Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 48 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 47 48
Re: The world's newest Axiomite it born...
grunt #265381 07/04/09 11:23 PM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
It is only natural to be biased towards the brand you have invested all your money in. Before you make an investment like this one usually spends a fair amount of time before hand researching their purchase. After weighing the price verses the performance of whatever system you decide to buy you generally should feel happy with what you've gotten.

So when you show up to a GTG with your speakers, the most common thing to do would be to pick apart everyone elses speakers flaws (after all no speaker is perfect) and concentrate on all of the positve aspects of your own. It's human nature. So when taking his M80's to perform against the SongTowers you would expect nothing less than for them to find something wrong with them (in Bobs thread they all felt they were too bright... including Bob. However he did admit they sounded a whole lot better in the treated room verses his own room), while reconfirming to themselves all the strengths of the ST's.

I didn't expect them to say, "wow those speakers sound wonderful, and soooo much better that these Salks that I spent 50% more money on... Boy do I ever feel dumb now". Even if they did feel that way it would never be said. If someone were to bring a pair of $500 dollar Pioneer towers that they'd picked up down at Sears and they sounded anywhere close to as good as my M80's I would probably be too embarrassed to admit it. I would have to scramble and find a song that the Axioms played better just to sooth my wounded pride.

And to be fair people do have different tastes. So I really don't doubt that they genuinly did prefer the sound of their speakers over the Axioms anyway. Still it was interesting to see the comments about how much bass they produced. Some even mentioned they sounded 'boomy'... That is rediculous, they reproduce bass extremely accurately. Tight, fast, smooth bass. But compared to the SongTowers which apparently don't give off as much bass, I could see how they might consider the M80's 'boomy'.

That's where blind tests really come in handy. When you can't be biased because you don't know what you are listening to, it makes it a lot harder to be critical. For all you know you might be listening to the speakers you love and are proud to own. So your natural reaction would be to find the positive aspects of whatever is playing at the time.

A blind test of 3 - 5 speakers would be super cool actually. I would love to see what I really think of my own speakers next to someone elses, let alone what I think of someone elses next to mine. When is the next midwest GTG???

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #265392 07/05/09 12:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

I agree with your points. Being a social scientist by education I love reading the discussions that develop in forums about different opinion based topics like “my speakers are better than yours.” The shear level of emotion and rationalization with which many people post about their various AV purchases is a good anecdotal indication of just how subjective this hobby is.

A blind test is the only way IMO to make a GTG worthwhile. Knowing which/who’s speaker is playing brings so many social psychological factors into play it will almost always make any conclusions about relative quality worthless. Very few people, I mean a miniscule number, can withstand the norming effect of social pressure, and most consider those people to be anti-social.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #265401 07/05/09 03:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
I didn’t read about the GTG but if it’s a group of a Salk owners It’s likely which they will prefer Salk and the same is true for a bunch of Axiom owners preferring Axioms.

From the people on the list I recognize its not a fanboy convention, but a group of people really interested in hearing what other speakers sound like.

All the positive buzz on the Songtowers will give them a bias though.

By the way, of the pro reviews that I have read on the songtower, the weakness is in the top end and most who have heard them with the ribbon tweeter upgrade prefer it because of the greater detail.

I still think that Bob was in over his head budget wise. There was an underlying anxiety in his posts that reminded me of people in financial distress.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #265419 07/05/09 06:25 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
That's the strange part though. Buying Axioms should make you feel pretty good if you're finances are strained. Because you get a lot of speaker, for a fairly low cost. I mean they aren't blue light special speakers. But they perform far above what their retail would suggest.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #265421 07/05/09 06:29 AM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
I would agree with Micah. I was close to buying a nice JBL setup from a local dealer, when my buddy mentioned Axiom to me after buying a 6.1 setup last year. It just seemed for 40% more money you were getting so much more speaker, and then to get substantially better speakers from the Axioms, you had to spend a truckload of cash. Sealed the deal for me.

Micah #265430 07/05/09 01:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That would depend on how strained your finances are Micah. Some people spend way beyond their means. Anyway, its just speculation on my part.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #265436 07/05/09 03:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Micah,

What is the latest status on your EP800?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #265445 07/05/09 05:50 PM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Right side speaker is bad. I was way too busy to even mess with it last week, but first thing Monday I'm going to call in for a replacement speaker.
The good news is that it still works pretty good for most music, so I have been able to enjoy it. But when it's movie time, that's when the problem really shows itself. The lower frequencies throw the right hand speaker into convulsions and it sounds terrible. Which really sucks since I love movies so much!

One question, does anyone here modify their speakers at all? Specifically their subwoofer box's? The reason I ask is because when.I had the amp removed from the EP800 & was checking out the speaker travel I noticed A LOT of vibration from the cabinet itself. Of course this is only normal with twin 12 inch woofers pumping out buttloads of bass, but it got me thinking... when I was putting my car system together we did the whole inside of the car and the trunk n Dynomat (sound field damper). Then we took the JL box that housed 3 W6 V2 10 inch subwoofers apart and lined the insides of the box with the Dynomat as well. And like I said before that box reproduced bass unlike anything I've ever heard... for two whole weeks until it was stolen that is.

Since I never heard the box before hand its hard to say whether or not the Dynomat made any difference in the sound quality, but the guy helping me said it would take out any unnecessary vibrations & just make the whole box more solid. So I was thinking about doing the same with the EP800 and seeing if I could tell a difference in sound quality. Just curious if anyone else had done anything like that or even something else that they found favorable results with?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Zimm #265452 07/05/09 09:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Zimm, that's really cool. For the love of Pete, I hope that is Teri loading me up, dressed in the gray spandex suit, rather than Dean

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #265460 07/06/09 12:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you’re looking for something grayish how about a seven of nine cosplay outfit.

Coplay has to be one of the best Japanese inventions ever.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Page 14 of 48 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 47 48

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup