Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Just Music, Really...No SRS or Plasma...Music!
#28828 12/26/03 06:57 AM
robkap Offline OP
OP Offline
I am the proud Christmas recipient of an HK AVR230 receiver that will be the center of the STEREO I am putting together in our living room (15 x 21 w/10' ceiling, carpet).

There is not and will never be a television in this room (the tv thing is happening elsewhere). I want a system for music, and only music (classical, jazz, rock).

Tower speakers probably work better than bookshelves because...no bookshelves where speakers will go.

I've heard great things about axiom, but am starting from square 1.

One more question -- how important is a sub in the non-tv world?

Suggestions?

Thanks, very much, for any help.

Rob

Re: Just Music, Really...No SRS or Plasma...Music!
#28829 12/26/03 09:08 AM
old hand
old hand
I think the universal answer around here would be to either opt for the M60's, or M22's + sub. The M60's would probably do very well with your size of room.

For the types of music you mention, you're not going to need a whole lot of frequency depth below the 35hz that the M60's reach easily. However, if you listen to a lot very bass-heavy classical, a subwoofer may be very important - whichever speaker you go with.

I myself only listen to 2-channel stereo, which is what I use my M40's for. I prefer bright living spaces, though - hardwood floors, etc. The house I live in now (and own) actually has hardwood floors AND ceilings in many places. I don't have any music hooked up yet, as I'm painting... but I'm really curious how things are going to sound with the way this place echoes!

I really think the M40's are the perfect speaker for me - they don't cost too much (important), don't take up much room at all for a tower, and don't generate the slightest bit of fatigue. I also listen to vinyl almost exclusively, so I would think a warm speaker would fit nicely. Having said that, I may opt to try out some m22 or m2s in my new space and move the M40's elsewhere. I'd really like to try out a more "open" speaker, although I really do fear that I won't much like it in my environment and with my taste in music.

I can only offer what I feel I've experienced with my 2-channel setup - which has really just been musical bliss ever since owning the axioms. I have literally listened to every bit of music I own since owning them just to notice so much more that I never heard before. These speakers are a steal for that level of personal enjoyment.

cheers!

#28830 12/26/03 08:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Tower speakers probably work better than bookshelves because...no bookshelves where speakers will go.

I just have to comment on this..

Bookshelf speakers will sound indefinetly better when mounted on proper stands than they ever would sitting on a bookshelf. thought you'd like to know.

#28831 12/26/03 09:27 PM
shareholder in the making
Indefinitely better, eh? I agree, but you meant infinitely better, right?

While it's probably much easier to get better sound from bookshelves mounted on stands, it's not impossible or even very difficult to get equally good sound with bookshelf speakers mounted on bookshelves as long as they are the not so tall that the tweeters are well above your ear level.

#28832 12/27/03 12:35 AM
robkap Offline OP
OP Offline
Truth be told, I have a 1.5 year old and a 3.5 year old -- towers seem more stable than bookshelves on stands...

Sound better, too, no?

#28833 12/27/03 09:23 AM
devotee
devotee
i would go with an m60 since you wont be watching movies where deep loud bass is more of an issue. The m60 will be fine for that space and they will sound pretty nice.
Also, you might save yourself some money buy going with the m60 sans sub.

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#28834 12/27/03 09:57 AM
I agree with Hawkson here. The M60s will adequately cover your basses -- um, bases -- with the music genres you mentioned. Unless you listen to a lot of organ music, or deep bassy rock, the M60s are your best bet.

The sound will only get better, though, if you add a sub. One reason for this is that a sub takes over reprocuding the lowest octaves of music. This relieves the speaker and the amp of that duty, leaving more power and accuracy for the rest of the sound spectrum.

#28835 12/27/03 10:13 PM
aficionado
aficionado
if the m-80s fall within your budget,consider them-your room is a good size with high ceilings and carpet,might as well go for it ,also,a sub in the non tv world is important to me,i notice that a lot of todays rock recordings do have deep bass that would require a sub to get the full effect-imo-good luck........ron

#28836 12/27/03 10:28 PM
robkap Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback and advice.

It's something of a leap of faith to order speakers over the web, sight unseen/unheard. But I guess I'm counting on two things:

1) Terrific Axiom feedback here and elsewhere.
2) Value: I just hate the retail model, where I'm compensating a salesperson who knows less than I do for shuffling paper. It seems like the buy-direct model could/should deliver greater value.

I appreciate the community here: Axiom is smart to encourage it.

- Rob

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters