AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
2 registered (MarkSJohnson, Ken.C), 70 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22895 Topics
404593 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17781
pmbuko 16277
SirQuack 13336
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10899
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2846 - 05/02/02 09:50 AM 5 way gold plated binding posts
ravi_singh Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Montreal
Hello everyone

I have always heard the term '5 way gold plated binding posts', and have just grown to accept that these are great binding posts, but I have no idea what '5 way' means.

Can anyone shed some light on what 5 way means?

thanks!

#2847 - 05/02/02 10:53 AM Re: 5 way gold plated binding posts
lando622 Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida, USA
Ravi,

Here's what I found from my Crutchfield catalog (p114 of Winter/Spring catalog):

"Connector type ... Spring clips accept bare wire and pin connectors. Binding posts add spade-connector and banana-plug capability. 5-way binding posts go one step further and also accept double-banana plugs."

Looks like 5-way means that all five connection types can be hooked up.

My Onkyo-600 receiver has "banana plug-compatible speaker posts" which is like a "3-way binding post" in that it can take bare wire, pins, and banana plugs. Won't take spades, or doesn't look like it will.

Hope this clears it up!

Rob

#2848 - 05/02/02 11:22 AM Re: 5 way gold plated binding posts
alan Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Toronto/New York/Dwight
Hi Rob, Ravi,
Depends on how thick the post is whether it will accept spade lugs. The Axiom posts will accept 1/2-inch spades with a 3/8-inch interior measurement. Or you can always stick one side of the spade into the hole in the post (clumsy, I admit, but it works).

Yes, I forgot about the double banana plugs. I used them testing gear in a pro lab years ago but never at home. The spacing of the posts isn't always consistent to accept the double plugs. But hey, we've got the 5 ways. Way cool!

All this discussion of plugs and holes makes me want to make a vulgar joke about the bishop and the showgirl but this isn't the place for such levity......!

Regards,

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.