Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 48 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 47 48
Re: The world's newest Axiomite it born...
onn #271450 09/02/09 09:53 PM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I sent out an email yesterday explaining to JC that even with a new amp and all new drivers, the EP800 is still not working properly. In it I suggested they fully inspect and test an EP800 and send it to swap out with this unit. I'm dying to know if this is truely a flaw in the cabinet or something, or if it's just a characteristic of the EP800, and Axiom subwoofers as a whole??? It's hard for me to believe that this is the way all Axiom subs perform... if so, then I simply can't fathom all of the praise that's been heaped onto them both in publications as well as here on this forum.

I could never accept the way mine has performed as a normal characteristic of a subwoofer that costs as much as the EP800 costs. Expecially when you take into account that it's a factory direct company that is supposed to be saving it's customers a lot of money. If Axiom speakers are supposed to perform on par with speakers costing up to twice their ticket price, then the EP800 should be able to compete with subs costing upwards of $4000+ dollars. That's some serious cabbage, and I can easily bottom this unit out at levels well below reference level playback. That simply should not be something I should be able to do. The add says, "...it tightly controls the signals to the 800-watt power amplifier and two massive 12-inch aluminum drivers with dual 3-inch voice coils to provide you with peak performance, never going over the edge into distortion. Crank it up - XLF makes the EP800 unbreakable"! Well, unfortunately this has not been the case with my EP800. I want to hear that unbreakable sub. If a replacement sub could sound as great as mine does during musical passages, and hit as low as it does WITHOUT bottoming out or clanking like it does, then I think I would definately keep it. It still isn't as loud as I would have thought it'd be, but I am satisfied with the level of output it currently produces enough to keep it anyway.

But the clanking has to go. I didn't pay two grand for my HT to start 'popping' during LFE moments in a movie nor reproduce anything at all but that which I was intended to hear out of a movie's soundtrack. If I didn't hear the clanking sound at the theater when Iron Man came storming out of the cave, then I shouldn't hear a clanking sound when he comes storming out of it in my living room. I am willing to keep on searching for a sub that will meet my expectations if I must. But, I'm still holding out on the wild possibility that it's somehow related to the cabinet. I guess we will see.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #271457 09/02/09 11:49 PM
shareholder in the making
Have you ruled out the possibility that something in the room is clanking?

(I'm not sure if this has been discussed already and I'm too lazy to check, so I apologize if you've covered this already.)

pmbuko #271461 09/03/09 12:18 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Yes, I moved the speaker around in several different locations. Everytime the sound came from the speaker itself and not anything in the vicinity. I know how it looks, what with me and the woman both swearing that the speakers were running out of phase, when in fact the battery test proved otherwise. But I'm as certain as I can possibly be that the speaker itself is making this noise.

It actually sounds just like SRoodes did that he was having problems with. He thought his was hitting a wire or something and had talked about inspecting everything when the new amp came. I don't recall how his ordeal was resolved. But I remember thinking the exact same thing when the sound first introduced itself in my EP800. When I took the amp out I taped the speaker wire back to one of the braces to rule that out. Then I watched the speakers work from the inside to see if I could see anything at all that they could be hitting. But to date I've tried everything I can think of trying, and the sound is still there during really low frequency emitions. In fact I was playing some Tupak today and it started bottoming out during one of his songs.

It's actually quite rare during music playback. That Tupak song, and Madonna's 'Rain' are the only two that come to mind that I can specifically remember hearing the popping sound. But movies are a different story, at least 50 percent of movies will push it to bottom out (when I say 'bottom out' I only use that expression because that most accurately discribes what it sounds like it's doing. It may be something altogether different, but it sounds exactly like a speaker bottoming out). And as Zimm and others have pointed out, that's not something one should just 'accept' out of a speaker of this caliber.

And I imagine Axiom expects better out of their speakers as well. It certainly wouldn't do them any favors if I had my friends and family over watching a movie and it started making that disturbing sound. They would quietly make note of the brand and stay as far away from it as possible. And I wouldn't blame them, it really does become annoying while watching movies.

Last edited by Micah; 09/03/09 12:20 AM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #271462 09/03/09 12:44 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
It would be interesting to hear a comparison of the 800 to something like the Hsu ULS-15 DualDrive. or its equal.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #271463 09/03/09 12:56 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Micah - Hopefully you can get this thing resolved to your satisfaction, and I do have to say you are a much, much more patient individual then I am. You paid good money for a seriously underperforming speaker....I think it is good that they are trying to work with you to get it right, but at this point, I would be asking for my money back and spend it elsewhere. For the price of the EP800, you can get some serious subs elsewhere (Epik, HSU, SVS). Heck, you could almost get 2 Epik Dynasty's for the same price (assuming you had the room, as they are BIG subs), and you would likely have enough sound pressure and LFE effects to crack your foundation (if you were so inclined). Or a Seaton Submersive, which, by almost every account I have ever read and come across, is the cat's meow. Point is, you have been more then patient, and are obviously a loyal customer, but how long has this been going on?

Shaun #271464 09/03/09 01:04 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: Shaun
Micah - Hopefully you can get this thing resolved to your satisfaction, and I do have to say you are a much, much more patient individual then I am. You paid good money for a seriously underperforming speaker....I think it is good that they are trying to work with you to get it right, but at this point, I would be asking for my money back and spend it elsewhere. For the price of the EP800, you can get some serious subs elsewhere (Epik, HSU, SVS). Heck, you could almost get 2 Epik Dynasty's for the same price (assuming you had the room, as they are BIG subs), and you would likely have enough sound pressure and LFE effects to crack your foundation (if you were so inclined). Or a Seaton Submersive, which, by almost every account I have ever read and come across, is the cat's meow. Point is, you have been more then patient, and are obviously a loyal customer, but how long has this been going on?

Exactly!

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Shaun #271467 09/03/09 01:16 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Point is, you have been more then patient, and are obviously a loyal customer, but how long has this been going on?

Well Shaun here's the thing, Axiom has done everything I've asked of them. I was the one who kept thinking I could solve this issue myself. They didn't coerse me into ordering replacement parts, I kept requesting them. It really did seem like it could/shoulda been an easy fix. But, it has proved to be quite stubborn. So I have nothing but the highest praise for the Axiom customer service team. Anytime I called and said, "hey I think this speaker is bad, maybe if you guys shipped me a...", before I could even get it out of my mouth they (usually JC) would say, "ok, it will ship out tomorrow... is there anything else you need"?

Seriously, that might be a bit of a stretch, but not by much. They are the greatest people ever to work with when you have a problem. Easily the best people I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with. In fact if anyone had a bad word to say about their company in my presence, we would probably come to fists over it! lol

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #271469 09/03/09 01:42 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Point is, you have been more then patient, and are obviously a loyal customer, but how long has this been going on?

Well Shaun here's the thing, Axiom has done everything I've asked of them. I was the one who kept thinking I could solve this issue myself. They didn't coerse me into ordering replacement parts, I kept requesting them. It really did seem like it could/shoulda been an easy fix. But, it has proved to be quite stubborn. So I have nothing but the highest praise for the Axiom customer service team. Anytime I called and said, "hey I think this speaker is bad, maybe if you guys shipped me a...", before I could even get it out of my mouth they (usually JC) would say, "ok, it will ship out tomorrow... is there anything else you need"?

Seriously, that might be a bit of a stretch, but not by much. They are the greatest people ever to work with when you have a problem. Easily the best people I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with. In fact if anyone had a bad word to say about their company in my presence, we would probably come to fists over it! lol

That is good to hear...hopefully you can get a brand new one and it is all you hoped it would be. Good luck!

Shaun #271500 09/03/09 12:55 PM
Well, everyone agrees that Axiom has great service overall.

I caught hell a few years ago for suggesting that Axioms' higher-ups should let "us" on the forums know when a new product is announced or something is changed.... but I still stand by that. Since we here often end up in something of a tech support role, I think we should have some information on such things.

Lately, I'm thinking that two different people have reported that the "volume" or "gain" knobs need to be turned up much more on their Axiom subs. Not surprisingly, when they come here and hear from others "Gee, my knob is only turned up a quarter turn... any more than that and I'd be replacing windows", they think there's something wrong with their sub. And no one from Axiom has dropped by any thread to say "we made a change", so the question STILL lingers as to whether or not these subs are defective or some change has been made.

God knows, I've stood on the soapbox regarding the stupidity / marketing necessity of volume knobs that provide full gain at a quarter-turn. I'd be happy to know if Axiom made a change allowing finer control over a longer rotation before max gain is reached... but if they don't tell "us", how can we tell others?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #271503 09/03/09 01:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You didn't get the memo, Mark?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 21 of 48 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 47 48

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup