Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Electronic Drums - Your thoughts are appreciated!
#268528 08/07/09 03:13 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Good Day

I am interested in getting some electronic drums. I have never played, at least not real ones, but have always like to do the air drummer thing. I don't want to spend a huge chunk of change here, but would like something that sounds good and is of good quality. If I really like it and get good, Ill spend some more money on a really good system in a year or two, or three, or four.

I have been looking at the OSP DD-502. You can get at set on Ebay for under $500. Anybody ever used these. Thoughts? Is there a Canadian distributor?

Or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks in advance!

pn

Last edited by Worfzara; 08/07/09 03:21 PM.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Re: Electronic Drums - Your thoughts are appreciated!
Worfzara #268529 08/07/09 03:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Try Steve's Music Store down on Queen St in T.O. They have a great selection of drums amongst other things.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #268537 08/07/09 04:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have never heard of the OSP DD-502 (Yamaha and especially Roland are the big names in e-drumming) but did a quick search and it seems reasonable for someone, like yourself, that isn't sure how far they would take learning drums. I agree with Adrian though, hit a local store (especially if they happen to sell a model that you are looking at) and give them a try. You don't have to be a pro-drummer to bang on the drums in the store, so don't worry about what others think. Tell them that you are looking for a low cost electronic drum set to see if you want to pursue drumming...

WARNING: DO NOT CONNECT ANY ELECTRONIC DRUM SET TO YOUR RECEIVER/AMP AND THEN TO YOUR AXIOMS! THIS IS BAD AND COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE SPEAKERS! Alan chimed in to my question about it a couple of years ago and had a more technical explanation, but just don't do it. Instead, get some nice 'over-the-ear' type headphones and jam away! Don't use ear-bud style or small headphones as they are greatly lacking in the lower frequencies. Then, if you like what you are doing, buy a dedicated drum amp that can grow with you.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #268585 08/08/09 01:27 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks for the advice.

No need to worry about connecting to my Axiom's, I love them way to much to do that. I have always been a big believer in keeping home / HT audio separate from professional music equipment.

I'll check out Steve's when I am in Toronto next Wednesday.

One of the reasons I am looking at electronic drums is that fact I can use head phones. Makes it better for me, the wife and the kids.

pn

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #268799 08/10/09 12:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey Worf,

I went through this question on this board last fall but couldn't find it with the searchless engine. Here is what I can remember and it was all proven very true from my experience so far.

If at all possible, go with a starter set from Roland. The Yamaha's (it's only 'popular' competitor) does not have nearly as good a record for durability according to my research.

Make sure that at least the Snare is a mesh pad instead of rubber. You will instantly feel the difference when you try them oput in a music store. The snare is the drum (symbols aside) that you hit the most and your wrists will thank you for it. Also, you will want the mesh feel to learn how to do drum rolls properly. They are also adjustable so you can tune the feel and bouce the way you want it.

Hitting the rubber pads for Toms is good enough for learning but make sure you buy a kit that allows for converting them to mesh down the road in case you decide you like it and get serious. I'm keeping the rubber toms for a while yet but I already know I will want to change them out to mesh down the road someday.

Make sure the symbols and at least the snare have multiple sensors, "dual trigger." In other words, it at least knows the difference between a hit in the middle and a rim shot. My symbols change the tone as you get closer to the inside bell (just like real ones) and rimshots sound like rimshots. Some cheap sets don't let you do this.

I also bought electronic drums to use earphones and save my wife from the noise. Be aware the tapping is still a bit loud but nothing like the crashing and thud of an acoustic set. As long as she is in a different room with the door closed, I'm good.

You will want to get good earphones. Buds are useless and even cheaper open ear phones make them sound weird. Especially the kick drum. Fine for practice but you will want to start saving for a good set of cans down the road.

Finally, One of the other great things about electronic drums is that you can input tunes from your PC into the drum brain and listen to them while you play and still not bother anyone. Very quickly you will find that you want your laptop or monitor in direct view with a mouse within arms reach. This also is great for online drum tutorials as you need to hit pause quiet often.

I plan on making a little table beside me for the mouse but for now, I'm using a beer holder that attaches to the drum frame as a mouse holder the the floor tom as a mouse pad. And in case your wondering, the extra sticks get tossed and my stick holder becomes the beer holder. I wouldn't want Tom getting mad at me there.

If you are interested, I bought this set and I am very happy. Looks like they changed the 5 to a k in the model number and changed, probably upgraded, the drum brain but it's otherwise essentially the same.

Roland TD-9K Drums

Edit:
Another learning. Depending on your floor, you may find that the floor pedals start to slip away from you, especially the kick drum pad. The bases come with adjustable metal spikes for carpet and Velcro like pads for carpet but if you have hardwood or another type of hard floor, you will save a lot of frustration by buying a drum mat. I just bought a length of bulk, black floor mat material and it works great for cheap.

Last edited by Murph; 08/10/09 12:37 PM. Reason: final thought

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044