Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 41 of 87 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 86 87
Re: So who did ya see in concert last night?
CV #298600 03/26/10 01:13 PM
shareholder in the making
Had I bought the tix, I was going to invite you Charles.

Just to let you know.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #301078 04/09/10 04:26 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I had the great pleasure of seeing the first show on Mark Knopfler's Get Lucky world tour at the Moore Theatre in Seattle.

Since I never saw Dire Straits live, I was very happy to have this opportunity.

The Moore is a 100-year-old theatre that seats about 2,000. Even though I started clicking when tickets went on sale (over six months ago), we still ended up in row J of the balcony. The sightlines and acoustics are very good, and I still felt very good about this vantage point. The show sold out very quickly, and there were MANY people looking for tickets outside the show.

As there were still many people filing in to the venue, the band came onstage about a half hour late. They opened with Border Riever - the rollicking opening cut from the new album. The entire show featured very lush arrangements and instrumentation. There were 7 players on the stage in addition to Mark - bass, drums, keyboards, guitar, flute/whistle, piano/accordion, and guitar/violin. People played various other odd stringed instruments throughout the show, and basically everyone on the stage except Mark was a multi-instrumentalist. The flute and violin components were prominent, and provided simultaneously a rustic and world music feel.

Mark played MANY different guitars throughout the night, changing instruments after virtually every song. I think that this practice had a number of reasons - he likes guitars, he wanted some different sounds for different tracks, and he plays so HARD that he probably can't stay in tune very long. That guy's fingers must be extraordinarily strong; he doesn't collaborate at all with his guitar - he bends it to his will effortlessly and emphatically. Mostly Fender electrics, but some Les Pauls, National Steel and a couple other acoustics. Most of the acoustic parts were done by the other guitar player.

They only played a few Dire Straits songs (Sultans of Swing, Romeo and Juliet, Telegraph Road, Brothers in Arms). The rest of the show was comprised of selections from his solo albums. They played What It Is and Sailing to Philadelphia early on, with the violin player doing a credible job with the intimidating James Taylor vocal part on the latter. Overall, the selections were of the exquisitely tasty and mellow variety rather than up-tempo.

It was a very good show, and the band was clearly enjoying the freshness of playing these songs in front of an audience. There were several occasions where they seemed to regroup on the set list between songs. There was virtually no banter on stage; they were there to play the music.

A big part of my enjoyment came from the opportunity to share this experience with my dear friend Mike, an old college roommate of mine who I see too rarely. It always makes me feel happy to spend time with him, and I am not sure how to feel about the fact that we have been in each other's lives for 30 years.

The show brought out detail and nuance in the music I had previously not fully appreciated, and reinforced for me that Mark Knopfler is a very talented composer and a true Musician.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #301080 04/09/10 04:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Great write up Tom, sounds like you had a great time. Like many here, Dire Straits was one of those bands I grew up on.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
tomtuttle #301089 04/09/10 05:05 PM
I was just about to ask "What is a border reiver, anyway?" but wikipedia answered it for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Reivers

Awesome writeup, Tom. I shall see Mark Knopfler live one day soon.

pmbuko #301096 04/09/10 05:17 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
He's a guy I've wanted to see in concert for a while. Sounds like a great time!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #301103 04/09/10 05:51 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
My wife and I are going to the first weekend of JazzFest in New Orleans in a few weeks. I'm very excited. Simon and Garfunkle are the main attraction.

I was thinking of going to Lollapalooza in Chicago later this summer, but the hotels for JazzFest are costing me so much it may break the concert budget for the summer. I actually would prefer to go to Lollapalooza, but such is life.

tomtuttle #301110 04/09/10 06:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks for the review. Knopfler and Dire Straits have a way of getting into the my again and again. How do you like the new album? I have yet to hear any of it.

davidsch #301174 04/10/10 05:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow, Tom, great review!! Thank you for sharing and glad you had a good time there!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
tomtuttle #301249 04/10/10 05:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Tom,
Glad you enjoyed the concert. My wife and I were lucky to see Mark Knopfler on the Sailing to Philadelphia tour years ago. My wife scored 2nd row, center stage seats at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver. That concert still rates up in the top ten shows I have ever seen. The Moore Theatre is a great venue. I saw Porcupine Tree there last September. We were sitting under the balcony towards the rear of the theatre which is kind of eerie.
Cheers,
Shaun

Rock_Head #301285 04/10/10 10:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Rush will be touring this summer...the "Time Machine Tour"...apparently they will be playing Moving Pictures in it's entirety for the first time ever, according to their website.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 41 of 87 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 86 87

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters