AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (jmone), 50 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13326 Members
11 Forums
22918 Topics
405131 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17789
pmbuko 16289
SirQuack 13339
CV 11235
MarkSJohnson 10938
Meanwhile On Facebook

Did you get your "Golden Email"? The great gift certificate email giveaway star...

Here's a helpful article for everyone looking at putting a new stereo or home th...

Interesting article about who's getting the money from streaming radio services...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2556 - 04/10/02 12:14 PM M40's and receiver power
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got a pair of M40's. I have an old , I believe, 40 watt Onkyo tube receiver. Is this enough power for the M40's?

#2557 - 04/10/02 06:53 PM Re: M40's and receiver power
BBIBH Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Canada
The immediate answer would be....did it work properly when you connected it? I suspect if the amplifier is in good working order, and the tubes have been maintained or replaced as per specifications, it should be adequate.

It would also depend on the volume levels you require. You may find that it does not produce very loud levels.

Mike

#2558 - 04/12/02 12:38 PM Re: M40's and receiver power
alan Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Toronto/New York/Dwight
Hello Tim,

BBIBH is quite correct. Unlike transistors, tubes begin deteriorating from the moment they're first turned on. As they age, they may become microphonic, "gassy", and introduce all sorts of unwanted distortion and hum.

Capacitors in tube gear also age, so be careful with your new M40s when you fire up the old tube Onkyo.

On the plus side, even if the Onkyo is low-powered, tube amps tend to clip quite gracefully, without the harsh distortion associated with some solid-state amps as they approach or go into clipping. If you have some old speakers around that you don't care about I'd first try the Onkyo with those, then, if don't hear lots of noise, crackling, hum and the like, switch to the M40s.

Regards,

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.