Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Any Min Cooper drivers here?
#271923 09/09/09 12:14 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Since our last three vehicles have all been Jeeps, I promised my wife that if we ever needed a second car she could choose what it will be. For my wife, that meant Austin Mini or VW Bug.

This morning, I dropped off a 2004 Mini Cooper Classic at our mechanics after looking at all I could in the parking lot. It only has 64,000km (39,700 miles) and he is advertising for $8,500 Can. and she currently has him at 7500 (The "because you work with me" price, ;\) )

He has informed us that it needs a universal on the steering shaft that his dealer claims is really hard to get right now and told him to buy the whole shaft (I think he might be being shafted as I sourced the part on several US parts sights I use.) and it needs a wheel bearing. It has already had the steering unit and steering unit fan replaced (it's an electric-hydraulic pump... if your like me and wondered, "why a fan?") and my research tells me this is a part that got replaced on almost every mini from 01 to 07 but that the replacement units are lasting. Fans are still subject to snow damage due to placement so one still must be careful if winter driving.

Cheapest one I found east of Ontario was $9,500 with a lot more wrong with it. Average seemed to be 10,500 to 12,500. So this seems to be a great deal. Even if I have to put some parts on it and she decides she realy doesn't like it (my wife, change her mind??? Never...LOL), I already know people who will buy it for the 'average' price range.

Seems like a sweet deal but I'll hold off until my mechanic looks at it. Only thing I noticed when I drove it there and spent some time with it was that the muffler was rusted way more than the rest of the underside which looked good. The muffler probably would need replacing within a year. Also there is a noise from the belt assembly somewhere. It's packed in too tight on the side to locate by ear but is likely just a bearing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the room in the front. I am 6' even and thought for sure I would be uncomfortable but I can stretch my legs out fully as long as there is no rear passenger. It's pretty tight back there though. We have no kids so meh...

Anyone have any experience to share?

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Any Min Cooper drivers here?
Murph #271930 09/09/09 12:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Friend of mine bought a used 'S' model back whenever the gas went through the roof, can't remember the year (newer) but it had something like 60+k miles and I'm thinking he paid around $13-15k for it, had to do some minor work but other than that he really likes the car ... although now that the gas is down he's back to driving his lifted Dodge Cummins as a daily driver again.

Maybe not as cool as Pinto station wagons but they are cool cars!

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #271938 09/09/09 01:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Murph, a couple of things to keep in mind about the Mini.

They do get very good mileage, but you have to remember they also require premium fuel which IMO brings their 'superior' mileage down to Mazda 3 levels(below a Civic for eg). I have no doubt the Mini is a fun ride, but the premium fuel requirement turned me off somewhat, compared to the competition.

The other MAJOR thing to consider is the running costs. Repairs on Minis are extremely expensive if required. There have been some complaints about bad trannys which can cost more than the car to replace(upwards of $10G!!). I'm not sure if this is BMW gouging or if they are using pure scandium gears in their trannys \:D or something. You might have seen on the news, over the last year or so, a woman (I think from Ontario)who had a problem with her Mini trans and BMW wanted more than $10G++ to replace it. OUCH!

The Mini has good resale value, but the running costs and premium fuel convinced me to look elsewhere in reg's to a smaller car. I am still driving my economical Z71 4x4 at the moment, and will probably drive it into the ground before getting something newer/economical.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #271945 09/09/09 02:46 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Tharkun, a former regular around these parts has a newer Cooper. I make Coopers, Coopers beer that is... \:\)

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #271947 09/09/09 03:32 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks folks.
I was not aware of the fuel requirement. What does premium equate to in octane levels in this example?

I was aware of the tranny issue. However, my research to date shows that the largest issue was in the automatic transmission. There are indeed some scary stories there. This car is a 5-speed manual.

2001 to 2003 the manual also had problems with the gearing going bad within. However, it could be rebuilt with new gearing for about 2 grand (not at a dealership), a large part of that being labor due to the fact you have to disassemble so much of the car to get it free. In 2004, the gears in the Midland 5-speed were replaced and reported to have the problem solved. In 2005 it changed to a Getrag but I didn't look into it much as it does not apply.

In any case, the 04 manual transmission in this particular car seems to have a relatively good history so hopefully it's a non issue. There is still a known issue with the shift cable detaching, leaving you stuck in whatever gear you were in last, but there is an easy and cheap proactive fix.

Still, I commend you for pointing out the potential issue. It could have been a biggie so thanks.

I think a lot of people with horror stories of pricing fiascos fall into the trap of believing that the dealers are the best place to keep taking your car after the warranty expires. Sure, they know the car inside and out but a dealer, in my experience, will never rebuild something and use no ingenuity at all in parts replacement.

Although, I must say I wasn't able to source individual parts for a recent locker problem on my Jeep and had to buy an entire 1200 housing, I still believe in leaving the dealership as soon as All warranty expires. Their markup on parts alone is enough to make you mad, even if they do sell you the right one.

Murph #271973 09/09/09 08:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Premium fuel generally means 91+ Octane AFAIK. Given the same price, obviously you want to go to Sunoco(94+ Oct).

...or, you might get away with Sunoco mid-grade, not sure of the Octane rating though. 91-92??

Last edited by Adrian; 09/09/09 08:18 PM.

Adrian #272010 09/09/09 11:22 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Thanks for sharing your research, gentlemen.

I have been thinking of a "next car" and had considered a 5M Mini, so the information is very helpful.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #272074 09/10/09 11:46 AM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks Adrian. I wondered if the term "high octane" by location such as Canadian vs. US standards.

My understanding of using a lower octane fuel in a car with modern fuel injection is that the computer will compensate by slowing the timing a bit for the delayed burn and the car will probably run fine (depends on the car) but it will be more sluggish, less power (again the amount depends on the car.) So I researched this too. The Mini manual says it requires 91 octane. Word from forum boards is that it will run on lower octanes but the engine is very susceptible to feeling the added sluggishness. Go too low and it will ping.

Anywhoo, I added that info for Tom to save him looking around as I did for the real effects of octane levels on a Mini Copper engine. Personally, I would be very happy with the fuel savings it will get compared to my modified Jeep, even at premium prices. I'd prefer the cleaner burn in my engine and the added power vs. the cost.

Update:
Our mechanic said that aside from the two items the owner already informed us of, the car is in excellent condition and was obviously not driven hard. Everything runs well and everything is tight from the suspension to the clutch.

Another note for Tom:
After looking at it under the hoist, I can certainly understand why you have to be careful with the power steering pump fan. It is located very low to the ground and faces almost straight downward. Snow would most certainly clog it up and I think regular cleaning would be required after any time on dirt or dusty roads. This won't be a winter car for us and I tend to poke around my vehicles when I'm bored anyways so the fan should have a happy life.

It seems this car indeed the good deal we hoped it was and it should be ours by the end of the day.

Last edited by Murph; 09/10/09 11:51 AM. Reason: update

Murph #272079 09/10/09 12:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This article might be of interest to you on some of the myths and facts about 'octane'.

Adrian #272082 09/10/09 12:46 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
hmmmm, I don't think I fell into the "myth" category but one item does have me thinking where you might have confused my more/less power statement as a generality on the gas itself.

Myth:
• High octane gasoline increases power.
If your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, you shouldn’t notice any more power on high octane
gasoline.

It says "If your car is designed to run on 87 octane...."
Now, what about an engine specifically designed for a higher octane? I could be wrong but it still makes sense to me that the resulting automated timing adjustments in this particular case would result in slightly less power than what the car was designed for.

Last edited by Murph; 09/10/09 12:51 PM. Reason: to be more specific

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters