Charactristic Differences between Axiom and Atlant
#2601 04/11/02 09:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been "lurking" for about a month...but am really interested in their speakers. I've had the Atlantic Technology 350 series w/2 SVsubwoofers and a pair of 270's for the rears in a 7.1 set-up. I like the "warmer" sound from the AT system....but sometimes I feel I'm missing details and smoother panning from right to left and front to back. I've never been won over by my set up in the sides and rears (seems restrained, if that makes sense). The design of the Quad QS-8's really sounds interesting.

On to the question: Does anyone know/experienced/or could give me an educated guess as to the difference between the two lines of speakers?

Here's what my other system consists of:
Lexicon MC-1
7 Marantz MA-700 amps
Zenith 1080 HD Sat Rec
Sony 7700 modified by MSB Tech w/digital board

The room is a dedicated (non-acoustically treated)14 w x 20L
the system is used for HT only!

I'm interested in the M50's for the front, VP 150 center, and two pairs of QS-8 for the sides and rear. The sides would be mounted on the QSS8 and the rears on wall mounts.

Even though what I'm looking to replace is priced about the same new as the Axiom line, I preceive from other's reports a distinct increase in performance. Just as I did with the AT sub's Vs the Svsubwoofers.

Thanks for everyone's perspective
Ron

Re: Charactristic Differences between Axiom and Atlant
#2602 04/12/02 04:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ron

very interesting topic. I'm not sure if the lack of smooth panning is caused by the speaker. Perhaps one of your components is causing it to not feel as real as it should.

As far as the speakers are concerned. Axiom speakers aren't 'warm' like, say, Paradigm's monitor series. They're very neutral and balanced. The M3's, however, have a slightly recessed midrange, which does sort of make them warm.

I assume you feel your rears are not dispersing sound properly. The soundfield sounds flat, correct? In this case, the QS 8's will definitely help with that. The VP150 will REALLY make dialogue clear.. clear as day. The M50's I hear are excellent, as well, but I have never heard them. Other people will testify that they are great.

Have you also considered changing the placements of your side speakers? I find placing them slightly in the back sounds pretty bad. For music DVD's, they sound good slightly in the front, otherwise it sounds like the band is behind you. For movies, I like it right in the middle.

Keep posting your questions! Lot's of people here will have good advice for you!
Good luck!

#2603 04/12/02 12:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ravi:

Thanks very much for the advice. As far the panning...I should have taken it to the next step....With weak performance in the sides and rears and (at times) the front sound stage doesn't really wow you...I don't think it the Lexicon....it's the speakers (IMHO).

The side speakers, I've tried front, slightly behind and directly to the side of the listening position...not much difference.

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated!

Ron

PS: I thinking of one pair of QS-8's for the rears, as a test of the Axioms....try them for a couple of days at the sides too....they would give me a flavor of what to expect.

Ron

#2604 04/12/02 03:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ron

Yes, you could try the QS 8's, because of the 30 day policy. I have heard center channels sometimes sound good as 6 and 7th speakers. I believe it was canadian_guy that suggested this.

If your speakers are causing the bad panning, they are likely really bad at imaging and being transparent. Do you ever use them in two channel audio? this might be a good test to see if they have these traits. My M3's have a great soundstage, and some pretty darn good imaging for what they are. They disappear in my living room. I assume M50's would be even better!

#2605 04/12/02 03:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've never tried the mains for 2 channel only. My system has been used exclusively for HT only....but that maybe a good test this weekend.

Thanks Again
Ron Boster

#2606 04/12/02 05:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I went a head and ordered a pair of the QS-8's to try out. I'm excited to hear the differences between the AT's and the Axioms. If all goes well, I'll sell of the AT speakers and go Axiom's all the way around.

All input is welcome as it relates to a comparison between the two brands and/or what I have compiled as potential replacements for the AT speakers.

Ron

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup