Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sigh.... HDMI out dead on my receiver..
#272667 09/18/09 12:46 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The component out had gone a few months ago, but that was not really an issue for me as only my cable uses component and it was easy enough to plug it directly to the TV.

HDMI is another story. I just spent an annoying hour and half demonstrating that the root cause was truly the Onkyo 805 HDMI out (which is a passthrough) that was busted (audio in has no issues) and then reconnecting a few things amongst the mass of cable behind my entertainment unit.

Now I have one of my Oppo 3.1 HDMI switch output to the TV, so I have the picture from my Panasonic BD-30 (used for DVD + and Blu-ray), my HDX1000 (used for video streaming) and the PS3 (used for software updates) onscreen. But I only re-wired the sound (coax) from the first 2. Should be enough for a while as I have a massive amount of DVDs in the backlog and very few BDs.

The HDMI-in is OK so SACDs are working fine. At least!

I guess this is the point where I can no longer put off buying an actual pre/pro!

See Mojo's signature
Re: Sigh.... HDMI out dead on my receiver..
EFalardeau #272675 09/18/09 03:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I've been pondering the question of getting a preamp processor for our main floor and bypassing any receiver.
I already have an amp to power the speakers.

In thinking about this, i would prefer a pre-pro with HDMI for some of the same reasons you are using yours.
DVD-a, SACD (of the few i have) plus future Bluray capability via a single cable.
The rat's nest behind the tower is still a rat's nest after cable ties when you have a multitude of cables.
Taking the component vid out of the mix along with various audio cables and going down to a single cable, HDMI, would be a huge plus before we wall mount a tv and have too many cables to rewire through the wall.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters