Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Grounding and hum
Ajax #264780 06/28/09 09:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
And that memory thing only gets worse.

They say it's the first thing to go. Now what was the second?... ;\)

Scott

Scott

My HT
Ajax #264792 06/29/09 01:32 AM
F
frequent flier
frequent flier
F
Alan,

Do you have any advice on dealing with HTPCs? Fixing the poor ground on the cable tv line has almost eliminated that as a source, but the HTPC is definitely introducing some noise (EMI/RFI I'm sure) into the system. I was going to switch to an optical connection for the audio, but there is also a small of noise being introduced by the HDMI connection from the HTPC. Not really sure what the options are here aside from trying a whole different HTPC such as a laptop based system that uses an isolated ungrounded power supply and runs via DC only internally...

Anyone have any ideas?

At this point the hum is around the <15db level (I'm guesstimating). It's really really low, but the idea that it should be completely silent is driving me nuts.

Also, I doubt it's actually an issue, but in term of interconnects from pre to amp... Should I be using RG-59 or RG-6 coax interconnects here? Do I really need quad shielded RG-6 to go the 2 ft or so? Right now the interconnects don't seem to be introducing any noise. I can verify that by taking out all the sources form the pre and connecting my iPod to the Aux in... everything is dead silent even with my current RG-59 based interconnects.

Foobarred #264799 06/29/09 03:22 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Foo, on your point about the pre-out connections, RG-59 would nearly always be adequately shielded for a typical home environment, even for considerably longer distances than that. RG-6(which may or may not be more heavily shielded)isn't needed.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #264821 06/29/09 04:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Foo,

I'd agree with JohnK on the RG-59 as being entirely adequate and your not needing RG-6.

Your idea of using a laptop with the isolated power supply may be a solution, but frankly I'm not experienced with HDMI/grounding issues using a home theater PC in a system.

Of course we all want dead-silent noise-free systems, but from a practical point of view, without a lot of tedious trouble-shooting, it's almost impossible to entirely eliminate all noise from a system.

I think the goal of achieveing no audible hum/hiss from your listening area when the volume is advanced to a level that would normallly generate very loud sound with CD or movie playback is a worthy one and achievable without becoming obsessively preoccupied with eliminating all audible hiss/hum with your ear next to the speakers and volume control fully advanced.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472