pmbuko #269496 08/16/09 09:33 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Feelings are mutual.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Re: Electricity Issue - Voltage drops
Wid #269499 08/16/09 10:47 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Feelings.... nothing more than... feelings...

pmbuko #269527 08/17/09 02:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
We have a budding bromance here.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #269607 08/17/09 05:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Another issue with grid induced voltage drops is that they often come back up with a bang. Same as after an outage. I often unplug everything of value during an outage to avoid the potential surge when things restart.

Probably depends a lot on your area but I'm told it's a common risk.

Low power can also be damaging to some electrical components just the same as increased power. A lot of variables to consider so I'll leave it at that. I'm no expert in any case.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #269849 08/19/09 07:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
I often unplug everything of value during an outage to avoid the potential surge when things restart.

Hmmm... That would be the value of a surge protector? It won't protect against lighning, but will prevent nasty surges (and voltage drops??). Its never been completely clear to me whether or not a surge protector automatically does both.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Murph #269981 08/21/09 03:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Another issue with grid induced voltage drops is that they often come back up with a bang.

The grid usually comes back at rated voltage, and usually within 30 cycles or 1/2 second.

Low power can also be damaging to some electrical components just the same as increased power.

I think you mean voltage, not power (if so, I agree!).

The grid provides a potential, or voltage level (your home's loads convert the voltage into power with your house's total impedance) not power. If the voltage spikes (e.g. a strike of lighting) then your equipment can be damaged. A surge suppressor is designed to handle this.

If your voltage sags (e.g. a brownout), then any load that you have that is a constant power output load will draw more current to output it's designed power. This could also damage equipment. I'm not too sure a surge suppressor is really designed for this. Hopefully, your house circuit breaker will.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
SRoode #270451 08/24/09 04:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
Another issue with grid induced voltage drops is that they often come back up with a bang.

The grid usually comes back at rated voltage, and usually within 30 cycles or 1/2 second.

Low power can also be damaging to some electrical components just the same as increased power.

I think you mean voltage, not power (if so, I agree!).

The grid provides a potential, or voltage level (your home's loads convert the voltage into power with your house's total impedance) not power. If the voltage spikes (e.g. a strike of lighting) then your equipment can be damaged. A surge suppressor is designed to handle this.

If your voltage sags (e.g. a brownout), then any load that you have that is a constant power output load will draw more current to output it's designed power. This could also damage equipment. I'm not too sure a surge suppressor is really designed for this. Hopefully, your house circuit breaker will.

The few appliances that I have lost (with a bang) when the grid returned to duty around here would politely argue with you on the general assumption that all grids are designed equal within your fist comment. As would an nearby electrical engineer who works for our local utility. However, this may just lend to this particular area where they have almost exclusive control over the outside plant and central distribution.

Notice I didn't say "generation" as our local Island utility only self generates via a diesel plant when cut off from the mainland grid and the Point Lepreau nuclear facility housed there.

In any case, it's not my expertise so you may be right but I'll continue to be wary from my experiences.

As for saying "power" instead of "voltage". You are correct. I fell for the dangers of speaking in generalities when one is not accustomed to speaking about a particular topic very often.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters