Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 47 48
Re: The world's newest Axiomite it born...
pmbuko #263852 06/16/09 02:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
\:D
Sort of like a Hummer, but a little chocolaty with lots of musicality?

Last edited by fredk; 06/16/09 02:26 AM.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #263863 06/16/09 04:22 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Wow, that was a scare!!!

Ok so I had the M80's all hooked up. Then I connected the EP800 and listened.... no sound. Ok so then I started messing with the volume control knob, got it to turn (up)... sound! LOT'S of sound!!! I had bass heavy licks in the CD player on purpose. But very shortly after listening I started hearing a clicking sound in the back, almost exactly like the sound I heard over at Steve's house. He said he thought a wire or something was hitting the driver. I wasn't sure what the problem was with mine, but I wasn't happy. So I started messing with all the settings I could think of. I even turned the sub down almost all the way, but it was still there with heavy bass tracks. WTF???

This continued and got worse, the audibility was very annoying. I thought forsure I'd got a bum subwoofer. I was SOOO disappointed!!! I was just about to look at how to take the speakers themselves out to see if something had come loose inside the box. I pushed up on the front of the box (music still playing), and the sound completely disappeared... I let the box down, the sound came back. Up down, up down, no problem, problem, no problem, problem... hmmmm, took a real close look at the front of the box. You know the cut-out I made for the subwoofer? Well it was just barely, and I mean just BARELY touching the top of the wood. So when the bass got real heavy, the wood started vibrating. It sounded AWEFUL!!! I was so depressed all day because I thought forsure I had to send this thing back. But I put an extra spacer on the front of each foot, and problem is completely solved... no noise!!!

That's the good news, the bad news is that because of this little mishap, I have spent all day trying to figure out what was wrong with my subwoofer, when I was supposed to be enjoying the speakers. UUUUGGGG!!!!

Well I can tell you this, the M80's are absolutely superb in every way. Bright? Not in my room. I still don't know what was up with poor Bob's room, but there's no way I would ever catagorize these speakers as bright. If anything they're bassy. I'm still astounded by the bass they put out. I was playing them before I hooked up the EP800 and my fiance said, "I can feel the sub, it sounds good", I said, "honey I haven't hooked the sub up yet". Blank stare. I think she thought I was kidding.

Sorry for not a whole lot of feedback on the EP800 yet. I really don't have anything to compare it to other than my old Cerwin Vega 210 watt downfiring sub. Which I can tell you was nowhere in the same league as this monster. While cringing with distress the whole time I was playing the music and listening to that horrid sound (which my brain had linked to a bum speaker), I was able to appreciate that as much bass as the M80's put out, the EP800 adds a substantial amount more. Could I live without the EP800 music wise (haven't tried movies out yet)? Perhaps. The M80's truely impressed me. Of course I heard Steve's, but I never heard Steve's without his dual EP800's playing. So I was pretty much attributing all the bass to his subs. While playing just the M80's I had no clue that much of the bass was just he M80's doing their thing.

And since I'm still used to the look of my old Cerwin Vega's.... big, massive speakers the whole family could eat dinner on... the M80's thin profile really look to me like they have no business what-so-ever putting out that kind of sound, let alone any bass at all. I would have been thrilled with just the M80's alone. But now I have 4 other speakers to discover and enjoy (just hooked the VP150 up, now for the QS8's). If I love any of them half as much as I love the M80's then I'll be happier than a pig in shit!

So this is how the other half has been living!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #263872 06/16/09 05:10 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
That sucks about all of the wasted time trying to track down the problem, but I'm glad you figured it out and got it sorted. That's a great system you've assembled. I look forward to further impressions once you've had more time with it.

Micah #263875 06/16/09 08:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
Bright? Not in my room. I still don't know what was up with poor Bob's room, but there's no way I would ever catagorize these speakers as bright

Thats because they are not bright. There was more at play than Bob's room. He was way to jumpy and insecure about his decision. I don't know why exactly. but I have a feeling that Bob spent more than he could afford when he bought his system.

He hung around Audioholics for a little while and auditioned a few other speakers, but never even mentioned anything about buying.

Fred

-------
fredk #263889 06/16/09 02:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree re 'brightness'. After playing a lot of music on my Axioms from many genres, to me, they sound very neutral(and detailed).

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
onn #263947 06/17/09 02:25 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm about to watch my first movie (Dark Knight) with my new set up, I finally have the QS8's all hooked up. So we'll get to test out the 5.1 channel arrangement finally. One problem, I haven't been able to get the Denon's display to come up on screen for some reason? So I haven't been able to set all the distances from the speakers to my seating. I'm not sure what the problem is, but we'll see how it goes.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #263979 06/17/09 06:54 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Wow talk about a bummer!!! My son and I watched 'Dark Knight' and I couldn't get the EP800 to work? I tried every setting and the light wouldn't come on for anything, so I assumed that it wasn't being sent a signal. So I figured I'd troubleshoot it after the movie. Well after the movie was over I tried everything I could think of... nothing. WTF??? So once again I'm thinking I have to send this thing back. Ok I check one more thing... I'd blown a fuse! Damn it man, so then my son and I drove all over town trying to find a replacement fuse. But of course neither Walmart or Meijer's had that size. Why must everything be so difficult???

This reminded me of my Cerwin Vega's. I used to blow the fuse in the right main speaker everytime I went past +2 on the Denon. I figured it was a problem with the Cerwin's. I don't even know when I blew this fuse? I was listening to music earlier today, not even very loud, and it was working just fine. So I'm at a loss, is it something with the Denon? I don't see how the Denon could blow a fuse in the EP800 though since it doesn't actually power it. But why do I have so many problems with fuses, does anyone else ever blow fuses in their speakers?

The only good news, the M80's really did do a fairly decent job in filling in the bass. Of course the EP800 would have hit the lower notes much better. But once again I'm mighty impressed with the M80's. Now I just have to go get some fuses at Lowes or somewhere. I don't have to send for them in Canada or anything crazy like that do I????

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #263981 06/17/09 07:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
OK, that really sucks! I don't know what would cause a fuse to go. Maybe your line level out from the Denon is to high??

Fred

-------
fredk #263984 06/17/09 08:16 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
How do I check that?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #264074 06/18/09 02:59 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I scoured this town for fuses today. The problem was that the fuse is a 3.15 amp, and all I could find was either a 3 amp or a 5 amp fuse... no 3.15 amp. So I got the 3 amp fuse. I figured the 5 amp fuse would allow too much damage to the internals before blowing if something were to go wrong. But since I had to use a 3 amp fuse it will blow sooner than the stock fuse would have... arrrrrgggg!!!!

Of course I'm hoping that the blown fuse was a simple fluke, but ya never know. I will say one thing I have learned from my set-up... looks aren't everything. When I designed the closet, I thought the EP600/800 would look fabulous down below the screen where I put it. And don't get me wrong, I do love the way my room looks. However, I think I've traded off a bit of LFE for the placement of the subwoofer below the screen. Why do I feel this way? Well because when I go inside the closet for a movie or CD and the music is still playing, there is a noticable addition of lower frequency effects bouncing around inside the closet.

Do I feel my system lacks LFE? Not in the least. But it does make me wonder what I could have gotten out of it by playing around with the placement of the sub rather than just cutting a hole out in the bottom of the closet and deciding it would go there 'just because'. Ok don't get me wrong, I'm not kicking myself in the least. I'm just curious more than anything what it would have sounded like... say directly behind the couch? There's a chance that I wouldn't have liked it anywhere but where I put it. But I guess if I had to do it over again, I'd have tried it in different locations first just to sooth my curiosities.

I guess maybe this means I need to buy a SECOND EP800 and play around with it's location? Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize that's just what I'm a gonna have to do! ;\)

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Page 5 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 47 48

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard