Print Thread
Rate Thread
Just got my speakers today!
#2779 04/24/02 11:58 PM
Big_L Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
My M3's and VP100 came in today. I ordered them on Friday afternoon, but they didn't ship 'til Monday, so I got them in 2 days. I couldn't be happier with these speakers.
I bought them from the Factory Outlet. Let me just say, there's no way I could work for Axiom's quality control, because to my eyes there's nothing wrong with these speakers!
Hooked them up right away and the improvement of the M3's over the JBL N24's is ridiculous. The video shielding problem I was having with the JBL N-center is gone too.
I don't know how to explain how these speakers sound. Music just sounds more "real", if you can dig that. Now, I know what people are talking about when they say things like "soundstage" and "imaging". If I close my eyes, I can "see" where different instruments are coming from. Very impressive. Can't imagine they'll get better with a little breaking-in. Can't wait!
I guess the best compliment I can pay these speakers is to say that the next time I buy speakers, I'm buying Axiom.

Big L

Big L
Re: Just got my speakers today!
#2780 04/25/02 12:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Congratulations BigL! The M3s are awesome speakers. If you like jazz and want to blow your mind, try the Gilbert/Stan Getz CD close your eyes, and there'll be a woman singing in your living room and some guy blowing a horn about 7 feet away from her.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#2781 04/27/02 03:09 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Big L,

I am glad you are happy. Are you glad you went with the M3's and the VP100 over the smaller M1's and the VP50? Just wait until the speakers are broken in. My friends are astonished at the big sound these speakers produce. Also, I was wondering if you were happier with your H/K. I remember that you were thinking of buying a new one. All you need to do now is calibrate those speakers and you are set for some real Home Theater enjoyment.

LSUDAN

#2782 04/29/02 12:17 PM
Big_L Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
LSUDAN,
I'm very glad I didn't go with M1's and VP50! These M3's just get better everyday. If I would've gone with smaller speakers, I would've been looking to upgrade. As it is, I'll keep the M3's around for a long time. The only thing I see replacing them is a couple of Axiom towers in the front and then I'd move the M3's to the rear.
As for my receiver, I upgraded to a H/K AVR520. The H/K's get a bad rap, IMHO. I listened to receivers from several different companies and the H/K sounded the best to me. And it does a beautiful job of driving my Axiom's.
I went out and bought a SPL meter from Radio Shack and the Sound & Vision HT Set-up DVD. Now, I have everything calibrated to within half a dB. This makes a world of difference. Plus, I used the test patterns to adjust the picture on my TV. Now everything looks and sounds the way it's supposed to.

Big L
#2783 04/29/02 12:47 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I am glad to hear that you are happy with the axiom speakers. It is amazing how calibrating the speakers makes such a difference. Enjoy.

LSUDAN

#2784 04/29/02 01:56 PM
old hand
old hand
Big L,

Glad to hear you're happy with your set-up and that the calibration made an appreciable difference.

I also have the M3's (as part of the Epic Master system) and am impressed with how they (and all the other pieces) look and feel. If you can believe it, I've had my system for about 3 weeks but have too many work commitments to allow for setting it up. 16 more days, then it's a day or two of dedicated HT system time. Until then I just keep reading about everyone else and getting eager with anticipation. Heck, my wife is even looking forward to the set-up.

Again, glad to hear you're enjoying your system. Have a great week.

lando

lando
#2785 04/30/02 01:42 PM
Big_L Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
lando,
I think you'll be very pleased with how the M3's sound. They sound better than they look or feel, IMO.
I don't know how you do it. I'd be ripping my hair out (the little bit I have left), if I had an Epic Master system laying around for 3 weeks.
When you finally get it hooked up I'm sure the wait will have been well worth it.
I'd really like to hear your impression of the QS4's and the EP175. I have the M3's and the VP100, so I'm halfway to having an Epic Master myself. Just want to know how everything works together.
Thanks and, when you set it up, happy listening!

Big L
#2786 04/30/02 01:58 PM
old hand
old hand
Big L,

It's been extremely difficult to stare at the system all boxed-up off to the side of my viewing area. Two more weeks and my schedule opens up.

I'll keep you posted either here or in an e-mail about my impressions once I finally get everything up and running.

I ordered the stands for the QS-4 as I didn't want to have to mess with wall-mounting those. The stands look like they'll work out great, but the cable management holes are too small for my Acoustic Research 12-ga wire. I can exchange the lengths I need at Lowes and get either a different brand of 12 or 14 ga. The Acoustic Research 12-ga has an extremely thick jacket. I didn't care for the option of filing out the holes in the poles to make them accept the 12-ga. Better to get other wire!

I think everything else is lining up... have all my cables, most of my wire, receiver (Onkyo 600... yes, that is waiting to be set-up too; got it last week as I didn't want to be waiting on the receiver once I had the time to set everything up!), my SPL meter, my calibration DVDs, stands for the QS-4's, stands for my mains and center, and banana plugs.

Gotta go, but love reading/talking about all the different systems, set-ups, and ideas out there. Take care!

lando

lando
#2787 04/30/02 06:39 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
BigL,

I have the QS4s and they sound great. I would look around though for some better subs. I have the EP125 and have been very disappointed in it. I think that is due to the fact the room is rather large. It bottoms out to fast. I am going to put it in my smaller home theater room. I am looking to probably build my own with either a 12" Shiva or 15" Tempest. I think axiom makes great speakers but their subs are a little expensive for what you get. Hope this helps.

LSUDAN

#2788 04/30/02 08:40 PM
Big_L Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I think eventually I'd like to put the M3's in the rear, QS4's on the side and some M60's up front.
As far as a subwoofer, I saw a DIY system at partsexpress.com that has a 10" driver, 250W amplifier and claims to go down to 24Hz in small to medium sized rooms. For $350, I'd give it a shot. But for now, my A.R. sub will do just fine.

Big L

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters