Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Distortion Question (Dave Matthews disc)
#265530 07/06/09 03:35 PM
cb919 Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Guys, I spent a great Friday night with some friends enjoying the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City on Blu-Ray. As many of you know, simply awesome stuff! Thanks to all as it was this forum that pointed me to purchasing that disc a few weeks ago.

Now to my question - during the first encore just before Dave plays 'Some Devil', I noticed quite a bit of distortion coming from my tweeters on my W22's. Has anybody else noticed this? I am just trying to determine if it's coming from the audio track itself or if I should be contacting Axiom. I am listening to the Dolby HD track. If I put my ear right at the tweeters I believe I can here distortion on other tracks as well, but it's really obvious from the listening position for this particular track intro. Please let me know if I'm going crazy!

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
Re: Distortion Question (Dave Matthews disc)
cb919 #265533 07/06/09 03:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It could be a number of things causing this. Do you notice this only with this blu-ray? How does other material sound from the listening position as well as at your ear directly to the tweeter? What does it sound like a hiss/buzz or more "scratchy" sounding. What are you powering your system with and how loud are you listening (to rule out distortion from receiver clipping).

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #265535 07/06/09 04:20 PM
cb919 Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hi doc.

It's one of those things that almost becomes 'mental'. Now that I have heard this, I am constantly listening for it.

To answer your questions though - I have not had the opportunity to sample with other material yet, so it's just been the radio City blu-ray with the Dolby HD track. Volume is not excessive - running avout -30db, my usual range for movie watching - which equates to about 80 dB. With my ear next to the tweeter I turn it down to preserve my hearing! Clipping should not be an issue. Also, it's a new Pio SC-05 which has the digital ICE amp so should not distort anyway. it's not a hiss or buzz, more 'scratchy' as you put it.

Dan
cb919 #265538 07/06/09 04:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That would rule out any clipping. It sounds more like a bad tweeter. Is this scratchy sound only coming out of one speaker or both.

You can also try removing the tweeter and look for a loose connection/wire.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #265539 07/06/09 05:11 PM
cb919 Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Coming from both - I even swapped my L and R speakers just to see if anything followed. I learned it is more prominent in the right channel (even with speaker swap), but present in both speakers' tweeters regardless of position. I am curious though if there is distortion in that particular track or if it is only a result of blown tweeters. I have verified as best I can that my center (W150) and QS8's are all ok.

Which leads to my next question - what would cause blown tweeters? I've only had my Axiom's since April this year. I've done my fair share of listening to movies and music, but have not had any 'pops' or other sonic irregularities that I am aware of that would cause the tweeters to blow. Is it just my dumb luck?

Dan
cb919 #265540 07/06/09 05:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You can try removing the tweeter in one of the W22's and check to see if the connections are secure. That is the only other problem I can think of besides a bad tweeter that would cause a scratchy sound. It is very rare to have 2 bad tweeters or 2 loose connections but it is not impossible I guess. Bad luck, most definitely.

Cheers!

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #265541 07/06/09 05:36 PM
cb919 Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
OK - update - I think I just answered my own question. I just realised I can listen to each of the tracks on the DMB website. Even listening to compressed streaming over the www with average headphones there is no trace of the distortion I am hearing on my home setup - I guess it's not in the track. On the flip-side it makes me realise (again) how good the Axiom's sound. Aside from my current distortion issue there is a world of difference from my average headphones in the office to my home axiom setup! Guess I'll email Axiom now...

Dan
cb919 #265706 07/09/09 12:44 AM
L
frequent flier
frequent flier
L
Dan,

This is an interesting issue. I have a pair of M3s, and have also noticed a scratchy sound from the right speaker on certain tracks. I'm a recent owner as well, so I'd be interested in hearing what you learn from Axiom.

-Nathan

laingn2 #265708 07/09/09 01:04 AM
cb919 Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Welcome to the Axiom Club Nathan.

After further investigation and closer listening - and listening to the same tracks through the DMB website (as mentioned in my post) I am sure both the tweeters in my W22's have 'blown'. It is more obvious in some tracks than others, but if I turn the volume down and put my ear right next to the tweeter I can tell something does not sound quite 'right'. If I do the same with my W150 center channel the signal from both tweeters sounds normal (not scratchy).

I have emailed with JC and Axiom has already sent me two new tweeters. I will install them this weekend to make my system whole again.

I have cranked up my system in the past (as all of us do \:D ), but I am really not sure when or how my tweeters were damaged as I don't recall any particular bad moment (hiss/crackle/pop) that could have damaged them. Nor did I have the system ridiculously loud - just louder than usual for short periods of testing.

Oh well, I'll definitely be more aware with the new tweeters as I don't care to repeat this situation.

BTW, how do you like the M3's? I am thinking of them for a future bookshelf setup without a sub.

Dan
cb919 #265709 07/09/09 01:09 AM
L
frequent flier
frequent flier
L
Thanks, Dan. I think I might email Axiom as well. Are the tweeters difficult to install? Hopefully instructions would be included.

The M3s are my first pair of high-quality speakers, but I enjoy them quite a lot. I listen through many styles, from classical to metal, and movies, they do justice to it all.

I recommend them for a bookshelf setup.

Now I just need (or want) a high-quality sub and a high-res (SACD/DVD-A) player.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters