Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: DVD or Blu-ray - why not both!
CV #279505 11/18/09 07:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If internet bandwidth keeps getting wider and cheaper and people like us who want the absolute best quality we can afford and my generation which likes to buy tangible things passes the torch I thing all disk formats will become niche formats. Media-on-demand is the way of the future and I think most people will give up some quality for convenience.

As for Blu-ray specifically I don’t plan on owning that many title very soon. While the quality difference is extremely noticeable to me on the projector it’s less so on my HDTV but still better. Since there aren’t that many movies I watch over and over I don’t see needing to own that many titles when I can rent them from Netflix for under 1.50 a disk and have them here in a day or two at the most.

I can certainly see the advantage to “family” and “kids” titles being bundled but I don’t see the big selling point to the average user. Beyond that I don’t think it’s a great idea for Blu-ray’s marketing to promote a legacy format. I don’t recall seeing a lot of cassette/CD bundles or VHS/DVD bundles. Might make more sense for a HDDVD/DVD or SACD/CD bundle but not so much for Blu-ray which looses revenue the longer people buy DVD. OTOH it may certainly be an advantage to the studios releasing movies to bundle them.

Blu-ray’s total market and even market share will grow for some time but in the not so long run I imagine both DVD and Blu-ray will start loosing out to some Media-on-demand type format.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #279508 11/18/09 07:29 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I'll believe in high-quality internet streaming when I see it. Maybe they can do it in Japan where average internet speeds are much higher. It's just hard imagining the US having proper speeds throughout. Everything's too spread apart, and by the time speeds are increased enough for the majority, maybe Super Hi-Vision will be on the new disc-based format.

CV #279518 11/18/09 12:59 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hi Grunt
I think the reason we didn't see cassette / CD or DVD / VHS bundles is that the technologies were so radically different. Both of those were moving from an expensive and clumsy tape based system to a very compact and easy to use disk system. The advantages to moving to CD and DVD were more than quality of picture and sound. Disks don't wear out, and it is quick and easy to find the tracks / chapters you are looking for, where cassettes and VHS required time and effort to do the same. That alone I think was enough for people to move to the new format. Not to mention there was still a large cost to alternate packaging for the different formats.

But with Blu-ray vs Dvd, there is no "convenience" advantage. It is simply media quality, and as you mentioned, the quality is better, but depending on what you are watching it on, the difference may be marginal, and many people might see the difference, I don't know if they care enough to spend the extra bucks.

For me, I now own the Blu-ray Star Trek movie, and can only play it in one room in my house. I can't take it with me to watch on a plane, at my cottage (if I had one), nor can I take it over to my buddies house, etc. And the real kicker here is I actually paid more for less convenience. Not a good marketing strategy in my opinion.
paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #279520 11/18/09 01:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Lets not forget the 8-track. You had to be a math major with a stopwatch to find a song if it wasn't the first one of each set. I'm not sure I could even describe the process to the younger crowd.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #279526 11/18/09 01:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
They should have labelled the tracks.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #279540 11/18/09 04:32 PM
O
buff
buff
O
I have a few DVDs with "Full Screen" on one side and "Wide Format" on the flip side. I wonder if they could do that with Blue-Ray on one side of the disk and standard DVD on the other side. With the price of the players coming down I think the biggest hindrance to many people switching to Blue-Ray is the cost of the disks. Many people (including myself) just don't want to pay more than they already are for a movie they only watch a few times. If they charged more for the disks I don't think they will have enough sales to justify stocking them in stores.

OhioKyle #279543 11/18/09 04:45 PM
J
J
I agree with Paul, since a BR player plays DVD's any way and there are a number of spare DVD players in a house/car etc. it is simply a matter of convenience to have movies on both formats right now and if BR(Sony)/Studios really want to push this new medium even further, I think a dual disc box is the way to go, no decision to be made, buy the movie and you have both formats. Once a person has a few BR's and their present DVD player dies or upgradeitis hits, I think they would seriously look at buying a BR player, at least I know I would.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #279550 11/18/09 05:02 PM
Sure it's a great idea, but the studios will never see it like that. They'll see it as, "Hey, we can charge $5 more for this movie! Those sucker's'll never notice. Morons."

It's been done. And they charged more for it. Dualdisc, anyone?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Murph #279556 11/18/09 05:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Lets not forget the 8-track. You had to be a math major with a stopwatch to find a song if it wasn't the first one of each set. I'm not sure I could even describe the process to the younger crowd.

I had many a self made 8 track Beatles tapes. Recorded directly off the Vinyl LP. Plugged em into the orange 1970 Maverick aftermarket stereo connected to the Triax speakers in the holes I cut into the back deck behind the rear seat. I was the schiznit. As far as 'splainin to the younger crowd:
The master was a Disc - just like today except bigger and it held less "data". Did I mention that instead of plastic it was vinyl? Instead of a laser there was a "tone arm" with a needle/cartridge. OH....and you had to have a "Discwasher" cleaner to remove the dust from the disc. Then you had to make sure that when were done with the "data" transfer, you put the big disc carefully back into its paper or plastic sleeve which, in turn, went back into its cardboard sleeve aka "album cover". Additionally the double album sets had a secondary function know as "seed separator" whereby seeds were meticulously removed from organic materials with the use of a Drivers liscense. But wait - maybe you are right - we'll never be able to describe it.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #279558 11/18/09 05:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Argon
Did I mention that instead of plastic it was vinyl?

Nowadays we recycle vinyl for speaker finish. ;\)

See Mojo's signature
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020