Page 73 of 101 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 100 101
Re: wine thread
chesseroo #259098 05/03/09 03:28 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Well……. It may just be superstition, but when I have a very elegant wine that’s been aged for decades, I want to be as gentle with it as possible and give it time to open up on its own. The venture is sort of barbaric in a sense and I just can’t bring myself to use it on the old gems. When we do open an older bottle, we tend to sip it and taste every half hour or so and compare our impressions. It’s all part of the experience I reckon.

For whites, honestly, I’ve just gotten to the point where I enjoy them (still not as much as a red though). It’s been a long road……. I suspect as my pallet matures more, I’ll probably do some more experiments with the venture and white wines.

michael_d #259122 05/03/09 01:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Usually its the other way around. I still don't appreciate reds as much as I could. In my case I used to get headaches from the tanins so I had to stick to whites.

I have never tasted a red that is more than 10 years old. It would be an interesting experience with the right wine.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
michael_d #259159 05/03/09 10:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
Well……. It may just be superstition, but when I have a very elegant wine that’s been aged for decades, I want to be as gentle with it as possible and give it time to open up on its own. The venture is sort of barbaric in a sense and I just can’t bring myself to use it on the old gems. When we do open an older bottle, we tend to sip it and taste every half hour or so and compare our impressions. It’s all part of the experience I reckon.

Well one does prefer to err on the side of caution rather than potentially butchering a very old, very expensive bottle.

Quote:
For whites, honestly, I’ve just gotten to the point where I enjoy them (still not as much as a red though). It’s been a long road……. I suspect as my pallet matures more, I’ll probably do some more experiments with the venture and white wines.

I had a lovely Russian River Valley chardonnay last night.
Frei Brothers Reserve
Many wine 'experts' i've come across tend to thumb their noses at these US chards, calling them fat, bastardization of the grape, overdone, etc.
But, i'm keen on a smooth textured chardonnay with that buttery flavor, some mild yellow fruits, toasted oak, not too nutty, and the California wines have just that.
This Frei Brothers was in a good price point so i'm headed back to the store to nab the last two bottles on the racks.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #259161 05/03/09 10:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
And just to note, the Winnipeg Wine Festival is on this weekend.
I shall indeed be in attendance.

michael_d #259164 05/03/09 11:32 PM
shareholder in the making
The venture is sort of barbaric in a sense and I just can’t bring myself to use it on the old gems.

Indeed. The Vinturi makes a sound that is decidedly unrefined and crude. \:\)

pmbuko #259344 05/05/09 02:26 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Chess,

For a little more money, the Hartford Court Chard's are fantastic. The Stone Cote is my favorite. I think it runs about $45 a bottle and worth every penny. http://www.hartfordwines.com/wines/chardonnay/stonecote.html

I'm glad Adam turned my onto this winery. Their Zin's, Pinot's and Chards are all very good....

michael_d #259388 05/05/09 04:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wine question for you experts.
Normally, we never have half empty bottles as we are not big wine drinkers and only ever open a bottle if we intend to finish it. However, after a surprise party on Saturday, we have been left with four or five bottles of wine stoppered up in our refrigerator.

I have always succumbed to, what may just be an illusion, believing that wine seems to stale (for lack of a better word) very quickly no matter how well it is resealed. Even overnight seems to ruin it for me. However, maybe that's just in my head.

Do any of you save opened wine and for how long?

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #259394 05/05/09 04:57 PM
Sure. As a rule, I try to finish leftovers as quickly as possible, but whites will easily last a few days to a week or more in the fridge with no noticeable flavor degradation. Reds, which I keep at room temp after opened, can last a few days. Depends on the wine.

The golden rule for opened wines is sooner is always better.

michael_d #259436 05/05/09 10:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Chess,

For a little more money, the Hartford Court Chard's are fantastic. The Stone Cote is my favorite. I think it runs about $45 a bottle and worth every penny. http://www.hartfordwines.com/wines/chardonnay/stonecote.html

I'm glad Adam turned my onto this winery. Their Zin's, Pinot's and Chards are all very good....

A little money?
I would hate to see what you consider to be alot of money.

I have very few wines in the cellar beyond the $30 price point. Probably about 7-10 cellaring wines with the most expensive being a port.
My favorite chardonnay to date is actually Canadian and about $28/ bottle. I'm always open to finding new favorites though so i'll call around and see if i can find that winery offerings locally or not.

Murph #259437 05/05/09 10:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Wine question for you experts.
Normally, we never have half empty bottles as we are not big wine drinkers and only ever open a bottle if we intend to finish it. However, after a surprise party on Saturday, we have been left with four or five bottles of wine stoppered up in our refrigerator.

I have always succumbed to, what may just be an illusion, believing that wine seems to stale (for lack of a better word) very quickly no matter how well it is resealed. Even overnight seems to ruin it for me. However, maybe that's just in my head.

Do any of you save opened wine and for how long?

So many answers to this question. How to answer it in brief is tough.
Wine, like any other liquid, will go through chemical changes depending on what makes up the substance. In the case of wine, we are talking about thousands of compounds, any one of which will react to temperature changes (e.g., volatility, reaction rates with other chemicals increase with temperature), exposure to sun (again, energy input to the system), oxygen, etc.

I've talked with some certified sommeliers about this and they all believe something a bit different regarding the element of 'time', but they also all do believe oxygen is the biggest contributer to ageing a wine prematurely.
In part this is true. Once a bottle is opened to the air, the introduction of more oxygen will start to change the chemistry, BUT, how fast depends on the factors noted previously.
Both red and white wines can be stored, after opening, in a cool area to reduce the temperature exposure, reduce reaction rates and keep the bottles out of the light.
Secondly, many recommend reducing the exposure to oxygen by using bottles of compressed nitrogen gas. You 'spray' the nitrogen into the bottle then quickly cap it again. This may help to some extent but really only if you are keeping the open bottle for a more extensive time before opening it again.
Third, reduce the available head space in the open bottle by putting it under a vacuum. Many bottle neck vacuum seal widgets exist and will change the air pressure within the bottle headspace, reducing the amount of volatilization you may get from the alcohol, for one example.

Personally i've left some not so tasty harsh reds 'open' for a day on the counter and have found they mellowed (or the alcohol dissipated) to the point where it was actually more drinkable.

In short, once you let the genie out of the bottle...there's no stopping the genie. Quicker drinking is better, unless you have a reason to let the wine sit and 'change'.

Page 73 of 101 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020