Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Distributed home audio
#270261 08/23/09 03:54 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi all,

I've been lurking on and off for years, and am finally moving to a new house where I'll be able to set up some real AV equipment. I have lots of decisions to make, but I was hoping to get your advice on the best ways to get pump music into several different rooms.

For the basement media room I think I'm pretty set on W22/W150/QS8/EP500. It's a 19x16 room. WAF is very key in all of this, so don't bother suggesting M80s \:\)

I am thinking Algonquins for the deck, but everywhere else in the house (family room, bedrooms, etc.) speakers will need to be in ceiling.

Anyway, my main question is how would you recommend getting music to all these different speakers? I want something easy to use, and not a ridiculously expensive automation system. So:

- Do I need a seperate receiver and/or amp for each room?
- Is Sonos a good answer here?

Sorry for the long/open ended post, but I am working with a blank slate here and want to make sure i get something that works together well

Re: Distributed home audio
Chicagojmw #270279 08/23/09 07:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome to the Axiom forum Chicagojmw.

The W22/W150/QS8/EP500 is an excellent choice! This should provide you with plenty "wow" factor. Any of the modern 7.1 recievers these days should have a zone 2 capability which would allow you to power a 5.1 system along with your outdoor speakers. I have never used the zone 2 capability but I believe you would have to install the speaker wire hooked up to the outdoor speakers to the surround back speaker terminals of the receiver and change the settings in the menu of the receiver accordingly so it is setup for 5.1+zone 2 instead of 7.1.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Chicagojmw #270280 08/23/09 07:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you have a usable zone2 or zone3, then the solutions below are overkill. Otherwise...

I don't know much about Sonos (apart from the price) so I cannot say much. The two solutions with which I am familiar (i.e. using) involve a PC.

The first variation makes sense if you already own an iPhone or iTouch or would like to justify buying one! \:\)
1. PC + iTunes (Wi-Fi remote controlled by iPhone) + as many 100$ AirPort express (which then serves as "remote speakers") as you have receivers in your home.

2. PC + SqueezeBox duet (which comes with a Wi-Fi remote + player) + as many 200$ remote player you have receivers.

Solution 1 is a bit less user friendly (because of Apple's strange notion of what a useful remote control is), but is about 50% less expensive.

See Mojo's signature
Chicagojmw #270286 08/23/09 08:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
WAF is very key in all of this, so don't bother suggesting M80s

We would never do that, however, the Architectural 80s would be ideal for that situation.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
EFalardeau #270419 08/24/09 02:31 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

For receivers with zone 2/zone 3 capabilities, how does that work? Would I have to play both zones at the same time or could I have different volume levels / songs going in the different zones. Also if the deck is far away from the receiver how would I control it?

I do own an iphone, so I have definitely looked into the Airport Express and Squeezebox options. Both might work for me, although I had been leaning towards Sonos because 1) I don't have a lot of music so easy access to Pandora/internet radio is a big plus and 2) it lets you play different songs in different zones while I think you can't do that with the others. Who knows how often I'll use that feature, but it sounds cool...

Chicagojmw #270423 08/24/09 02:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Do note that most receivers with multiple zones only allow the analog inputs to be routed to the additional zone or zones. They do not have the ability to play digital (optical, coax, or HDMI) inputs on those outputs. Make sure you check the manual before you invest in a receiver, if that is your plan.

But yes, they do have their own volume control, and allow different content--with the restriction noted above.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Chicagojmw #270459 08/24/09 04:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
SqueezeBoxes would give you ultra-easy access to internet radio (they are quite good at it), but not playing different things in different room unless you have more than one computer, in which case you can bind different players/source.

For both your needs, I would take iTunes/iPhone out of the picture completely (no internet streaming worth mentioning and it is painful to setup multiple iTunes with the same music to play different things at the same time).

See Mojo's signature
Chicagojmw #270461 08/24/09 05:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome! I have the exact W-series arrangement you plan on getting, you will not be disappointed!

I also use Sonos and highly recommend it for the very reasons you mention. As you already know, Squeezebox and Airport will do most of what Sonos does, so it's all about what's worth it to you. For me an expandable system that can play different songs in different rooms was the selling factor for Sonos vs. the other systems (plus my wife surprised me with it for Christmas)!

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #270838 08/27/09 04:18 AM
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I am just building a house and went thru all of this pain in the last few months.

I bought a bunch of T2 in wall speakers (I think they renamed them) and the Outdoor variation for the deck & garage, and am hooking them up to a Leviton amp. The Leviton amp has 7 inputs and six powered zone outputs with a controller in each output zone (room).

For the inputs, I'm going with my Cable Box (music channels), my AVR, Two computers, and an Apple Airport Express.

Basically I'll be able to send any of my inputs to any of the output rooms and control everything in each room.

The Leviton amp is pretty slick, 50W/channel * 12 channels.

They don't really market to retail, more a custom installer item. However, its easy to set up and you can pick it up online.

Have a look here:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=127530§ion=22381

In this way you have easier control of your system than running everything from a single unit which was not designed to be controlled from the speaker locations.

Just my 2c

PSpee #270856 08/27/09 01:36 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
How do you plan to control the Leviton remotely?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters