Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The perfect power source for M80's!!!
SirQuack #285954 01/08/10 04:18 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
as long as the Luxman doesn't go into protect mode, lol ;\)

That would just be my luck! So I paid three months worth of house payments for this? Oy!

But, according to various reviews and info I have gleaned, it's 20 watts at 8ohms and 40 watts at 4ohms and...

From
Paul Seydor @ The Absolute Sound:

Quote:
Its 20Wpc into 8‑ohm, 40Wpc into 4‑ohm rating may seem light beside many of today’s brutes; but this is pure Class A solid-state, so it plays louder than the numbers suggest. And Luxman’s are very conservatively rated watts that one lab measured at nearly four times the nominal specification before clipping.

It's that damn pesky 4ohm load that makes finding a good power source for the M80's um... interesting.

But I think (barring finding some used higher end audiophile gear cheap) I have found three two channel integrated amplifiers (what, you think I don't really want separates consisting of an expensive pre amp and giant mono-blocks? \:\) ) that I think, could possibly be an excellent match for the M80's.

And at three price points!!!

Cheap option #1: At $369.00, Virtue Audio's Virtue One.2 (a little more $ for power supply upgrade), a class D amp that is getting raves reviews in audio circles. It has a sub out (yeah!), that's cool, but only one source in and no phono stage. But I am very curious about Class D amplifiers.

Linky: http://store.virtueaudio.com/product-p/vrtu-ia-vaone.2-pbf-1.htm

Mid priced option #2: At $1,672.00, the PrimaLuna ProLoue Two. This is the more "rational" higher end choice. Main selling point? Tubes baby! And it has 4 and 8 ohm speaker taps. A phono stage addition adds $199.00 to the price. Still, a modestly priced unit.

Linkyness: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/ProLogue-Two-Integrated-Amplifier_p_592.html

Higher priced option #3 (my budget ceiling basically) the aforementioned Luxman L‑550A II. What interests me about this unit is it's rock solid engineering/build, supposedly amazing phono stage (mm and mc) and balanced input option (would come in handy for my reel to reel and other "pro" level gear) and of course, it's retro 1970's "receiver" look. As I get older, I'm becoming a nostalgic bastard, and I really want a two channel set-up that is decidedly un-digital (except for cd/sacd) in it's presentation and appearance. Oh, and it looks like it is built to withstand a direct nuclear hit and would probably outlive it's owner...

The company has been making amazingly well designed and great sounding audio gear since 1925!

more link-a-liciousness: http://www.luxman.co.jp/global/index.html

Those are just a few of my options. I am also interested in vintage/used stuff as well. Will be on the look out for rich audiophiles unloading kit because they are "bored" or afflicted with "upgrade fever" or are no longer "rich"... \:\)

In fact, I may actually just prefer finding a 1970's era receiver that someone has stashed away in their closet and that has no idea that someone would want such a bulky, heavy, tube-y monster in this day and age of wonderful "digital progress". Now that would be sweet!

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #285959 01/08/10 05:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I remember a few years (possibly more) back seeing a late 60's/early 70's Marantz receiver (beautiful looking) in a pawn shop, that I wouldn't mind owning, but the price, as I remember, was almost twice what a new one would have cost at the time, so I sadly left without it.

CatBrat #285960 01/08/10 05:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I remember back several years ago selling my '70s vintage 120wpc Pioneer SX-1080 stereo receiver at a garage sale for about 20 or 30 bucks ... it had been in the attic for a long time and I didn't realize the value of cleaning and using it for myself.

I kick myself in the azz every time I think about that nowadays.

Doh.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #285963 01/08/10 05:49 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Jeez, Rick, that story makes me want to have you bend over so I can kick you too!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
RickF #285965 01/08/10 05:58 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
That’s a nice looking amp. I love the retro look. However, I would not buy it considering the power output. If it was 100 watt, I’d go for it, maybe, but not 20 – no way. Not at that price.

You can pick up slightly used two channel Mac’s for 5K all day long. I just passed on one.

But if this floats your boat, that’s really all that matters. It’s your money. Happy sailing!

RickF #285966 01/08/10 06:01 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: RickF
I remember back several years ago selling my '70s vintage 120wpc Pioneer SX-1080 stereo receiver at a garage sale for about 20 or 30 bucks ... it had been in the attic for a long time and I didn't realize the value of cleaning and using it for myself.

I kick myself in the azz every time I think about that nowadays.

Doh.

You too, I had the same exact one and sold it years ago.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

pmbuko #285974 01/08/10 08:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
 Quote:
I can easily hear the differences between tubes, transistors, digital amps (class D) etc. I can tell quality with my ears as well.

Even so, I'm betting you'd have your mind blown by participating in a double-blind listening session where you put this assertion to the test.

But then again we are talking about different technologies here too. Tubes vs. SS, Class A vs Class D.
At least there is a potential understanding why one might hear a difference between an apple and an orange falling in the forest with no one around.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
audiosavant #285975 01/08/10 08:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: audiosavant
supposedly amazing phono stage (mm and mc) and balanced input option (would come in handy for my reel to reel and other "pro" level gear)

Reel to reel and vinyl making a comeback?
I guess at some point human beings have to regress before we can progress again.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
SirQuack #285979 01/08/10 08:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
I'm suprised JohnK didn't mention this article, Do all amplifiers sound the same, of course your brain might be different where a blind audiophile panel could not tell the difference between a cheap Pioneer AVR and fancy dancy amps costing thousands.

I won't go back and read this article again, but all of the blind test articles always seem to miss the point of distinction I notice - clarity, smoothness (fill in the blank) at the upper edge of the volume range. In other words, I don't notice that my amp is better. I notice that at 100db a certain passage lacks a shrill point on a particular word or musical segment that my AVR adds at that volume. If turned down to the safe zone of both amps, yes, no real difference.

But that does not mean there is no difference in my actual use - i.e., my chase for recreation of the live event, with all its peaks.

One more vote for the Pixie Dust.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #285982 01/08/10 08:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Distortion at higher levels?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters