Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Information: Axioms & Klipsch - Similar Sound
#26808 12/03/03 01:18 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
First of all, let me qualify what I am trying to achieve:

I have listened to Klipsch speakers and appreciate the highs and lows reproduced by the Reference line of speakers.

I am a bit put out by the prices that even "great deals" offer on the Reference line of Klipsch speakers.

I am not attempting to start a flame war nor am attempting to bash either Axiom or Klipsch.

I am trying to determine how the speakers offered by Axiom (although not being "horn" speakers) will compare soundwise to speakers offered in the Reference line of Klipsch.

For lack of a better term, it has been suggested that I would probably like Axiom speakers as both Axiom and Klipsch would be considered "bright".

I am hoping to find those who have listened to both sets to give their input to someone trying to get the most out of a budget for a set of "real" speakers as a replacement for a set of Sony VE-315 HTIB speakers.

I like speakers that make horns sound like horns, not subdued but also with enough bass response that will stand up to being run in analog direct mode from vinyl (bypassing the newly acquired SVS 20-39 PC+) and still reproduce baselines from a bass guitar and drums correctly and with presence.

As an added avenue: Any Axiom owners in Austin, Texas who would agree to a demonstration?

Regards,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
Re: Information: Axioms & Klipsch - Similar Sound
#26809 12/03/03 02:03 AM
devotee
devotee
little comment-i too like the klipsch highs, but am getting the axioms

to find someone in austin area try this

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=first&Number=12763&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#26810 12/03/03 02:08 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Welcome WF, and no, Axioms aren't "bright", they're accurate. If the recording is bright, then the sound you hear will be, unless your room is very dead. If the recording is too hot, as many poorly-recorded pop items are, that's what tone controls or equalizers on the receiver are for.

So far as a demo, check the thread for that on the Questions board and you'll see that HGP in Austin is listed with a nice setup using M60s. He hasn't checked in recently, but give him a PM and maybe the counsellor can accommodate you.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#26811 12/03/03 03:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I almost bought Klipsch RF7s before I rolled the dice on some M60s. I liked the RF7s bass and highs, but I was coming from a pair of Cerwin Vega type big box speakers with raspy horn tweeters. The RF7s would have been a huge improvement over those. From what I remember, and it has been colored by time and the limits of human perception, the RF7s have more bass and are physically larger and better looking speakers than the Axioms. But that is about it. In every other respect the M60s are superior, and far cheaper. The highs are crystal clear, the separation and soundstage are awesome, and the bass can be supplemented with a sub. You could probably get a complete Axiom surround package with an SVS SS sub for around the price you would pay for the Klipsch RF7s, surrounds and sub.

#26812 12/03/03 04:24 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
BigWill,
Thanks for the response. It is information like that I am looking for. One of my concerns is the vinyl veneer on the Axioms...I wish they came in real wood veneer. How do you find the finish on yours?

BTW, just received my SVS 20-39 PC+ on Wednesday of last week (my birthday)...best birthday present I have ever gotten. Pirates of the Caribbean sounds fantastic with it in the mix especially compared to the paltry 75 watt sub that originally came with the HTIB speaker set.

If I can get in touch with HGP, maybe I can hear a set of M60's and come to a decision.

Regards,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#26813 12/03/03 04:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The black vinyl on mine looks alright actually. If I had it to do over I would have opted for one of the high gloss custom finishes available. We had a discussion about wood vs. vinyl here a while back. My opinion is that wood veneers over MDF is no more authentic than vinyl veneers over MDF. The vinyl also offers some advantages, ie, the huge selection of custom finishes available to fit your decor. Might be particularly important with your rear surrounds.
If you're into wood save your dough to buy really nice solid wood furniture that will be handed down through generations. There's no chance that your grandchildren will be listening to whatever speakers you buy today, 50 years from now.

#26814 12/03/03 07:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had a Klipsch Classic Series KLF C7 center - great big 8" drivers and a huge center horn tweeter. Used it with a pair of Axiom M60 like Michaura M665s. After finally setting up the M665s correctly (moved them 3' from the wall and toed them in slightly) I found these speakers a great match with the M60 like front speakers.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#26815 12/05/03 03:45 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
No one else have any experiences with Klipsch and Axioms?

Am planning on visiting HGP this weekend to listen to his M60's but I would still love to hear others opinions.

Best Regards & Happy Holidays to All,

WhatFurrer

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

#26816 12/05/03 05:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Everyone's opinion will be based on taste. Not everyone has the same taste, or even ear. I see one person say a receiver is 'bright,' the next says it is 'laid back,' then the next says a receiver has nothing to do with 'brightness.' Some like 'brightness,' some hate it.

Same is applied to speakers.

Listen to the M60's, then the Klips you are interested in.

Make your decision on what YOU like the best.

#26817 12/08/03 10:20 AM
devotee
devotee
HGP?
is this a local audio store? or is it a chain

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics