Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
2 registered (JohnK, BBIBH), 127 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12791 Members
11 Forums
22691 Topics
400653 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17698
pmbuko 16227
SirQuack 13311
CV 11064
MarkSJohnson 10694
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 22 of 57 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#277729 - 11/04/09 09:52 PM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: JohnK]
JohnK Online   content
shareholder in the making

I've previously suggested my favorite recording of my favorite cello concerto to some members who asked for cello suggestions. Several of them now own it with apparent satisfaction, and since it certainly qualifies for this thread, I'll add it here.

Cellist Pierre Fournier joined conductor George Szell and the Berlin Philharmonic in a stunning performance of the Dvorak Cello Concerto. I consider the Dvorak to be the finest cello concerto ever written, and going much farther, one of the Amazon customers states in his review that he views it as "the best piece of music ever written by mankind".

Also included are two shorter pieces based on Jewish themes: the dramatic and haunting Schelomo, and the Kol Nidrei.

Offered at Amazon and other sources at almost give-away prices, this is certainly a disc to buy and enjoy.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#277758 - 11/05/09 07:00 AM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: JohnK]
MarkSJohnson Offline

Loc: Central NH
Added to my Wishlist...., Thanks John!

#277764 - 11/05/09 07:56 AM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: MarkSJohnson]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
Me too. John's picks are consistently good and I love the cello. I can't lose.
Here is the Amazon.ca link for us Canadian folks.
Dvorak: Cello Concerto; Bruch: Kol Nidre; Bloch: Schelemo

#277769 - 11/05/09 09:27 AM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: JohnK]
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
Just ordered it. Thanks for the tip, John. My little brother (freshman in college) is studying cello at the University of Arizona, so I may send another copy to him for his birthday.

#277785 - 11/05/09 12:30 PM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: pmbuko]
JaimeG Offline
aficionado

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Dvorak cello concerto is remarkable, love the French horn solo at the intro of the 1 movement, later done by the cello as well…
Saint-Saëns Cello Concerto No. 1 is remarkable as well, my favorite cello concert; it really showcased the cello in all its possibilities. I can’t really point to any particularly good quality recording of it. Most likely any recording performed by Rostropovich is a sure bet, although sound quality might not be the best.

#277833 - 11/05/09 06:14 PM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: JohnK]
Argon Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Oak Ridge, NC
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
I've previously suggested my favorite recording of my favorite cello concerto to some members who asked for cello suggestions. Several of them now own it with apparent satisfaction, and since it certainly qualifies for this thread, I'll add it here.

I bought it on your recommendation - after I ordered my Axioms and before I received them. It was on the short list for the initial audition of the new speakers. I'll have to say that you know your classical music. It is a stunning recording.

#278413 - 11/10/09 08:44 AM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: Argon]
Emzdogz Offline
veteran

I would like to add something to the stunning recordings thread. Only thing - I doubt it is available except maybe as a DVD.

There was a sports special recently on Showtime, kind of a miniseries about the rise of the AFL and how it became the AFC etc.
GREAT show!
and crazy crazy music to go with it!
I don't even know how to describe it, genre-wise. Some of it is what I'd call 50's ultra light and ultra commercial jazz. i.e. made for TV sounding jazz tinged. But tasty in a retro sort of way.
But then during some of the very expertly filmed football shots (action stuff), OMG, the orchestral stuff just goes berserk.
Crazy sound all over the place. Very different.
Makes me wonder if there is one cohesive soundtrack to the thing.
Lets put it this way, the music on a FOOTBALL documentary was good enough to a. grab my attention and b. make me rave (even if only quietly to myself)
Here is a link to the show.
http://sports.sho.com/full-color-football.html

If you see it, I'd like to know what you thought of the sound. Especially the last episode, I'd say, is when it really caught my attention.

#279339 - 11/17/09 09:40 AM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: JohnK]
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
I consider the Dvorak to be the finest cello concerto ever written

I'm going to have to agree with you here, John. I received my disc late last week and I've been listening non-stop ever since. It's simply amazing, and the second movement blows me away. Thanks for helping me expand my classical collection.

Unfortunately, I've yet to have the time to give it a proper listen on my Axioms, so it's been living in my car.

#280968 - 11/30/09 04:01 PM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: pmbuko]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Loc: Some random location
Wow. I've never heard of SACD until just now. (Super Audio CD). Will this play on any BD player, or does it take a special player for it?

BTW, yes, I have been living under a rock.

I see that the Oppo BDP-83 player offers SACD, but not all BD players do. I also noticed that the Denon 4308ci had hdmi inputs for SACD. I suppose this is for just a SACD player.

Edited by CatBrat (11/30/09 04:21 PM)

#280980 - 11/30/09 06:19 PM Re: Stunning Recordings [Re: CatBrat]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Loc: It's all about the location.
I only have one Hybrid CD, Darkside O T Moon, but gotta say it's awesome. I don't know about south of the border, but SACD's haven't really caught on up here.

Page 22 of 57 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.