Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: Set on Axiom speakers, need avice
Seekinganswers #282715 12/17/09 03:10 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Seek, the M22s plus a good sub(which you'll have) are excellent for music. One step that will get you an even better listening experience is to drop the concept of "strict" or "pure" 2-channel listening. Most of the sound at a concert reaches the listeners as reflected ambience from directions other than the front. This sound has to be mixed into the front channels because there's no place else to put it in 2-channel formats. HT receivers(such as your excellent 606)can apply processing such as DPLII to extract the ambience from the front channels and send it to the surrounds where it belongs, making the home listening experience a bit more realistic. I'd never voluntarily limit myself to listening through only front speakers when surrounds are available.

So, as a temporary measure you can use whatever speakers you have as side surrounds, although they won't precisely match the excellence of the M22s. When your budget permits, you should consider the QSs to further improve your listening. As far as amplification, you already have all you need for optimum sound quality.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #282724 12/17/09 04:32 AM
J
buff
buff
J
Seek, I am a recent Axiom customer, and I was in the exact position as you are. I have the M22's, VP150, QS8's and the PB12-NSD in my apartment. I too was worried the M22's would not give me what I wanted and thought about the M60's. All these guys gave me the same input they've given you and boy were they right.

The M22's are excellent, and as Grunt said, paired with the SVS you won't be missing much, if anything! I initially purchased the fronts and center speaker and used them alone for over a month with no complaints. Once I added the SVS it definately filled out the bass. I think you will be absolutely satisfied with this choice. I must add, you better bolt your sh*t down cuz the SVS is gonna kick your @ss in home theater use, and sounds excellent for music in 2.1 channel as is my preference.

jumbo_tron #282725 12/17/09 05:11 AM
devotee
devotee
I had narrowed my choice of speakers for my two channel playback system down to Gallo Ref3's or offerings from Zu when I stumbled upon the 6moon's review of the M80. Up until then, I had dismissed Axiom as being some consumer grade HT crap, based solely on their low price. I was stuck in audio snob land, believing that decent speakers start around 3k and only go up from there.

Then I researched all the info that's out there (including this forum!) about the Axiom product line. I decided to test the water with the purchase of the M22's, figuring that if they sucked, no big deal, I can send them back.

I was still skeptical up until I inserted the banana plugs into the speakers.

Tomorrow will mark one week since I've had them, and I can say without reservation that they are simply, astoundingly great!

What initially turned me off about Axiom (the ridiculously low price) has now become a badge of pride. The steal that I got them for makes me love them that much more! \:\)

I will be using all Axiom speakers for my home audio now. And that way, I will be able to afford that $10,000 turntable that I want sooner than later!

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

jumbo_tron #282726 12/17/09 05:12 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Grunt,

What are you currently using your M22s for?

JohnK,

Your regards for the 606 has renewed my confidence in my receiver to handle the task. I will definitely take into consideration 5.1 music listening and try to compare the difference between 2 channel and 2.1. I personally enjoy being immersed in the ambiance a surround system creates.

jumbo_tron,

I am so envious of you! You have the exact same setup I am dying to get. What receiver are you currently running them with? Can you rate your new home theater experience with these speakers? Are you currently satisfied? I am very curious as to how great the M22s will turn out for me.

I wish I could used the money I've saved up so far to buy these now but I know I will have a crazy time back home in Florida for this holiday season.

Seeking

Speakers: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-Rs and eD A2-300 x 2.
Receiver: Marantz 6006
audiosavant #282727 12/17/09 05:20 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
audiosavant,

Thanks for sharing how blown away you are with the M22s. It certainly helps seal the deal on the upcoming purchase.

Seeking

Seekinganswers #282728 12/17/09 05:27 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
I recently bought about 10 new Blu movies and I've just piled them up in a corner unopened and will not be touched until I get the M22s in my hand. I want the experience to be great, and I won't be getting that with my current polks. This gives me greater incentive to try to acquire these speakers asap so I can go back to doing what I love to do and that is watching movies.

I am a perfectionist and it's not healthy, but what can I do. I am really excited about these speakers.

Seeking

Seekinganswers #282736 12/17/09 07:21 AM
J
buff
buff
J
Seeking, I'm using a low end Denon AVR-1610 with mine and it has been excellent, no problems whatsoever, and has every feature I could possibly need at this point.

I'm am currently absolutely satisfied. As for a rating, I'm really just getting into the home theater thing, but for the price and performance compared to my buddies "big box" and other systems,
I'd have to give it an 11 out of 10!
I have no regrets with my purchase and wouldn't change a thing. Just go for it! Either way, no matter what you get from Axiom you get their excellent customer service, good luck with your purchase.

Seekinganswers #282737 12/17/09 07:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Presently I’m using my M22s as DSX wide speakers in an 8.2 setup. Prior to that, before I had my projector and screen, I was using a single M22 as a center speaker below my HDTV. Prior to that I was using the M22s as L/R mains in temporary (4 month) setup in my apartment after tearing most of my system down so I could box it up in anticipation of moving.

If I decide to keep using wide speakers I think I may order a pair of M2s to try in that role as I think they M2s would be sufficient as wides based on Fred’s comments using them a centers for his M80s. Then I would move the M22s to another room to use on their own.

Also keep in mind that you can always continue to use your Polks as surround or rear speakers until you get some QS8s. Sometimes something is better than nothing. My first surround speakers were detached speakers form a boom box being feed directly off the analogue outs on my Oppo. My sub woofer was a Buttkicker LFE kit.

Something you might consider if you plan on being in a townhouse for some time is that a Buttkicker (or other tactile transducer) will give you the shaking and rumbling of a good subwoofer w/o going through the walls and disturbing your neighbors. Might be worth the investment down the road if you plan on sharing walls with other people for some time. But get a good subwoofer first.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Seekinganswers #282749 12/17/09 02:26 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
 Originally Posted By: Seekinganswers
I recently bought about 10 new Blu movies and I've just piled them up in a corner unopened and will not be touched until I get the M22s in my hand. I want the experience to be great, and I won't be getting that with my current polks. This gives me greater incentive to try to acquire these speakers asap so I can go back to doing what I love to do and that is watching movies.

I am a perfectionist and it's not healthy, but what can I do. I am really excited about these speakers.

Seeking

Make sure you hold off on those movies until you get your sub woofer too or you're just going to watch them all over again!

I bought my M22's several months ago; I have 3 for my L/C/R. I then bought the Oppo Blu Ray player so I could use the analog outs on it and get the HD sound through to my old AVR, all the while waiting on my sub woofer purchase.

Needless to say movie watching has been quite blissful the last several months, but now that I have the budget for a sub woofer, and will be picking one up in the next couple of weeks I've got to go through all those movies again... I know, I'm sure it will be quite painful \:\)

roar #282750 12/17/09 02:56 PM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
jumbo_tron,

If your receiver is working great for you, mine will probably work great for this setup then. Its nice to hear you are completely satisfied.

I just had the notion that you had to spend big money in order to enjoy great sound, but from your testimony and many others here, a moderate amount spent on axiom speakers goes a long way!

Grunt,

Thanks for the advice on the buttkicker, it sounds like an interesting product. As of right now, I don't foresee my neighbors having any problems when I get the new speakers.

I have been thinking about using my polks for center and surround duties until I can round out my axiom purchases, but my ocd will probably kick in and stay my hand.

Roar,

Haha, I can see that you understand why I want to hold off. My roommate doesn't quite get it but he knows I have a passion for these things and it has to be just right.

I will probably be able to get the M22s and the SVS at the same time. I'll have enough for the sub while I wait for the M22s to be delivered.

Its great being single! Well, for the most part =)

Seeking

Last edited by Seekinganswers; 12/17/09 02:59 PM.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020