Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: M33 V2 As center channel
MarkSJohnson #266681 07/21/09 10:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Dean, maybe it's just that you don't know how to setup or calibrate your system?

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves… ;\)

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #266690 07/21/09 01:26 PM
veteran
veteran
Very interesting observations, thank you for posting them! In a recent post I was mentioning how I have slowly, but surely, been transitioning to more stereo listening (at least with the front speakers) over the last several months. I have always assumed that my space limitations are what lead to a the better sound with just the M60's and a phantom center. Dang it, now I'll have to kill several evenings playing with the system ;\)

M60x2, VP150, M22x2
Sennheiser HD-595
Onkyo TX-SR507, PS3 (40gb)
Golden #266704 07/21/09 04:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Its good to see that we fixed your 'not playing enough' problem.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Golden #266705 07/21/09 04:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
+1

Thanks for that Dean. In my opinion we are all welcome to own own opnions and favorte settings. And these are simply your opnions and beliefs. Its not like you started a thread that said, "DON'T BY THE VP150"!!! You've acknowledged that it is a fine speaker, but that you prefer the sounds of other speakers over it as a center. And you are certainly welcome to do whatever you want with your money.

But now I'm scared... as you said I'm in audio bliss right now. If I go trying out a phantom center I'm afraid of what I might discover!!! No not really, actually if you've read my posts you'll have seen when I mentioned that I actually prefer to move some of the center channel duty out to the M80's myself. For me it creates a more 'enveloping' atmosphere. In my 7/5 channel mode I use for music I have the M80's handling about 75% of the signal and the VP150 the other 25%. And it sounds so fantastic I can hardly stand it!!!

It our money, I say we use it however it suits us best. I too believe that the 'usual' set up is just the best set-up for the majority of people, not for ALL people. In my quest to get even more performance out of my EP800 I've been very cautious not to come off sounding like I'm at all dissappointed in the unit as is (well, save for the bad amp and defective speaker). In fact I think its an awesome piece of equipment. But then when it occured to me that $50 dollars worth of Dynomat may make it even better, I figured "why not try it"?

Then Alan reminded me that it would technically void my warrantee... so there's one reason. Perhaps I'll hold off on that experiment until the warrantee has run out? Or perhaps I'll throw caution to the wind and "damn the torpedo's"!!! If it works out it will be worth the risk. I'm definately going to wait until I get my replacement woofer in it to make sure that fixes my clanking problem during movies though. Because if it doesn't I may have to swap this unit out for another one.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #266738 07/21/09 06:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Golden

Very interesting observations, thank you for posting them! In a recent post I was mentioning how I have slowly, but surely, been transitioning to more stereo listening (at least with the front speakers) over the last several months. I have always assumed that my space limitations are what lead to a the better sound with just the M60's and a phantom center. Dang it, now I'll have to kill several evenings playing with the system

I went through the exact same transition ending up “backing” into mostly 2ch music listening. I say “backing” into because I’m no life long audio snob who pines for the good old days. I didn’t really start serious music listening until I had 5.1 yet slowly found I preferred 2.0/2.1 for most stereo music (dedicated 5.1 is a different story).

I found that moving to a larger room w/vaulted ceiling makes stereo even more enveloping for me. Elevating my M80s also enhances that effect which makes me curious to try Dolby PLIIz presence channels since I’m totally under-whelmed with PLIIx rear channels.

Originally Posted By: Micah

No not really, actually if you've read my posts you'll have seen when I mentioned that I actually prefer to move some of the center channel duty out to the M80's myself. For me it creates a more 'enveloping' atmosphere. In my 7/5 channel mode I use for music I have the M80's handling about 75% of the signal and the VP150 the other 25%. And it sounds so fantastic I can hardly stand it!!!

Good point that reminded me of something I forgot to mention. Not all movie soundtracks sound better in 4.1/6.1 (phantom center) than 5.1/7.1 to me. While researching this I read that some sound engineers mix some of the center channel information into the L/R mains because I helps create a more seamless front soundstage which may be the reason. Sounds like that’s exactly what you are doing by moving some of the center channel duties to the M80s.

Originally Posted By: Micah

It our money, I say we use it however it suit s us best. I too believe that the 'usual' set up is just the best set-up for the majority of people, not for ALL people…But then when it occured to me that $50 dollars worth of Dynomat may make it even better,

My feelings exactly. Conventional wisdom usually develops as a good general compromise for people who just want things to work well. I view the denizens of forums like this as not your average user but more power users who may benefit from tweaking and experimentation. I love learning from the experience of others who like to experiment especially with things I might not have considered or thought important enough to try.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters