Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
Skiing Ninja. Anyone heard of this
#268693 08/09/09 05:47 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Came across this at audio circle forum. Anyone else tried these or know about them. HOw can this guy know more about axiom speakers than axiom . He also absolutely slaughters the m80 verbally.

http://www.skiingninja.com/Axiom-M22v2-Upgrades-p/m22v2.htm

Last edited by Socketman; 08/09/09 06:01 AM.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Re: Skiing Ninja. Anyone heard of this
Gr8_White_North #268694 08/09/09 05:57 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My quick take on them is that they like to take certain brands, find/create "faults" with them, and then sell outrageously priced "fixes" to them.

Last edited by nickbuol; 08/09/09 05:57 AM.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #268695 08/09/09 06:06 AM
shareholder in the making
We've seen him around these parts before. Basically, what I figure is he's pretty pissed at the Axiom community for the savage beating (whether deserved or not) he received at this forum's hands--and he's taking it out on Axiom itself.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
nickbuol #268696 08/09/09 06:15 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Just something i stumbled across, not trying to cause any trouble. My ears know what they like, and i am happy with my choices.I have to agree that seems like a really steep price for a cross over. I have been lurking around diy speaker forums and no reason it sould cost like that. Seems he is looing to make some easy cash.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #268697 08/09/09 06:17 AM
Oh, didn't figure you were looking to stir things up. The last thread just got really ugly--on both sides of the issue.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Gr8_White_North #268698 08/09/09 06:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, I've read some about some other speakers the Skiing Ninja modified. He's just an aftermarketeer, there are dozens of them around. Some are good at what they do, some not so much. I haven't personally heard a pair of speakers he's tweaked to know if he's good or bad, but I've heard good things about him, so who knows.

The thing is, this industry is one of the most widely diverse enigma's out there because everyone has an opinion, and no two are exactly the same. While one person is unpacking their Axiom speakers, hooking them up, and getting blown away by the way they sound, another person is unboxing theirs, hooking them up and wishing they sounded a bit 'different'. Like he says in his write-up, they make a fantastic speaker, but in his opinion they can use a little smoothing out. That's his right as a consumer to feel that way. I will admit that while pushing my system with the Emotiva these past two weeks, there are things I'd like to change... but they are all within my room, not the speakers.

This 'Skiing Ninja' had another idea, to change the speaker. Hey whatever floats your boat. If he thinks they sound better after his own adjustments, fantastic. If you decide to shell out the money for this tweak (practiacally doubling the price of the M22 while you're at it), and you like it... more power to you. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Hey I bought a perfectly awesome motorcycle brand new, paid $10,000 for it, and it ran like a scalded dog right out of the crate. But I have since sunk almost another $10,000 dollars into her making her 'mine'. Do I know more than Kawasaki does about their ZX-10R? In short... no. But I have to say I do agree with the theory he puts up on his web site. I too believe Kawasaki has to make trade-off's when they mass produce a bike. It's like they bring a bike to 100% of it's performance potential, then they tone it down a few clicks before they unleash it upon the public. Then I go out and buy the parts (full exhaust, Power Commander 3, velocity stacks, thin head gasket, BMC air filter, +3 rear sprocket, etc, etc, etc...) that for me anyway, make the bike even better. Now this isn't for everyone, the majority of riders will leave their bike stock for the most part. Or they'll change the ergonomics by putting heli-bars on it, lower the rearsets, and slap a Corbin seat on it. You see what I'm saying, to each his own.

If he claims to make the M22's sound 'better', keep in mind he means 'better to HIM'... and probably a minority of other people as well no doubt. But the vast majority of people will not tweak their M22's after they purchase them.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #268700 08/09/09 06:41 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
YOu make really valid points micah, i guess like any zealot i got a little emotional and posted before wrapping my head around the whole scenario.I just dont like his methodology,

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #268706 08/09/09 08:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just read the Skiing Ninja's write up on the M80ti's. And I simply must say that I can't fathom where they're coming from when he speaks of the M80's poor 'off-axis' response? Mind you he is talking about the ti's, and not the v2's I have. However these two speakers share the exact same cabinet design (minus the crossover), so I would think the problems he found with the multiple tweeters would also hold true with my M80v2's... wouldn't they?

Well, I must admit, I have done about 98% of my listening from my 'captian's seat' right in the middle of the room. So I decided it was high time I got up off of my duff and walk around the room to see if I could hear what he was discribing. So over the course of 3 difference songs I constantly walked around the room, changing which direction I was facing, distances to either speaker, distances from walls. I went into each corner and even stood behind the speakers themselves... I was astonished!!!

Ok now keep in mind that I am listening to my stereo in 5/7.1 mode. So sure there are 6 speakers filling the 1200 square feet with music... but even so, while walking around my very poor listening room (dimension and treatment wise) I could barely tell a difference in the sound quality NO MATTER WHERE I STOOD!!! I started laughing hysterically I was so surprised! Seriously the imaging and sound staging was excellent from every position I could walk to in my living room, I never would have thought it possible to disperse the sound so evenly had I not just done the experiment myself 5 minutes ago.

Cancelling out high frequency response at 10 degree's??? I don't know what the scientific graphs show, but my ears can barely hear any difference at all in the sound coming out of these incredible speakers from ANY angle!!! Seriously, are these things for real? I don't think I could love a speaker any more than I love these 'highly critisized by many', but 'unbelievably accurate, clean, and detailed to my ear' Axiom's!!! What a steal at the price I paid!

Still I do have to say I'm intrigued by their findings that the M80's dip down to 2.5 ohms at times. I'm intrigued because it's essentially the same claim Emotiva made about the M80's when defending their amps that went into protection while trying to drive them. Some on here have made their cases as to why there's no way the M80's dip below 4 ohms no matter what. But two separate companies very publicly have shown otherwise. Like I said, intriguing!

Last edited by Micah; 08/09/09 08:30 AM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #268710 08/09/09 11:22 AM
Buth both those companies have a bias to point a finger...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #268711 08/09/09 11:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
If you look at the Ninjas frequency response measurements they are a long way off from independent measurements done in an anechoic chamber at the NRC. Some of the stuff like pointing out the speakers impedance is down to 1.5 Ohms BELOW 10 Hz are just not relevant. Who expects or wants their mains to play below 10Hz?? Unless you want to blow up your woofers...

He misses the mark on the quantifiable stuff.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters