AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13315 Members
11 Forums
22873 Topics
404169 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17767
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11192
MarkSJohnson 10875
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Get a Gift Card Worth 20% of Your Purchase! Save hundreds!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#268383 - 08/06/09 05:37 AM I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here!)
MarkSJohnson Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
We've all been impressed with the amount of knowledge that's been expressed on these boards. Knowledge on a huge array of topics by a huge array of people. And sometimes I've thought of a question for which I've always wondered the answer....

So, ask anything you want here. I, sure as sh*t, won't have the answer.... but someone will! I'll go first to see if I can get the ball rolling...

What's the point with "bail"? I don't understand.

A crime is committed, a person is arrested, but...what? We're willing to let them go free for awhile if they pony up some cash? Whether that bail is set high or low, isn't it still going to be the rich guy who gets out of jail for awhile and the poor guy who is stuck there?

#268384 - 08/06/09 07:56 AM Re: I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here!) [Re: MarkSJohnson]
Ajax Offline
axiomite

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Presumed innocent until proved otherwise (a difficult premise to swallow when the culprit is caught in flagrante)

Yep, the more money one has, the more likely one will be able to make bail.

Good morning, Marcus! I hope you're back in bed after being up so early. I'm about to breakfast down and crawl back in myself.

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

#268387 - 08/06/09 08:35 AM Re: I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here!) [Re: Ajax]
MarkSJohnson Offline

Well, I understand "presumed innocent", but then why not let EVERY non-threatening person back out until trial as a matter of policy. How come it seems arbitrary and financially based?

Back to bed? No way!

I've been getting up at 5AM and walking (almost) every morning! (You're not likely to see too many posts from me after 10PM, though!)

#268388 - 08/06/09 08:45 AM Re: I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here!) [Re: MarkSJohnson]
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club

Loc: Richland, WA, USA
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Well, I understand "presumed innocent", but then why not let EVERY non-threatening person back out until trial as a matter of policy. How come it seems arbitrary and financially based?

It's just that there has to be motivation to come back for trial. Money is the closest thing to a one-size-fits-all motivator. Bail amounts vary based on the circumstances, and it's not always an option, depending on the risk of flight. At least, according to Law & Order.

#268389 - 08/06/09 08:56 AM Re: I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here!) [Re: CV]
Ken.C Offline

Loc: NoVA
OK, I've got one. If a solid dissolves in a liquid, does the volume of the liquid change? My canonical example is sugar cubes in coffee. If the sugar cubes are in the mug, then the coffee is poured over them, does the total volume of stuff in the mug change as the cubes dissolve?

#268390 - 08/06/09 09:08 AM Re: I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here!) [Re: CV]
MarkSJohnson Offline

Post deleted by me so as to not take away from Ken's question.

Edited by MarkSJohnson (08/06/09 09:09 AM)

#268392 - 08/06/09 09:21 AM Re: I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here! [Re: Ken.C]
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Ken, I'd say as the sugar cube becomes saturated with coffee, the total volume in the cup decreases, since there are pockets of air in the sugar cube being displaced by the coffee. Once the point of saturation is reached, My guess is the volume decrease yet again when the sugar dissolves out of it's solid form into a liquid solution. I'm willing to bet the coffee-water-sugar solution can pack more molecules in a tighter space than the crystallized sugar cube.

I have no proof of this.

#268393 - 08/06/09 09:32 AM Re: I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here! [Re: pmbuko]
Ken.C Offline

Loc: NoVA
That was pretty much what I was thinking, but I'm usually thinking it when I'm half asleep. Much as I am now.

#268395 - 08/06/09 09:58 AM Re: I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here! [Re: Ken.C]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Loc: It's all about the location.
If you are travelling the speed of light, then turn on your headlights, what happens?

#268396 - 08/06/09 10:11 AM Re: I've Always Wondered... (Insert Question Here! [Re: Adrian]
ClubNeon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Western Maryland, USA
The headlights turn on like normal. The speed of light is constant relative to the observer.
-Chris

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.