Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Best speakers for Yamaha 1400 series
#26295 11/25/03 01:39 PM
local
local
That's the unfortunate thing about retail. The 2400 is listed on YAMAHA's site for $999 MSRP, so I don't see how $1099 = "$999 - on SALE!" is accurate.

Don't even get me started on these places....

Regardless, at least you got working equipment and you seem happy.

Perhaps that's all that really matters.

As far as speakers go, if you're willing to spend some more (maybe less if you ask them here about a discount with a "package" purchase), the VP150 or VP100 is the "designed" center channel that Axiom offers. This would be an alternative to the M2i upright channel that someone suggested.

I've read NOTHING but great things about the QS8's as surround speakers.

Another suggestion that some folks make here is depending on what you're going to do with your system is to consider the M22i's and a subwoofer instead of 2 floor standing speakers. The benefits of a sub for movies in a home theater seem to be considerable. Since you mentioned that you'll only use the setup for 30% music it might be wise to consider going this route.

2 Popular subwoofer companies around here are HSU and SVS. They also sell direct.

You could do: (2)M22i's-mains, (1)VP150-center, (2)QS8's-surrounds and (1)HSU STF-2-sub for a little over $1600. Possibly less if you can get a package discount.

The axioms and HSU products (not sure about SVS) come with 30 day in home trial as well. Only thing it would cost you is shipping back if you hate them.

I plan to go with a setup similar to the one above as soon as I can work out the family budget

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#26296 11/25/03 03:09 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi mwc. Yes the salesman said that $799 is the sale price on the 1400 and the 2400 is on sale for $999 plus of course the sales tax. Thanks for the link on the Yamaha site which I found very informative. And as soon as I find the right speakers for me I will sell the bose on the used market. I'm checking out all the stores in my area which carries what speakers so I can try listening to them. I'm doing a lot of reading and found out that axioms are really good speakers and leaning towards them. Thanks.

#26297 11/25/03 03:16 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
John, yes they did charge me $799 for the 1400 and I paid the guy who installed the system for me. I think I still can return it, cause they have a 30 day return policy. What is the DPL11x feature all about? I thought the new receivers has all the goodies in it? Also where can I buy one for $529 delivered? Please let me know. I think I need to do a lot more reading about the speaker/receiver subject so I can actually know more on what I really like. Thanks John.

#26298 11/25/03 03:35 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello Nick.Yes indeed that's what I was told by the sales person who sold me the system and my HDTV. They even sold me the extended warranty on the TV for $599 for I think 4 years or maybe five and I don't remember how much I paid for the warranty for the 1400. At any rate, I was happy with my purchase till I found out what the real price of the receiver was. Hmmm now I'm wondering was the tv also on sale like the salesman claimed when I bought it? Well, Nick I'm leaning towards the axiom speakers right now and you mentioned that I can probably get a package deal through them. Also enlighten me some more on the M22i's instead of the floor speakers that I really like. Are they better in viewing movies compared to the floor speakers? Oh by the way, the sub woofers you mentioned are really good as per my reading on them. I'm really doing all my research cause once I get them, I don't intend to send them back. They are heavy and I don't have anybody to help me repackage them and drag them back to the ups office which is about 30 miles away from me. Thanks for all the help guys and if you any more suggestions please let me know. I will return the 1400 and get it cheaper somewhere else if John can tell where.

#26299 11/25/03 03:57 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

I'm doing a lot of reading and found out that axioms are really good speakers and leaning towards them.

Check out this review by John Potis of Soundstage
www.soundstage.com/revequip/axiom_millenniam22tise.htm

There are many other good reviews of Axiom speakers but this is the review and these statements in particular that compeled me to try the M22ti :

"From the lower-midrange up through the vocal region, the M22Ti SE will rival the vast majority of speakers in terms of detail, transparency and neutrality. Notice I didn’t say anything about budget speakers; forget about cost for a moment. Through this region, these speakers really are that good. I’m talking about the kind of performance that people take for granted in $3000 monitors".

"The treble integration and balance are two areas in which the M22Ti SE will downright embarrass the majority of speakers available. Particularly among budget speakers, it’s the hard, bright and spitty treble that's the deal breaker as far as I’m concerned. Though some offer treble performance that is good for the price, the Axioms just offer good treble performance, period."

When I bought my M22ti's, I fully intended to just audition them for a few weeks and then send them back to Axiom for a refund as I have done with other speaker brands. Afterall, I do have other more costly speakers (KEF& and just recently Magnepan) in my home. But after spending a few weeks with the M22ti's I just couldn't send them back. So 18 months later I still have them(in a bedroom setup) and enjoy them often.

You might try to find someone in your area that has some Axioms. Many folks here are willing to let you listen to thiers. There is a thread on this board with a list of folks and where they are located who are willing to let others audition. Sorry I don't know the name of that thread. Maybe someone else can show the way?

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#26300 11/25/03 04:04 PM
local
local
Isabel,

The M22i's are regarded as very good sounding speakers like most of the axiom line. Their one drawback is that they do not handle low bass as effectively as the M60 or M80's (towers) do. However, if you're planning to utilize your system for 70% viewing and 30% music, you should find that even the powerful bass of a good tower speaker will not have the impact of a sub.

Therefore, a lot of folks that are compromising due to a realistic budget choose to purchase the less expensive M22i's because they are excellent in the mid and high range and an appropriate sub will nicely pick up any slack in the bass.

In other words, (as long as your room was big enough), the ideal would probably be:

M60's or M80's with a subwoofer.

However if you can't do this (I don't think I will be able to) you'd be better suited to do:

M22i's and a sub instead of just M60's.

It could turn out that if you can find the Yamaha 1400 for less with Jon's help you can then re-budget to go all out (M60's + sub).

And of course don't forget about your center channel and surrounds.

-Nick

P.S. I know what you mean about mailing them back..it's definately a hassle. But keep in mind if you use UPS you can schedule THEM to pickup from you. I don't know if that's available in all areas though.

My M60's make me listen
#26301 11/25/03 04:24 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

I will return the 1400 and get it cheaper somewhere else if John can tell where.

There are many online retailers that sell electronics for much less than Brick & Morter stores. You just have to be careful that they are authorized dealers and offer the full manufacturers warranty and are allowed to sell over the internet by the manufacturer. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer, you could have warranty issues if there is ever a problem with the unit. You might check Yamaha's web site to see if there is a list of authorized "internet retailers". Some of the more seedy ones will say that they are authorized but really aren't.

If you don't want the hassle of mail-order you could check locally(not sure where you are) at places like Tweeter Electronics and Ultimate Electronics. They usually discount at least $100 off msrp but you must shop for the lowest price and then pit them against each other. Sometimes they'll drop the price even a little lower. These places also have a 30 day return policy and a 120 day upgrade policy. Some internet retailers have very iffy return policies.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#26302 11/25/03 04:25 PM
local
local
Here's the thread in question:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=first&Number=12763&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Also wanted to clarify so my opinions aren't too regarded, I don't have any axioms yet. I'm only referencing the general opinion of the fans and owners that hang out here. This way you get some feedback while the actual users like MWC are off listening to their Axioms

Just wouldn't want my opinion overvalued since I haven't bought any yet.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#26303 11/25/03 05:13 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Hey Isabel,

I'm somewhat new here too and won't have my M60 and QS8s until Friday, but from what I've heard about these speakers, I won't be disappointed. Now about your situation - it appears to me that if you return the TV and receiver and find them elsewhere at lower prices, and ditch the extended warranty, you should be able to get the M60 and a very decent sub. while still saving money from your original budget.

I haver personally bought extended warranty twice in my life, once on a used car and once on a video camera. I haven't needed it yet. A friend of mine who used to work at Future Shop said the extended warranties were where they made a killing. It is really rare that anyone will need them, if you even remember you have it or where you put your warranty card. Something to think about.

Good luck and let us know how your story ends.

Rocky

#26304 11/25/03 06:24 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi Isabel,
check this link out here http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=yamrxv1400&svbname=16
569.00 plus s/h. Good luck on your quest!

"One needs to crawl thru the darkness to stand in the light"
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020