Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 114 1 2 3 4 5 113 114
Re: Got Wood?
Ken.C #252950 03/21/09 04:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, Ken, I still can't believe that was your first project! That looks really nice!!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
MarkSJohnson #252952 03/21/09 04:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The "home improvement" route is what has started me off into the woodworking hobby. Back in high school, woodshop was probably my favourite course of all, something I always looked forward to...on the flipside, I disliked machine shop so it was only natural that I become a Tool & Die maker and work in a M/C shop for over 20 yrs later on

So, a couple of years ago, I began renovating my home, which is now 17 yrs old, not that old but, needing some updating. I decided to start with some 3/4" hardwood floors throughout the main floor, so I ripped up all the broadloom, bought a Makita belt sander and took out the peaks in the floor and shimmed the lower spots. I had to replace one 4x8 floor section because the patio doors had leaked and rotted the floor area next to them...the sliding doors were replaced with twin garden doors. Next, a 3/8 subfloor was laid down, with a layer of tar paper stapled over top as a vapour barrier and to allow the hardwood to move with temp/humidity changes. The wood I chose is called Acashi, it grows in Africa and has a very rich reddish-brown patina and very intricate grain to it....it is mistakenly referred to as African Walnut, when in fact, it is in the Mahogany family of woods.

Since I was redoing the entire main floor, I figured I'd also repaint the walls and change the crappy 3" baseboards to some 4 1/2" baseboard as well as install some chair rails, wainscot, picture rails ect depending on which room and also add crown moulding throughout the house.

Next, I redid the washrooms and powder room, tearing up the lino and replacing it with ceramics using the concrete board/thinset style of installation, afterwhich I replaced/updated all the faucettes (I still haven't replaced the lighting yet).

In the kitchen, I redid the cabinets in off-white melamine(from natural oak), added a granite backsplash, trimmed the underside of the cabinets and installed puck lighting. The lino floors were redone in ceramics using the concrete board method, this time I cut some of the tiles into quarter sections to create a custom/staggered look, which turned out nicely. I added various transition pieces for the ceramic/hardwood steps, then changed the beautiful builder's 'globe' lights with a 2x4 flourescent in the main kitchen and a light/fan in the breakfast nook.

I've done a few other renos on top of these but, as such, I've accumulated a number of tools to do these projects...Porter Cable compressor, Bostitch floor(cleate) nailer, 12" sliding Craftsman Mitre saw, Ridgid table saw, Makita belt sander, ect. I've also picked up a few tools (when the price was to good to resist) that I will use down the road, perhaps to build a cottage or workshop(Bostitch Framing nailers, F28ww and the Strapshot nailer, bostitch palm nailer and Milwaukee roofing nailer).

So, lately I helped one of my neighbours build an armoire for his sister out in Quebec which he will deliver next week, and it has perked my interest to try making some furniture or something other than doing home reno's. I know I'll need a lot more tools still, I've recently picked up the 13" Ridgid planer and am presently looking to buy a Router and Biscuit Joiner(will need a jointer someday too! and clamps, a band saw, oscillating sander...)

Sorry about the lack of pictures, I need to pick up a decent(but not expensive) digital camera and I'll post some shots if I can(also of the speakers!)

So, I hopefully we can get a thread going here, where people can get/give advice re woodworking or if someone sees a good deal on some equip't they might want to pass along, feel free.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #252958 03/21/09 05:25 PM
shareholder in the making
Mine was definitely from a plan--found it in a magazine at my friend's house. He said we could knock out a couple in a weekend. My wife purchased the wood for the project, and over a year later, I finished the cabinet! That's when I got clearance to order the M50s.

My friend's cabinet is still $200 worth of cut pieces of wood sitting in his garage. Weekend my ass.

Adrian, sounds like your project just snowballed. Glad to hear that it turned out well. As for a camera, I recommend one of the little Canon Powershots--they're quit inexpensive (~$100) and take decent pictures.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #252963 03/21/09 06:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice cabinet, Ken. You should try a new project....Yes, my renos did snowball, lol, but it was worth it.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #252964 03/21/09 06:04 PM
Unfortunately, the woodworking tools I have access to are over 100 miles away. When I have a house... ahaha. Like I'll have money for tools after I buy a house. ;\)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
MarkSJohnson #252967 03/21/09 06:17 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
With my decision to not photograph concerts this year [...]

Oh, no! No Regina concert pics for me!

And that was a great little history of your woodworking experiences. I would love to know how to make stuff like that, but it's such an intimidating hobby to me.

CV #252975 03/21/09 08:37 PM
OP Offline
Well, so far, Regina isn't scheduled.

Jack will be mad at me, though, as Diana Krall is !

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #252976 03/21/09 08:39 PM
OP Offline
Adrian, I had decided I wanted you as a neighbor even before reading about the armoire!

I really, really envy all that "handyman" knowledge. There are SO many projects in this 110-year-old house that I would love to try, but it really scares me to bite off more than I can chew!

St_PatGuy #252977 03/21/09 08:40 PM
OP Offline
Sean, I don't remember how you made use of both those pieces(??!!??).

I only see feet on one?

MarkSJohnson #252978 03/21/09 08:56 PM
OP Offline
Mike:
What kind of Mortiser did you get? I was kind of eyeing a Jet desktop...

Page 3 of 114 1 2 3 4 5 113 114

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020