Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Axiom 8 Channel amp or multiple 2 channel amps
Micah #280895 11/29/09 11:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I haven’t done much research on this yet. Just an idea I’m considering after I get a few other priorities, like curtains, cabling, carpet and possibly room treatment out of the way. I try to prioritize my upgrades based on what will give me the most improvement for the money at that time.

I’m already loving the mid/upper bass coming from my 3 M80s up front but they don’t carry the LFE channel, well unless I didn’t use a sub. My EP500 has no problem filling the room with sound and shaking both the furniture and the foundation but I miss that in-your-face feeling I’m getting from the M80s.

Right now I’ve got the EP500 near the back right corner of the room, mostly to keep the front open. My original plan was to buy an LCD (computer monitor) and a plasma (day to day TV watching) to go slightly behind my M80s on either side of the center. However, testing with my DLP has revealed that’s to far away to use as a computer monitor, colours the sound up front and I like having room to walk between the M80s.

I reconsidered my original plan to wall mount the LCD and plasma on brackets that swing out from the side walls but that is going to be at the limit of my visual acuity as a computer monitor and my eyesight aint getting any better. Additionally, since moving in April I’ve only watched about 10 hours of TV so when my year is up, unless something changes I’m dumping the DirectTV so no need for the plasma.

Which brings me to my new plan (always subject to change) of buying just an LCD and like I’m doing with my DLP right now just slide it in and out of the adjacent room as needed. By listening in stereo or switching to a phantom center I can still have perfect audio at the sweet spot even with the HDTV in the middle because I have a direct line-of-sight, with room to spare, to both mains.

This means for movie watching I now have room up front between the mains and center for the sub(s) or perhaps more effectively Mid-bass modules (I‘d need 2 for symmetry ;\) ). This quest in part comes from one setup I had in my apartment where the EP500 was right in front of the TV about 4 feet in front of my seating. This gave me the level of impact I liked for explosions (in the real world explosions are directional) but at the cost of the lower bass being boomy, and a twice re-broken toe (first broke it surfing) when cutting to close walking by the sub. EP500 beats the crap out of toe every time. So the sub ended up in back and I lost the directional feel of the explosions.

Since giving that directions feel seems to be exactly what the Mid-bass Module is designed for while minimizing room interactions. It seems to me it will be a better solution than just adding multiple subwoofers. My idea is to use the Buttkicker for the 40Hz and below, the Mid-bass Modules for the 50-80 or so and the EP500 to sort of tie it all together.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
CV #280898 11/29/09 11:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: CV
Yeah, it seems like if subwoofers have multiple drivers, they're all of the same size. I wonder how hard it is to integrate different sizes of drivers into the same subwoofer.

Not hard. Since they're different sizes and thus intended to reproduce different parts of the audio spectrum a crossover would be required. This could be done two ways: A single amp feeding into the crossover network which leads to each of the subs. Or since electricity is available an active crossover could be right after the input, and that feeds two separate amps which are in turn directly connected to their own subs. Both ways would work well, the second is obviously more expensive, but possibly provide better results. Since one maker would be combining all the components things could be tuned very accurately, better than a MBM added to an unknown sub.

I freely submit my idea (not that it is very original) to Axiom, please build this, please, please, please. \:D

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #280905 11/30/09 01:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've mentioned in previous threads that this was exactly what my dream had always been in car audio. Build a sub box with a 15 or 18, a 12 and an 8 or 10 inch woofers all pushing different frequencies. I'd be very surprised if to date nobody has every tried it. Although I have yet to hear about it if they did.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
FordPrefect #280906 11/30/09 02:00 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
 Originally Posted By: FordPrefect
roar,
Many decades ago when I left my parents house and moved into my first (and only) apartment I bought a bed and $2,000 worth of stereo equipment, a lot of money in the 70's

My logic is as follows. I NEEDED a couch, chairs, tables, etc. etc. so I knew that I would have to find a way to get them. I didn't NEED a stereo system and if I had spent my money on furniture there is a chance I would have never gotten the stereo system of my dreams.

I was single then and that served me well, I wouldn't advise it if you are married.

In other words buy the amp. \:\) The subwoofer will follow.

You're not making this any easier, this was supposed to be an easy one, everyone calls me crazy and tells me to get the sub \:\)

I've got to track down one of those Paradigm subs and get myself out to Markham to hear the SVS subs, if they don't completely bowl me over I may be calling Emotiva.

Now if I could just bill a couple of extra hours on this project I'm working on maybe I could swing both.

Here is another thought this message put into my head, the Emotiva amp would come into the house, straight into the basement and would go pretty much unnoticed... the sub on the other hand would be noticed pretty much immediately, so I like the unknown WAF on the amp \:\)

roar #280924 11/30/09 05:08 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
I sent you a PM.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #280927 11/30/09 07:01 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Dean, I think you should try a seperate amp to drive the M80s, the bass I could get from them with the A1400 was incredible and it had alot of impact, much more than with the 3808 alone. The extra power from the seperate amp makes a much larger difference with the mid bass on the M80s than anywhere else, go for the A1400-2 ;\) \:\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #280931 11/30/09 08:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I must not have been clear with what I was saying. The mid-bass of the M80s is fantastic right now with the Onkyo, not that more power wouldn‘t make it better. ;\) Where the mid-bass is falling short is from the LFE channel. Part of it is that I haven’t moved the sub back up front near-field since running Audyssey on the Onkyo which tamed the room down quite a bit. But I’ve still got a feeling that to get the mid-bass I want the EP500 is actually going to be to much because it goes so low. I sort of like the mid-bass running hot which has been pushing the low bass way over the top. So I still have some tweaking and probably room treatments but I’m not sure if that’s going to be enough.

So the mid-bass on the M80s if fine I’m just trying to get the LFE channel to catch up w/o everything getting to rumbly.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #280932 11/30/09 09:52 AM
J
J
I see \:\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Worfzara #280934 11/30/09 12:28 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Worfzara
Ok, only kidding. But once you hear the damage, it's too late. I know this from experience (not with my Axiom's BTW).

I am not saying receivers are bad, actually I think they are very practical. You just need to understand their limitations and act accordingly. If not, you'll be opening your pocket book to repair speakers. I just choose instead to open my pocket book to get more power to minimize the possibility of speaker damage.

paul

The same consideration should go towards your hearing. Once you have damaged your ears its too late. Listening at levels of 100+ dbs can really do a lot of harm.

jakewash #281368 12/04/09 12:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Dean, I think you should try a separate amp to drive the M80s, the bass I could get from them with the A1400 was incredible and it had a lot of impact, much more than with the 3808 alone. The extra power from the desperate amp makes a much larger difference with the mid bass on the M80s than anywhere else:)

Nah, the extra power does not change the sound. Well, not until things get loud, or more accurately, when the spl range gets real.

Then you notice the sound is not harsh or fatiguing at levels you once thought were the top of the comfort zone. At that thin margin of the listening experience you feel the bass guitar of "Come Together" as if you can fee each vibration of the strings as the pluck decays; same for a piano or a bluesy voice.

It is the change (in my room) from good, to the momentary suspension of disbelief needed to really fall into a performance you have "listened to" hundreds of times. (And holy cow, was Star Trek freeken loud!)

Dean, you probably fit the APB for the type of person that would enjoy the company of the pixies that come from an external amp. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave the pixies.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters