Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The perfect power source for M80's!!!
Adrian #285983 01/08/10 08:52 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Distortion at higher levels?

Most likely.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #285984 01/08/10 09:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's my assumption as well - headroom to stay away from the clipping.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
audiosavant #285986 01/08/10 09:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: audiosavant
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I think that was the point everyone was trying to get across with the $4800 amp you want to buy. Are you sure there isn't a cheaper option that sounds as good, like maybe Axiom's A1400-2, half the price \:\)

Man, those A1400-2's are bad boys for sure. But I would still need a pre-amp and phono stage.

I think the Luxman/M80 set-up for $6100.00 would easily rival systems in the 10k to 20k range.

Yes, I agree; you can't beat the 70's gear. I picked up this gem for $8,500 a few days ago. Real bargain, but sounds like the 70 - free and exploratory. Every now and then you even get the sounds of mutton-chops on the left channel.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #285988 01/08/10 09:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Does it have real "stimulated" wood veneer, Charles?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
chesseroo #286006 01/08/10 11:53 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
supposedly amazing phono stage (mm and mc) and balanced input option (would come in handy for my reel to reel and other "pro" level gear)

Reel to reel and vinyl making a comeback?

It never went away bro! In fact, vinyl lp's are currently the only real growth area in the music business. A small market share obviously, but doing a healthy business nonetheless. Lot's of younger people are getting into turntables and vinyl culture.

Almost all new releases (of quality) are offered on vinyl now.

I'll take a 180 gram audiophile vinyl pressing over a 16 bit cd any day!

DVD audio is much better than cd's, but because of illegal downloads and the stupidity of the music industry, DVD audio is stagnant and not really fixing the "problem" of the decline of recorded music sales. I believe this will (hopefully) change.

In audio, digital is only good for one thing (and up until high resolution dvd/sacd, just barely that), for storing/editing/processing analog sound.

But there are new developments that give me hope about digital audio. DSD (direct stream digital). It is the future, and is almost as rich and audiophile as analog recording is. You heard it here first kids!

In the music industry, most big budget projects are typically recorded onto two inch analog tape and then transferred to digital audio workstations for editing/mixing/mastering. Why? Because digital is just not quite "there" yet.

I'm currently working on a medium budget project being tracked (recorded) onto two inch tape. The cost of the tape alone is enough to finance a decent home recording set-up! But, quality cost $$$, and there are a few of us around who still care about that sort of thing.

That's also why most big budget films are still shot on film, not digital (unless it's mostly CGI/animation) and then transferred to digital for editing, etc.

So reel to reels and vinyl have not been replaced by digital. And until digital get's "better", they won't be.

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #286015 01/09/10 01:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You mean my box of vinyl sitting in the basement might actually be worth something?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #286023 01/09/10 02:43 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
I am always a little surprised SACD and DVD-A never became more popular and pushed by the big companies. These digital formats are nearly hack proof, especially SACD, as very few people have the equipment at home to rip these formats.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
audiosavant #286043 01/09/10 04:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
DVD audio is much better than cd's, but because of illegal downloads and the stupidity of the music industry, DVD audio is stagnant and not really fixing the "problem" of the decline of recorded music sales. I believe this will (hopefully) change.
DVD-Audio is dead. Hopefully it'll be replaced by BD Profile 3.0

Quote:
In audio, digital is only good for one thing (and up until high resolution dvd/sacd, just barely that), for storing/editing/processing analog sound.
Once you store analog sound in a digital format for editing and processing, it is no longer analog.

Quote:
But there are new developments that give me hope about digital audio. DSD (direct stream digital). It is the future, and is almost as rich and audiophile as analog recording is. You heard it here first kids!
I heard of DSD and SACDs in 1999 as they were being introduced. I've also not heard of any popular music being released on them since about 2006. DSD is a horrible format, all the limitations of analog, a limited slew rate, and the inability to manipulate it mathematically, so it doesn't get much benefit of being "digital". Sony had the opportunity to have it included as an optional audio format for BD, and passed. If Sony doesn't have faith in their own format, it might as well be dead.

Quote:
In the music industry, most big budget projects are typically recorded onto two inch analog tape and then transferred to digital audio workstations for editing/mixing/mastering. Why? Because digital is just not quite "there" yet.
How does recording to analog tape, and then passing that playback through an ADC differ from capturing the live performance straight into an ADC? Oh, the analog tape rolls off the highs, and adds hiss. Definitely don't want to lose out on that "analog sound".

Quote:
That's also why most big budget films are still shot on film, not digital (unless it's mostly CGI/animation) and then transferred to digital for editing, etc.
The biggest budget film so far, Avatar, was shot digitally. So were: Alice in Wonderland, Apocalypto, The Cell, Coraline, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Gamer, Jumper, Knowing, Public Enemies, Sin City, Slumdog Millionaire, Zodiac, and so many others including, of course, the new Star Wars trilogy.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
jakewash #286044 01/09/10 04:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I am always a little surprised SACD and DVD-A never became more popular and pushed by the big companies. These digital formats are nearly hack proof, especially SACD, as very few people have the equipment at home to rip these formats.

I think the ripping software never became popular because the formats themselves were not popular. Granted, it would take a custom firmware for a DVD drive to be able to read SACD, I'm sure one would be hacked up, if the discs were popular enough.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #286049 01/09/10 04:53 AM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon

I think the ripping software never became popular because the formats themselves were not popular. Granted, it would take a custom firmware for a DVD drive to be able to read SACD, I'm sure one would be hacked up, if the discs were popular enough.
I was thinking that as I wrote it. But it would cut down on how many people would be willing to rip as it would require a fair bit of tech savvy vs almost none right now. Kind of like all the people trying so hard to stay one step ahead or equal to Nintendo so they can run homebrew and copy discs etc.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics