Print Thread
Rate Thread
speaker spikes
#2752 04/23/02 05:53 PM
KevinS Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I would just like to post a thankyou to Amie and Joe for their assistance in helping me fix my speaker.

I sent an email to Amie and she made some suggestions and also stated to call Joe if I had any problems.

What happened was one of the spike nuts on my M80 pushed through the bottom of the speaker since I was unaware of attaching the nuts and washers supplied(did not state this in the manual, they say it now).

I had to take the bottom woofer out but after the screws were off, the speaker was firmly held into the cabinet. I called Joe and he suggested a couple of methods and I was able to retrieve the nut.

Their service was fast and accurate, KUDOS!

Re: speaker spikes
#2753 04/23/02 10:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
could you post more details about putting the spikes on...i just got the epic 80 setup and the M80s are gonna be installed this weekend when I get some time off.

#2754 04/24/02 12:00 AM
buff
buff
Glad you solved your problem, Kev. I'm having plenty of difficulty with the spikes on my M60s. The threaded rods in my speaks are set too high in the cabinet for me to screw in the short spikes. Service manager and all-around pleasant fella Joe suggested over the phone that I try screwing in a longer bolt in an attempt to "pull" the threaded inserts down, that is to say, closer to the bottom of the cabinet, but I had no luck; those things wouldn't budge!! Anybody have any suggestions, or can anyone give me an idea as to where I might purchase some longer spikes (say, as long as the bolts supplied for the rubber feet, which I am now forced to use. Not as stable as spikes, I must say). Cheers!

DS.

#2755 04/24/02 12:07 AM
buff
buff
By the way, Kev...how the heck didja wind up getting that driver out, anyway?? Cheers!

DS.

#2756 04/24/02 04:39 PM
KevinS Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
For putting the spikes on properly, just thread the bolt onto the spike, then put the washer on, then thread the spike into the speaker nut.

It takes some work to get everything level but when you do, make sure to tighten the nut (on the outside of the speaker obviously) with a wrench (11mm, I believe, I only had 10 & 12mm)

#2757 04/24/02 04:46 PM
KevinS Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hey Dave

Joe mentioned to angle the front of the speaker down(lean it against something soft) and then give it a smack on the side (with your hand) and that may pop the driver out(hold your other hand in front of the driver to catch it).

If that doesn't work (didn't for me) then take the screws that hold the driver to the cabinet and screw them in on an angle towards the center of the driver, this will push the driver out when the screw contacts the metal backing of the driver. Should only have to do this for opposing sides of the driver.

#2758 04/25/02 05:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
at Axiom, quality is job none!

Smack a speaker to pop the driver out??????Yikes!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044