Print Thread
Rate Thread
OPPO
#273217 09/25/09 07:32 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hey all

I have heard and read alot of good things about this player,is there any good reason not to get one. Who here has one and if you dont mind sharing where did you buy it. I found the cheapest one i can find online, 550.00 So far the only thing i truly wish it had was streaming capabitlies.Currently use my xbox elite but it is so noisey.Sooooooooooo if you have one let me know likes and dislikes.

peace

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Re: OPPO
Gr8_White_North #273219 09/25/09 08:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I do not have the Oppo BDP, but I do have the 981.

The only reasons I can think of not to get one are price and practicality if you game or already have a PS3. If neither of those are issues for you I would go ahead and get one based on my personal experience with Oppo and all the positive things our esteemed forum members have said so far.

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
Gr8_White_North #273221 09/25/09 08:12 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I have the BDP-83. The things I like the most are fast operation speed, the great DVD upscaling (I still have a lot of them), the quiet operation and the player's ability to play SACD's, DVD audio, CD's, DVD's and Blu-Ray discs. The set up menu on the player is easy to use and clearly laid out. One small thing I like is that you can use the disc eject button to start up the player so when you turn on the oppo with it, the player turns on and opens the transport drawer all ready to go.

There is a USB port on the front of the player so you can play audio, video and picture files off of a hard drive or memory stick.

I purchased the player directly from Oppo because I looked around and no one seems to discount them. The Oppo is a great player and I haven't had any problems with it. If you have any specific questions, fire away.

Joebob #273229 09/25/09 09:11 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Just so I don't sound like such a drooling fanboy I did think of a couple of problems the Oppo has. When you play a DVD audio disc the Oppo will cut off the first few milliseconds of only the first song on the disc. If you back up to the beginning of the track, it plays correctly.

Also, if you are on a Mac and format a USB stick as FAT 32 on the Mac, the Oppo won't read it.

Oppo knows about both of these problems and are supposed to be fixed in a future firmware update.

Joebob #273231 09/25/09 10:05 PM
R
buff
buff
R
I have a BDP-83 and I have noticed the same quirks as the above poster. Also one more (I don't know if this problem is with just my player or other people have had it too. I will contact oppo about it.) Sometimes (it had done this only 4 times since I have owned it) when the disk tray is ejected it will not pay attention to the command to pull tray back in. It will not pay attention to the "Play" command from either the remote or the buttons on the front of the unit. The only thing that fixes this is a gentle push in on the tray.

Gr8_White_North #273285 09/26/09 03:30 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I was won of the early adopters and received delivery of the BDP83 in early May well before the general release at the end of June. This is a benchmark player with all the "bells and whistles" you will ever need. Of course, I purchased this player from strictly an A/V performance point of view. Stuff like streaming capabilities was not a factor for me, so I can't point to that as a disadvantage. For a few, not being "region-free" has been an issue. To me, one of the greatest attributes of purchasing a player from a company like Oppo is its follow-up service in the form of firmware updates to address any future issues and general upgrades. These are done quite often just to improve the operation of the player, not just to correct problems. This is unprecedented in the industry.

The price of around $550(CDN) is actually as good as it gets. I am assuming you are looking online at "Only Best Rated" in Mississauga, Ontario. If you order direct from Oppo it will be $499(US)plus around $85.00(US) shipping, customs and duties(Made in China) and taxes. Given the exchange rates and adding it all up, you are probably better off ordering it locally. Given the "glowing" reviews of this player throughout the industry and the demand for it, I doubt one will ever see this player discounted from its present price(Unless, of course, they bring out a "new and improved" BDP83!)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044