fredk #286922 01/15/10 02:25 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: fredk
1. M80 over M60 for the same reasons others posted.
2. No.
3. Not until the 3808 runs out of power and that will be at very, very loud levels unless you have a huge room.
4. From what I understand, the vp100/150 will keep up just fine. A single M80 would be your best choice (perfect match) if it would fit.
5. I don't think there would be any advantage to stacking centers under the screen.
6. Don't know, but I bet a single M22 would work just fine. I can't think of any advantage to dual M22s

Quote:
Am I crazy to even consider this?

Nah, just an audioholic. ;\)

Thanks fredk, I think my mind is being put to rest with all of the reassurances of the VP150 holding its own and the M80 still sounding detailed at low volumes.

It still would be interesting though to see what results I get with stacked VP150's and/or M22's. Oh the curiosity...

Re: Low level listening & dual speaker centre HELP
#286926 01/15/10 02:44 AM
shareholder in the making
Nut, welcome. Clearly no on 2. and 3. As to 4.- 6., a single vertical M22 should be excellent and should be at least tried. If more volume capability is needed you can add a second one later.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #286927 01/15/10 02:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: htnut
Greetings everyone, newbie here so please be gentle.

I seek some feedback, advice, and opinions please regarding my home theatre setup. My wife does not like playback to be very loud but I like to hear as much detail as possible. I am considering two M80's and a single VP150 for my LCR channels (already have sub & surrounds).

1. Will I hear more detail at LOW volumes going with the M60/VP100 or M60/VP150 combo instead?

Not really. The differences would be minor at best. IMO no difference.

2. Will an external amp give me more detail at LOW volumes over a Denon 3808?

No. An external amp or even the Denon 3808 would be overkill at low volumes.

3. Will an external amp give me better sound and/or more detail over a Denon 3808 regardless of volume?

Only in the case that an external amp doesn't reach distortion/clip at extreme dynamic peaks that might occur with the Denon 3808. More than likely a rare and unlikely situation unless you have a great room (3000 cubic feet and up) and listening at deafening levels.

4.I like my centre to match as closely to the mains as possible, but the VP150 doesn't, on paper at least, look like it can keep up with two M80's. I'm using a front projector and would get a third M80 for my centre if I could, but would need to lie it down on its side under the screen. Any ideas how that might sound?

Just get the VP150.

5. Alternatively, I'm considering two VP100's or two VP150's stacked on top of each other under the screen (unable to mount one above the screen). Any comments on how that may sound? Some people have run dual VP150's in the past.

You have to be aware that it would present a more damanding load on the receiver. A single VP150 will be more than sufficient.

6. Lastly, I'm also considering two M22's side by side under the screen. Any opinions on how that might work out?

Don't bother.

Which of the options do you think would sound best? Am I crazy to even consider this?
Not crazy at all. \:\)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
JohnK #286936 01/15/10 03:51 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Nut, welcome. Clearly no on 2. and 3. As to 4.- 6., a single vertical M22 should be excellent and should be at least tried. If more volume capability is needed you can add a second one later.

Thanks JohnK! The M22 has me intrigued because of the tremendous feedback I hear & read from those who have tried and/or own them. It'd be interesting to compare it to a VP150.

BlueJays1 #286938 01/15/10 04:01 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
 Originally Posted By: htnut
Greetings everyone, newbie here so please be gentle.

I seek some feedback, advice, and opinions please regarding my home theatre setup. My wife does not like playback to be very loud but I like to hear as much detail as possible. I am considering two M80's and a single VP150 for my LCR channels (already have sub & surrounds).

1. Will I hear more detail at LOW volumes going with the M60/VP100 or M60/VP150 combo instead?

Not really. The differences would be minor at best. IMO no difference.

2. Will an external amp give me more detail at LOW volumes over a Denon 3808?

No. An external amp or even the Denon 3808 would be overkill at low volumes.

3. Will an external amp give me better sound and/or more detail over a Denon 3808 regardless of volume?

Only in the case that an external amp doesn't reach distortion/clip at extreme dynamic peaks that might occur with the Denon 3808. More than likely a rare and unlikely situation unless you have a great room (3000 cubic feet and up) and listening at deafening levels.

4.I like my centre to match as closely to the mains as possible, but the VP150 doesn't, on paper at least, look like it can keep up with two M80's. I'm using a front projector and would get a third M80 for my centre if I could, but would need to lie it down on its side under the screen. Any ideas how that might sound?

Just get the VP150.

5. Alternatively, I'm considering two VP100's or two VP150's stacked on top of each other under the screen (unable to mount one above the screen). Any comments on how that may sound? Some people have run dual VP150's in the past.

You have to be aware that it would present a more damanding load on the receiver. A single VP150 will be more than sufficient.

6. Lastly, I'm also considering two M22's side by side under the screen. Any opinions on how that might work out?

Don't bother.

Which of the options do you think would sound best? Am I crazy to even consider this?
Not crazy at all. \:\)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Dr.House. My room is 3500cu ft. and I do like to listen loud, although my wife likes to listen at moderate levels, thus the need to cover both ends of the spectrum.

#286939 01/15/10 04:10 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

With your room size despite what the others say you might indeed need/want an external amp. It truly does depend on the levels you listen at but at high levels it's not unreasonable to believe one could tax the power a receiver can deliver.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #286940 01/15/10 04:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You can always start with 3808 and see if it provides what you want. The great thing is you can use the pre-out section of the 3808 and add a 2 channel external amp for the mains to upgrade any power requirements you might demand.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
#286942 01/15/10 04:24 AM
old hand
old hand
htnut, just so you know I tried 2-M22's and if you get the spacing right they sound good for me about 3 1/2 ft apart. Then I ran just one of them and it was loud enough by itself. Seeing how the VP150 is a 6ohm speaker it should play louder than one M22. Just my 2cents have a good one.

Gieseman
Gieseman #286949 01/15/10 05:08 AM
If you have a 3808 as I do, you should be using Audyssey's Dynamic Volume and night or evening mode. That way you still get great dynamics and don't wake up the family. An external amp or dual centers will not give you this.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Wid #286950 01/15/10 05:16 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: wid

With your room size despite what the others say you might indeed need/want an external amp. It truly does depend on the levels you listen at but at high levels it's not unreasonable to believe one could tax the power a receiver can deliver.

Thanks wid, I think you're right but I was also curious if I would notice any difference with an external amp when I'm NOT taxing the receiver. I think the consensus is no at this point, which is good news for my wallet.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters