Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Just for the fun of it
#2572 04/16/02 09:51 AM
veteran
veteran
Strange as this may sound - cause it's not the season, but the Christmas CDs by Mannheim Steamroller. They all sound just fantistic!

#2573 04/16/02 10:51 AM
old hand
old hand
Randy,
That is a great thought... looks like it could be Christmas in the summer for us!
Rob

lando
#2574 04/16/02 01:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few unique recordings that haven't been mentioned come immediately to mind that are both artistically powerful beautifully recorded.

Pirates Ricky Lee Jones - beautiful production, vocal and instrumental articulation

Ole Manos de Plata - Flamenco guitar, amazingly natural and atmospheric recording

Rhapsody in Blue Michael Tilson Thomas - original score small band, incredible sound stage and energy, best clarinet glissando (beginning of Rhapsody) ever recorded!

Huron Street Don Ross - solo guitar and with percussion effects so realistic the first time I played it I thought the kids had knocked over something in my living room

Vavaldi Four Seasons Boston Symphony - Telarc recording - the old war horse still has legs, Silverstein's bow work has a crisp rosiney (is this a word?) texture you can feel

So many more...................

#2575 06/01/02 12:18 PM
How about
Roger Waters - Amused to Death.
It is recorded in something called QSound and some of the stereo effects sound phenomenal with my new m22's

#2576 06/01/02 04:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ashley Macissac- Sleepy Maggie (slowly increasing volume with stereo switching L and R at the start moving into full mids with mild bass)

Chris Connell- Seasons (from Singles soundtrack; great clarity and guitar)

Enya- Lazy Days (very full mids, nice vocal)

Eric Clapton Unplugged- Signe (any song will do from this cd, beautiful acoustics, guitar, vocals, background noises)

Future Sound of London- Calcium (my fiance's pick, typical dance bass, alternating sounds)

Great Big Sea- General Taylor (PURE vocals including some male high strong mid notes and a favorite canadian band of mine)

Holly Cole Trio- I can see clearly now (beautiful vocal, deep cello bass throughout)

Kings College Choir- O come all ye faithful (Xmas song but has tight high vocals as well as the punishing bass that only a pipe organ can deliver!)

Our Lady Peace- Superman's Dead (loud rock and another Canadian band)

Sarah Mclaughlin- Ice Cream (soft smooth vocals with high tinny cymbols, nice clarity)

Smashing Pumpkins- Drown (from Singles soundtrack, this song has a sharp screaming guitar about the 5 or 6 minute mark that you MUST turn down the volume for lest you be calling customer service for a new tweeter!!)

Sting- Fragile (soft sounds, i like the song)

Suo Gan- Ambrosian Junior Choir (Empire of the Sun soundtrack, beautiful solo vocal, pure and clear)

The Rankin Family- Rise again (one note near the end hits a really high female pitch but should be perfectly smooth)

The Sundays- Summertime (the twangs at the beginning really test the treble levels, i am not sure why it was recorded that way but on any speaker so far i've found that noise piercing)

Watchman- Holiday (their latest release from this Winnipeg band which has some really rigorous mids and lows that truly test the distortion of your drivers)

Whales- Contemplation (being a biologist i pick these things up along the way, nothing better to test subsonic noise up to squealing pitches like whale notes!!)

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#2577 06/02/02 02:31 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
A quick addendum to my previous choices. I have been listening to a great deal of David Gray lately. His last album "White Ladder" which is only now going into full release in North America is as fine a work as one could hope for. Terrific melodies, sparse arrangements, lyrics that are poetic and meaningful without ever being cloying. If this sounds like a shameless plug, it is. He deserves to be heard. Enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters