rear ceiling mount set up, as I'd imagine would be mostly true for all rears, it might work like this:
Right rear surround tilted so L tweeter points at ear level of the left side of center of the sound field. The R tweeter would point towards the wall (or open space if no wall), and either reflects off the floor or the very bottom of the front wall, and then the floor. Hmmmn... This would tell me to forget about the L tweeter hitting a listener (who in never there anyway!) in the left of the sound field. Maybe start by making my best eye ball guess at how the 'pool ball' would reflect off the side wall, then front wall, then ?surface. Doooouhh! I gues you just stick it up there and play with it! (the speaker I mean).

Randy, did you give any more thought to brackets or maybe wooden wedges for a tilt in your set up? Have you been toLOwes to see if they had the Omnimounts. Sometimes a mfgr will show a chain as carrying their products, but the chain, or that store doesn't get the memo. ;o)

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
Zimm #252063 03/17/09 01:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have always just blamed the occasional lack of surround sound on the source.. because some movies/games they sound great... especially anything with car wrecks, gun shots, slamming doors, barking dogs, ect. you can def. tell they are working and sound fabulous.

However, sometimes if watching a movie that I can't hear much surround sound, I can get up and stand close to the surrounds and hear small surround sound effects that I can't really hear from the couch (wind through trees, quite bird chirps, ect.) However, sometimes these "ambient surround effects" come through clear... so prolly just a source issue I guess.

I have my surround level matched to 75 db with mains when they read 1.0 db on receiver... I often run them at 2.5 db but the problem still persists.

I can't help but wonder how they would sound if they were at the side aiming in, instead of at the back aiming forward like they should be. Not sure if it's worth all the hassle since I am looking to move (eventually)

-David
terzaghi #252520 03/19/09 03:56 AM
aficionado
aficionado
SirQuack,
My trip to Lowe's got the same result as yours. Nada on the Omnimount brackets. You can order them from Radio Shack on line and they will ship for free to your local RS store. So if you know what you want that is a way to go. I did not ask my local RS guy how a return would go on that kind of order, though.

Have you gotten any closer to trying some tilt option?
Hey, do you have a sledge? That would likely tilt 'em good. Oh, and probably knock 'em back a few feet to boot! ;\)

Last edited by davekro; 03/19/09 03:57 AM.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082