5.1 Surround Setup with M60's as mains
#25963 11/19/03 03:02 AM
R
rdwarn Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
R
I currently have an Bose Accoustimass 7 system which is the 3 pairs of cube speakers and bass module. I've been looking to get some rear channel speakers for my setup. I had been researching when all of a sudden I came accross Axiom. I had never heard of Axiom but couldn't resist all the reviews. I then decided I would instead buy a pair of Axiom M40's...a week later I bumped up my budget for a pair of M50's...and now, you guessed it, I'm going to get a pair of Outlet M60's. I just couldn't resist all of the great reviews. Anyway, if I get the M60's there is no way my wife will be approving a budget that includes speakers for some time to come. I would like to somehow configure my 5.1 with the Axiom's as my mains and the cubes as center, rear left, and rear right. I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of Bose Accoustimass and what would happen if I hooked them up in this fashion...would the bass from the bass module suffer? Would it damage my speakers or reciever? Would it just sound like crap?

thanks

Re: 5.1 Surround Setup with M60's as mains
#25964 11/19/03 04:01 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Would it just sound like crap?

YES!

And that's all I'll say about Bose because I don't need the aggrevation of a lawsuit for slander.

P.S regarding a certian someone not approving the budget for speakers for sometime to come, the standard reply on this board is: "Grow a sack" and tell her how it's gonna be.

Last edited by mwc; 11/19/03 04:07 AM.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#25965 11/19/03 05:14 AM
devotee
devotee
Buy M22's instead. Then you'll have (almost) enough money left over for a VP100 and a pair of QS4's. That would be far preferable to M60's and the Bose cubes.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#25966 11/19/03 09:33 AM
old hand
old hand
My 2 cents...if you are getting front L/R Axioms, you still need a proper centre channel. Dont sacrifice on that if you need a proper 5.1 system. I am not sure if the Bose cube can do a good job for a center.

I moved from Bose 301 front speakers to Axiom M22's and M60's so I can definitely vouch for the huge difference.

I have had my centre speaker for the last 12 years and it is not great (nor is it timbre matched) but it does a good job in my setup. I once tried to put a simple 2 way SONY hifi speaker in its place (Center channel) and I didnt like the result that much.

For surrounds, it is much easier to live with Bose or other speakers although a bipole/dipole/quadpole design gives you very good dispersion (surround sound).

Cheers!

#25967 11/19/03 01:10 PM
R
rdwarn Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
R
MWC I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post but as for me "growing a sack"?!? I don't need your insults. I'm not going to sit here and lecture you for such a childish statement but I believe "having a sack" means putting your family first.

#25968 11/19/03 04:25 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Dude, I don't think that's the standard thing to say on this board at any time, nor should it be. Jeezus, what kind of marriages do you think we all have?

As a reply to all of you, what's wrong with going away from 5.1 for a time back to 2 until the budget can fit for the rest? If it's so bad, then, well, use the Bose stuff for a little bit; just for watching movies.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#25969 11/19/03 04:56 PM
devotee
devotee
I think people are not truly answering your questions, so I will try myself:

Yes, you could use your Bose speakers for the center and surrounds. Just understand, the sound is going to be so inferior to the Axioms, you will be itching in your pants to get the rest of the speakers as Axioms. But, it will still work and if that is all that matters, than you will be fine.

About the acoustimass stuff, do you have the acoustimass reciever? If so, it may not work with the Axiom M60's. That reciever is made for a speaker with very poor frequency response, I believe it cuts off around 200hz. The Axiom M60 goes down way below 200Hz all the way to 37Hz. I know your budget will be hurting, but you really should go buy a new reciever.

About your current Bose sub, because of the poor frequency response of the satellite speakers, the sub needs to produce the sounds from 200Hz all the way down to about 60 Hz. Since the M60s go lower than that, the sub will be rendered useless and you will want a new sub to reach down to 20Hz.

I am sorry to report this, but Bose are extremely poor speakers with the only redeeming value being their asthetic value, especially with the wife.

Oh, and about the "growing balls" comment, it might be my fault, I said that to someone else on this forum and mwc was jokingly repeating what I had said.

#25970 11/19/03 05:22 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
rdwarn,
My sincere apology. I meant it in jest(see smiley face in post) and I can see where one might take offense. The "grow a sack" phrase was started here a long time ago and its been sort of a running joke anytime someone mentions something like getting permision for audio gear. I guess I overlooked the fact that you are fairly new to this board and wouldn't have known about it. I whole heartedly agree that family should come first before anything.

P.S. Snippy, thanks for recognizing the that my post was meant light heartedly.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#25971 11/19/03 06:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
rdwarn: I am sorry that you took offence to MWC comment. I do not think he meant that in offence and he just took it out of context to some members on this board that had that running joke long time ago. I apologize for his sake and I apologize because I think I was around when that "supposed" joke started. I thought that was long and buried.
That joke was a reply to me by Semi_On when I tried to pry the remote from my fiancee as she was listening to her music or watching TV on my newly bought M22 and Rotel receiver last year. As I tried to pry the remote she threw a couple of empty CD cases at me (or was it the remote) while I cowered and ran form the living room. At that point of time after some jokes Semi_On said I had to "grow a sack" and stand my ground. My fiancee is 5'0" petite and I am 5'10" and 130 lbs heavier than her.
Again I apologize because there are some here who do remember that joke and it was just out of context in this situation.
Lets just bury this and let it slide. Sorry.......

Saturn - cowering Axiom member for long time now

#25972 11/19/03 06:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I stand corrected. It was actually started even before that and was a comment to another individual to stand his ground and show his wife who is the boss. But is was all in jest.

Saturn

ps:We really know who is the boss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082