Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: EP175 big enough?
Potatohead #271241 08/31/09 07:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I didn’t realize you gamed or I would have given a more detailed explanation of what is said about gaming. I’m specifically talking about when using 7.1 with traditional speaker placement meaning the surrounds at the side and not a few feet back (which sort of defeats the purpose of 7.1). It doesn’t effect the ambient sounds but then that’s not what’s gonna get you killed. It does really screw up the directional cues. Instead of a sound coming from behind you like it should it usually comes from of to one side or the other.

You can really notice this effect in a game like “Elder Scrolls Oblivion” when you turn your character around in a circle when standing near someone who is talking or near a big fire. The sound pans around until it gets to the back of one side and the gets softer until it jumps to the other side. However with 5.1 and the speakers a little farther back the rear pans are seamless, at least with the QS8s. It’s the phantom back effect John talked about.

Although it’s considered an audio no-no if you do experiment try the QS8s in the corners with a tweeter firing down each wall. The best rear soundstage I ever got was set up like this. The only drawback was some movies like “Master and Commander” got a little boomy when cannonballs were ripping through the ship. So I moved them forward just a bit and got a good compromise.

Once I get some dedicated 7.1 sources and especially if games start shipping in 7.1 I’ll revisit using rears but for now I like 5.1 better.

However, just remember like my avatar I’m an Oddball.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
CV #271269 08/31/09 04:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Agreed. A good sub brings way more into the game than going from 5.1 to 7.1 I had 7.1 in a smaller 12x12' room and took it out as I felt the only thing the rear channel was adding were tippy speaker stands that were hard to get around. In my soon to be larger room (double the length,) I will be experimenting with 7.1 again but still would definitely invest in good subs first.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #271295 08/31/09 06:37 PM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I didn’t realize you gamed or I would have given a more detailed explanation of what is said about gaming. I’m specifically talking about when using 7.1 with traditional speaker placement meaning the surrounds at the side and not a few feet back (which sort of defeats the purpose of 7.1). It doesn’t effect the ambient sounds but then that’s not what’s gonna get you killed. It does really screw up the directional cues. Instead of a sound coming from behind you like it should it usually comes from of to one side or the other.

You can really notice this effect in a game like “Elder Scrolls Oblivion” when you turn your character around in a circle when standing near someone who is talking or near a big fire. The sound pans around until it gets to the back of one side and the gets softer until it jumps to the other side. However with 5.1 and the speakers a little farther back the rear pans are seamless, at least with the QS8s. It’s the phantom back effect John talked about.

Although it’s considered an audio no-no if you do experiment try the QS8s in the corners with a tweeter firing down each wall. The best rear soundstage I ever got was set up like this. The only drawback was some movies like “Master and Commander” got a little boomy when cannonballs were ripping through the ship. So I moved them forward just a bit and got a good compromise.

Once I get some dedicated 7.1 sources and especially if games start shipping in 7.1 I’ll revisit using rears but for now I like 5.1 better.

However, just remember like my avatar I’m an Oddball.

This is pretty funny actually... I knew what you meant with the sound coming from the wrong direction, and in first person shooters (especially online) you have to know where people are and if they are sneaking up on you, or in a room beside you, if you don't want to get blasted all day long.

Oblivion is actually my favorite single player game ever, I probably have 300+ hours into that game. Funny thing is, I hated RPG's until I tried that one... Just an incredible game all around.

I am going to put the QS8's about a foot back from the couch, which will put them about 3 feet from the back wall. From there it's nothing some drywall mud and paint can't fix if I decide to move them later. After sleeping on it some more, I do agree until there is more source material for 7.1, there isn't much point at this time for me to go that way.

I am going to order the PB12-NSD as well. I really want to go Axiom but it seems with the PB12 you're getting pretty much an EP500 for EP350 pricing.

Potatohead #271332 08/31/09 11:03 PM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
Well, the SVS has been ordered. I guess it's easier to ask for forgiveness, than for permission. Mind you, if I'm not posting in a couple weeks, please send help.

112 lbs shipping weight !!##$! What have I got myself into

Potatohead #271333 08/31/09 11:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Better order a doghouse big enough for that sucker! ;\)

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #272047 09/10/09 05:49 AM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
Well, it arrived today.

It is freaking huge. It makes my old Velodyne look like an M22.

My wife saw it and her only words were "holy crap" followed by "how much was that thing?"

I love it \:D

Potatohead #272062 09/10/09 09:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Pictures? Have you hooked it up yet? I still don't get why they don't try slapping a few different finishes on them, I mean for variety and all. A real wood, or wood venere.... heck even a piano black would be kind of sweet. If you want the felt then by all means.... but it just seems kind of hard to make an enormous felt cyclinder blend in with anything at all?

Last edited by Micah; 09/10/09 09:25 AM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
grunt #272092 09/10/09 02:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Grunt,

My understanding of the signals for the height channels is that if there is out-of-phase ambient sound present at equal levels in both channels--like the sound of rain, or waves crashing on a beach, or a howling wind, etc--they pull that and send it to the height channels.

This may explain why if you already have effective surround channels installed (like the QS quadpolar surrounds) which will deliver a highly immersive sense of surround, it becomes very difficult to determine whether the height channels are contributing anything at all.

I ran into an acquaintance from Cnet at a Manhattan press conference and he reported that they conducted a quasi-blind listening test of the height channels turned on or off and no-one could reliably tell when they were on or off. The results were entirely random. Listeners thought they were on when in fact they were not, and vice-versa.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Micah #272102 09/10/09 04:26 PM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Pictures? Have you hooked it up yet? I still don't get why they don't try slapping a few different finishes on them, I mean for variety and all. A real wood, or wood venere.... heck even a piano black would be kind of sweet. If you want the felt then by all means.... but it just seems kind of hard to make an enormous felt cyclinder blend in with anything at all?

I am almost done drywalling my room, then onto mudding, then painting, then floor, then enjoy Probably be another month or so, but I'll post some pictures up when it's done.

I do agree the black is boring. I was very close to ordering an EP350 in the HG Cherry to match the rest of my Axioms, but the reviews on the SVS and the fact it's just going to sit in a back corner anyway swayed me that way. HSU does offer a few different veneers, but (of course) there is no Canadian distributor. Seriously though, this thing is so big it could be invisible and it would still be in the way. I can't imagine what the top end models are like... Or guys with EP800's for example

Potatohead #272178 09/11/09 05:37 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Which SVS did you get? I must have missed it somewhere in the thread. I know it isn't the PB13 Ultra, that weighs 150lbs which I know all too well.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics