Rate Thread
QS8 Full Metal Bracket
#272737 09/19/09 06:28 AM
C
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
C
I'm about to purchase a set of QS8s and I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount them in my apartment, and would appreciate any input. These will be my first surround speakers. I just got my set of M60s a few weeks ago and love them, and my QS8s will be next along with the VP150 center. Room size is 15' L 14' W 8' H, so not much room. Living in an apartment such as mine, I'd rather not drill holes in the walls that I'd have to fix later before moving (hopefully soon.)The mounts that are included with the speakers would of course be the most economical way to go about it, but again I have to consider the cost of repairing the holes later on.

The FMS QS stands are nice, but I really can't see spending almost $300 on one pair of stands.

Could the slight tilt that is made from the full metal brackets make it possible for better sound, as opposed to just flat against the wall with the included mounts?

I'm considering using the full metal brackets, if they would provide better placement for any improvement in sound quality, which would still much cheaper the the floor stands. I realize the surround speaker placement guides don't have to be followed exactly, and it all depends on my preference really in my listening environment. But placing the side surround speakers flat on the walls in the corners that I would put them in seems like some sound would be blocked by the wall, whereas the FMB could tilt each speaker to face directly at the listening point.

M60|VP150|2xQS8|PSA XS30+Epik Empire|Pioneer Kuro 6010FD|PS3|Denon AVR-X4000|Parasound 5250v.2|
Re: QS8 Full Metal Bracket
Crimson Wrath #272740 09/19/09 07:29 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, you still need to drill holes for the full metal bracket so I don't see how that would be different.

I did two things to 'temporarily' mount my QS8s in my apartment. The first was to use a couple of 1x4s 8' long. I wedged them between the ceiling and floor and then mounted the standard qs brackets to that. I used a 2x4 as a cross piece. That was cheap and fast.

If you are handy and have some tools, there are a few things you can do.

The one QS5 is out in the open so I replaced the 1x4 with an 8' piece of 1 1/4" dowel. I drilled a hole in one end to fit a 5/8" bolt and then chiseled out the top part of the hole a little to fit the mating nut. Screw bolt into nut. Place dowel in position. Unscrew bolt until it holds said dowel in place with pressure/friction. This works very well. I made a clamping cross piece to mount the QS bracket to that sort of works. Still need to figure out a better clamp

Filling a few screw holes with plaster is pretty simple. Are you not allowed to mount things on your walls?

Last edited by fredk; 09/19/09 07:31 AM. Reason: spellefied

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #272743 09/19/09 11:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Agree with Fred's last statement there. Repairing a few holes in drywall is simple...just use a small putty knife or taping knife with a dab of drywall compound, force it into the holes, smooth it with the knife, let it dry, sand lightly then seal it with a little primer and paint it. The sealing part is important or the new compound will just soak up all the paint you put on it. This is very easy and cheap to do.

Make sure you catch a wall stud when you mount the QS8s as well.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #272793 09/19/09 06:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
Make sure you catch a wall stud when you mount the QS8s as well.

I keep looking for studs, but all I hist is this damn concrete. ;\)

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #272803 09/19/09 09:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You really shouldn't be living in a bunker Fred.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 944 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup