Re: Audio Format Question
ClubNeon #252859 03/20/09 07:52 PM
S
Skimble Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Thanks everybody! You all are always so hopeful; which is why I enjoy reading on this forum even though I don't post often (since I don't know much). In fact, it was here that I learned I should use my PS3 as a DVD player after my last one died--I'd never done that and thus was missing out on Bluray when I had the capabability.

I am HDMI from PS3 to AVR and HDMI from AVR to the TV. Also, my setup is 5.1. I'll check the settings per the posts above, and then not worry about it (I'll worry about things, of course . . . .)

Skimble #253007 03/22/09 12:01 AM
veteran
veteran
I recently set up a friend's system with a Denon AVR789 and a PS3 and had that very same question. Most of the time you will let the dvd player pass the signal directly to the receiver and let it decode the audio. If the Denon decodes the signal, it will tell you Dolby Digital or DTS or whatever.

The PS3 doesn't give you this option. It does the decoding and passes the signal like others have stated. In my case, the Denon displays "Mulit CH 5.1" which is one of the PCM settings. Yes, you are still listening to Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD even if your receiver doesn't tell you so. It would be nice but it doesn't since the audio has already been decoded.

It would also be nice if the PS3 gave you the choice of decoding the audio or passing it along and let the receiver do it.

I also figured having the PS3 do the decoding is a good thing, since it constantly gets new firmware updates. If there are ever additions to the Blu-ray spec or audio formats, it's likely you'll be up to date with everything automatically without running your own firmware update like I had to do for another friend's Sony BDP-S300. He was buying new Blu-ray movies and complaining to me when his dvd player would not even load or play the dvds.

Shag
Skimble #253019 03/22/09 01:41 AM
F
old hand
old hand
F
here is the explaination from dolby themselves;

In a Blu-ray Disc player, soundtracks decoded from the disc, as well as audio elements streamed or downloaded from an Internet connection or generated internally in the player, are decoded as digital PCM signals. PCM is the format players use to perform all internal audio processing operations, including mixing. In the mixing stage, secondary audio, button sounds, streaming commentary, and other non-disc-audio are mixed with the primary 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack from the disc. The result is the complete audio presentation as intended by the content creator.

The built-in decoding of these high-definition formats enables full playback compatibility with next-generation A/V receivers as well as earlier A/V receivers not equipped with Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD decoders.

Depending on the model, Blu-ray Disc players can output internally decoded soundtracks as follows:

As a multichannel PCM signal via HDMI
As a multichannel analog signal via analog connections
As a Dolby Digital signal via a coaxial or digital connection*
Many Blu-ray Disc players offer the choice of all three.

A/V Receivers with Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD Decoding
Advanced A/V receivers feature HDMI 1.3 inputs and built-in Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD decoders. This enables the receiver to decode high-definition theatrical (primary) soundtracks transported in their native format directly from Blu-ray Disc players equipped with HDMI 1.3 and bitstream out capability.

HDMI 1.3 provides all the standard HDMI benefits, including a single-cable connection for both audio (bitstream and PCM) and video as well as the proper application of the receiver’s DSP postprocessing, including bass management.

In addition, decoding theatrical soundtracks in your A/V receiver can enable full 96/24 digital audio capability when it is not supported in the player. Your system will also be ready for Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD signals from future set-top boxes, Internet audio and video sources, and downloadable HD media devices.

this is from the Dolby web site. the only advantage i can see it that for the newer AVR, the AVR can enable the full 96/24 digial audio capabilty.. that's about it. I have a PS3 and i believe that it does support 96/24digital audio, so....in conclusion, after reading this, bitstream out or PCM.. is about the same. that means that last night, the dark knight (no pun intended)was played back at lossless audio. congrats.

M80-QS8-VP150-EP600-A1400-8
STR-DA5300ES BDPS5000ES.

Mark
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup