Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Best speakers for Yamaha 1400 series
#26315 11/26/03 04:22 AM
shareholder in the making
Isabel, here's their site. If you want to use them(and it's about $50 better than any other deal I've seen), act quickly, since as I mentioned, it may only be a short-term offer.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#26316 11/26/03 04:44 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
JohnK thanks for the link and I will call them in the morning to order one since I can return the one I got from GG. Anyway, JohnK I noticed that most of the speakers that I was going to get are rated at 400 watts. Since the 1400 is only rated at 110 watts why do I need all these wattage? Maybe for future upgrades or ????? Or maybe I can use an amp that can put out 400 watts or add another amp together with my 1400? Just curious. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.

#26317 11/26/03 04:47 AM
The 400 watt thing is, almost entirely, irrelevant. It's just basically an upper limit. Although you will receive better sound at high levels with a higher powered amp, it's not all that crucial. The wattage ratings, as far as I can tell, are just there because that's what people want to see about speakers. (don't ask me why...)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#26318 11/26/03 07:55 PM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
JohnK I called 6th ave. today and was told that they don't have the 1400 anymore. They are not sure if they can still get them or not. Just my luck. I guess I'll have to keep this one I got. Any other place to check? Thanks.

#26319 11/26/03 10:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite

#26320 11/26/03 11:06 PM
Isabel, after I read your reply I checked some other audio forums. As late as last night there were a couple reports of just having ordered at that price. Then, this morning there's posts saying that either temporarily or permanently it's over. If you'd like to try one of the sites Craig listed the delivered price should be about $580-$600. One question would be whether they're shipping the latest version with DPLIIx. Even if you don't want to bother with that you should note that Yamaha is upgrading present 1400s and 2400s to DPLIIx at no charge, but they have to be shipped to their Buena Park repair center. I would think that Good Guys would do this at no cost to you, especially if you would otherwise just return it.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#26321 11/30/03 04:25 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the links spiffnme. I returned my 1400 and bought one right after I returned it so I get another 30 days to return it just in case the 6th ave deal comes back. Here's what I did this long weekend. I tried out some new speakers while traveling 50 miles going to the city. I listened mostly to the paradigm speakers and I can tell you they sounded pretty good. The store played a lot dvd's just for me to listen and boy I was impressed. After that I also listen to the nht speakers and frankly I think the paradigm sounded better to me. Then as I moved on to another store they have some b&w speakers and man do they sound good with the front projection monitor hooked up to it. At this time I think I had listen to other speakers also like the Klipsch RB5 and I was told that they are 50% off from MSRP. So they are only $424 a pair. Is this a good price for these speakers or not. The salesman was trying to tell me that they are rated one of the best in that price range. I must tell you also that they do sound good. At this time I really don't know if I should listen to any more speakers cause all of them sounded the same to me. HI HI HI. So guys that was it for that day and today I drove the opposite direction and listened to more speakers. First one I listened to were the energy speakers and they are having a special sale for the bookshelf type. You pay $500 and you get a free center channel or a subwoofer. Naturally the salesman told me that they are the best, and that they won't even compare to all the others that I have listened to. Next on the list were the JBL and they look huge being they are floor models. The sound is ok and I think they are good in playing music. Then next in line were the monitor audio I think and these speakers are also good. Basically all the speakers I listened are all good and this is how I rate them my self. I like the paradigm most, probably just because it was setup with a nice subwoofer, then the energy speakers are definitely good also. The b&w are also up there with the klipsch. I didn't care too much about the JBL's or the nht's. While listening to all these speakers I came across a guy who said that a brand called the rocket is really one of the best. He also mentioned the KEF reference and def tech. With all the speakers that I have listened to in 2 days I'm now in need of everybody's opinion on these speakers,Paradigm, energy and B&W. Which one do you think is a good one compared to the Axiom's. I never heard an Axiom before and I think I'm just relying on the reviews that I read on them. Anyway more comments on the other speakers that I mentioned is much appreciated. Thank you.

#26322 12/01/03 02:08 AM
Well, in case Peter (pmbuko) doesn't have time to pop on and tell you, he had a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9s which he picked after we listened to a number of things, including B&W, Energy, Hales, Def Tech, Revel, Magnepan, etc. The Magnepans, Hales, and Revels were the best, of course, but the Monitor 9s were the best bang for the buck. When he got the M22s, I was naturally a bit dubious (having never heard the Axioms and only having seen their ads online), but I was blown away. They were pretty darn close (in my memory, months later) to the Magnepans in terms of clarity and realism. (Soundstage couldn't match, but hey, they're $1000 cheaper... and don't take up as much space). They were about 10 times better than the Monitor 9s.

In short, try the Axioms, or try to audition them at someone's place near yours.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#26323 12/01/03 02:56 AM
old hand
old hand
I have dealt with e-tronics before, they treated me well. No problems at all. I would recommend them. If you liked the Paradigm then you will definitly like the Axioms. I think they are a very close competitor, but Axiom wins out in clarity, build quality and customer service.

Rick

#26324 12/01/03 05:24 AM
Isabel Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Well ok guys, I think it's decision time for me now. I'm still leaning towards the axiom speakers and the hsu sub. How about this for my system. I originally wanted a floor model speaker but looks like most of you recommended the bookshelf speakers. Here it goes.

2X M-22ti for front speakers
2X QS-8 for the surround speakers
1X VP-150 for the center speaker
1 HSU subwoofer for more bass

Please let me know if this is the right combination or any other suggestions. It will mostly be used for a home theater system. Now the only thing also is the finish or color of the speakers. I have oak hardwood floors and right now I think the black ones are good to match all the black components I got. I will email axiom speakers and see what kind of deal I can get. IF all goes well, then I will be the proud owner of the new axiom speakers.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup