Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grand Master VS Aperion help guys!
#26886 12/04/03 05:25 AM
Haoleb Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hey ...i know...... im not thinkin of buying a HT system... if i was i wouldnt even have to ask this question.

I have a relative visiting here who is putting together an HT system and he has asked me for some advice. He already bought a Onkyo reciever. i dont know the model number.. It was around 1k though. And he needs to buy speakers next. He wants 7.1 since thats what the reciever has.

He said he has read alot of reviews and all kinds of stuff (amazing i havent run into him online) and it sounds like hes nearly decided on Aperion system but he has done his homework and is thinkin of buying an HSU or Sunfire sub instead of the aperion one.

How do those lil aperions compare to the axioms... probbly the grand master system since thats about the price range hes looking at... he hasnt heard my M80's yet so maybe he will want those hehe that would be cool. I was looking at the aperion site and i dunno much about them things. I think the only thing that makes them seem better than the axioms is that they use 1 inch HDF instead of the 3/4 inch HDF axiom uses.

Which sub would you reccomend for either of the systems.?

Any ideas on a SACD/DVDP in the 500 dollar price range?

I want to talk him into axioms since im an axiomite. duh. but i dont see much wrong with the aperions so i dont wanna tell him to buy something else just because i like it better. I dunno. after he hears mine and i talk to him and see what he wants more i might be able to help him get something but now im just wondering how these aperions compare to the axioms. I shouldnt have to ask but i dont follow HT stuff as much as stereo. thanks guys.

Re: Grand Master VS Aperion help guys!
#26887 12/04/03 06:08 AM
devotee
devotee
once he listens to the axioms he should be a fan:)

but if he has heard the aperions already, he should be able to compare the 2 brands and come to a decsion based on that. if he hasnt heard aperions, make him go to a store and test them.

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#26888 12/04/03 06:23 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Brandon, about 6 months ago Craig and Curtis compared the M22 and Ascend 170 with the Aperion at Curtis's and both were of the opinion that the Aperion came in third. Neither is on the board at the moment, but they may be able to give you more details.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#26889 12/04/03 06:58 AM
M
local
local
M
Hi Haleob, I just looked at the Aperion systems. It seems they all consist of multiple two-way bookshelf speakers. If that's what your relative want then you could easily build the same system with M2s'or M3's or M22+M2 for less.

Aperion Booshelf $180 therefore 180 X 7= $1260 + sub

or Axiom:

M2's $128 X 7 = $896 + sub this looks like the closest equivalent to the aperion system

M3's $138 x 7 = $ 966 + sub

M22 $400 + 5 M2's = $1040 + sub

This is assuming he's looking for an all round bookshelf system which may be better for DVD-A or SACD. However, for HT certainly the Epic grand would be better.

Fortunately for him when he listens to your M80's he'll have a good idea of what he can expect....

Unfortunately it look like Aperion is Internet only like Axiom so it wouldn't appear they could be auditioned in a store as someone mentioned. However, they appear to have an even more tempting return policy than Axiom. FREE return shipping. So it wouldn't be to bad to order both Aperion and Axiom systems and compare them at home. Like others have said odds are it would be the Aperions being sent back, and this wouldn't even cost a dime.

Also I've heard Pioneer has a DVD-A/SACD/DVD-video player out for around $173 and has been said to be quite good particularily given the price. Just can't remember the model number.....

Cheers,Jag

#26890 12/04/03 12:58 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Also I've heard Pioneer has a DVD-A/SACD/DVD-video player out for around $173 and has been said to be quite good particularily given the price. Just can't remember the model number.....

It's the DV-563A, and it's a wonderful bargain.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#26891 12/04/03 01:58 PM
devotee
devotee
I'm a former Aperion owner who switched to Axiom.

The Aperions are very good for what they are, but they do not come close to the Axioms for overall sound quality in my opinion. The Aperions are definitely a little more laid back, and as others have pointed out they would be good if you're going for 5-7 identical speakers.

If, however, you're going for a true home theater, I think the Axioms are far superior. It will cost more to get one of Axiom's better center channels & QS surrounds, but the slight boxiness of the Aperions bugged me for movie dialogs. To me the cost increase was modest, and the improved sound was absolutely worth it.

My testing proved to me that even in 2 channel stereo the Axioms also won out by a large margin.

Rich (M22, VP150, QS8, M2i, SVS 20-39PCi)

#26892 12/04/03 04:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I listened to the Ascend 170's, Rocket RS150's and the Axiom M22ti's during that session. I unfortunately didn't hear the Aperion speakers. Curtis did though. Perhaps he can dig up the review he wrote about them.

Here were my thoughts on the speakers I heard that day.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044