Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Another touch PMP, won't hold my library, but ....
#261424 05/27/09 12:11 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I bought a Zune to avoid iTunes and to have enough storage to carry my entire music collection without having to pick and choose what fits. However, the geek in me is constantly drawn to the coolness of touch screens but so far, storage capacity in these fashionably slim models maxes out at 32GB.

I was pretty exited to hear Zune was releasing a touch screen version soon but then quickly disappointed when I read they are sacrificing storage to go for the coolness of slim.

But wait! Under it's wireless features I see it supports streaming music content via Wi-Fi!!! I already do this to listen to my home music library at work or while on the road with my laptop using WinAmp Remote.

Now they could be referring to a Zune subscription service and not support for home media servers but if not, this could solve my problem. I'm not hung up with trying to get audiophile quality via my MP3 player so having the remainder of my 50+GB library only accessible via streaming, would be plenty fine for me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Free HD Radio is another interesting feature listed and obviously the big selling feature considering the name. Assuming, of course, you live somewhere where it is available. I guess it might be fun when I travel.

Here is a link to it's brief but official web page.
Zune HD

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Another touch PMP, won't hold my library, but ....
Murph #261425 05/27/09 12:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Very cool murph . I was thinking about getting a Zune. I just bought a touch PMP player this week actually (should arrive in the mail soon...),. After debating I thought the Cowon iAudio D2+ fit my needs the best (expandable memory, drag and drop from sd card, touch screen, audio features/flac, long battery life/52 hours with music) (did not need wifi). Would have went with the Cowon S9 or Zune but they would have been completely overkill \:\) . Congrats!

Here is a link to the Cowon site

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #261427 05/27/09 01:03 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks House, although don't congratulate me yet. i won't be upgrading from my old Zune 80 until the new HD is released and I verify that it truly supports home media servers via Wi-Fi.

I looked hard and long at the Cuwons but expensive IPod Touches were the only touch models at the time and more importantly, for me, 16GB plus a 32GB SDHC card still only equaled 48GB. I could cut out some rarely played crap that I don't know why I even keep but I'd still have little room for more in the future.

Hopefully a new player will come out soon that uses SDXC promising up to 2TB once the technology goes commonplace. I guess I'm a packrat when it comes to music.

Couldn't find the memory specs on the Cuwon S9 but it's one SWEETTTT unit. Good call on the D2+. It's an awesome player for the money. It currently tops my list for replacing my wife's player. She keeps noodling over whether or not she really needs it though. I blame Mark for his infections Noodling.

Last edited by Murph; 05/27/09 01:09 PM. Reason: Decided to pick on Mark at the last minute.

Murph #261430 05/27/09 01:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Currently the S9 has 8GB, 16GB and 32GB models. I believe there is no expandable memory on the S9 which I think is a mistake.

I will probably have a tough time filling 16GB on my D2+ with music but if I ever dabble into the video features on it, the exapandable memory will come in handy.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #261456 05/27/09 06:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well here it is \:\) .

My first impressions was actually how small and sturdy it is. This player is dwarfed by the palm of my hand and would be suitable in any pocket for on the go activity. The build quality is good and looks cool as well.

Setting up the player was as easy as plugging it into a usb port, having the computer detect it and start dragging albums into the music folder in the f drive it created. I installed no software even though it came with a c.d. My initial impressions is that the touch screen works great, the sound quality is excellent hooked up directly through my MS1 headphones, portability and ease of use/setup. I am paranoid about scratching the screen though and want to keep it in good condition (might have to look into a screen protector of some sort). Love this thing so far .

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #261457 05/27/09 06:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's a slick unit Dr. House. Here's some screen protectors for your player, made by JAVOedge . I have one on my Zune player and am really happy with it.

Can't wait for the new Zune to come out! I love my Zune player, but the only downside is that it's hard for me to navigate because I don't have the use of my fingers. It's somewhat of a bonus though, because it's not difficult to rationalize an upgrade to something that I really don't need, other than it's more accessible \:\) .

Now don't you wish you were handicapped LOL \:D

Last edited by wheelz999; 05/27/09 06:45 PM.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #261458 05/27/09 06:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks! And thanks for that link!

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #261459 05/27/09 06:44 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Nice!
If you don't mind, I'd ask that you let us know your impressions with the touch interface after using it for a time. Specifically, how user friendly is it to a non-techie-type (ie my wife) and how does using your fingers compare to using the provided stylus?

Thanks!

Murph #261466 05/27/09 07:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What I can tell you about the sylus right now is that I will not use it for portable use because the stylus does not fit into the unit but rather attached to the side where it hangs off. I would be afraid of it rubbing up against the screen being in a pocket, backpack etc.

-Max Payne

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters