#2883 05/04/02 06:40 PM
Z
Ziggy Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Z
Lets see if I can articulate this...
I am eagerly awaiting some M60's. This question has to do with connecting subwoofer.
(1). Should I connect the sub directly to the receiver with rca connects (the easy way)?

(2). Should I hook the sub up to the receiver(Front left and right) and then from the sub to the speakers.

The reason I am asking is because I only knew one way. Sub to receiver using rca. After reading several articles and posts I'm really confused as the preferred way seems to be going the second route.

Can anyone help or lead me to a good article?

Re: Speaker and sub set-up
#2884 05/05/02 08:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Ziggy,
Direct connection using RCA interconnect to the Subwoofer Output jack on your receiver is a more electrically elegant way to do it and requires fewer cable runs between the receiver, the subwoofer, and your speakers. It also simplifies and centralizes bass management and control at your receiver.

Then again, if it's more convenient in your room setup to use speaker-level connections to the sub and then to the main speakers, try it out. As to sound quality, I've never done A/B listening comparisons of the two connection schemes, although from a theoretical viewpoint, if there are differences to be heard, I doubt you'd hear them on 5.1-channel program material; maybe on test signals.

In my own setups, I've always been satisfied with audio quality using the line-level RCA connection from a receiver to the sub.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Re: Speaker and sub set-up
#2885 05/05/02 08:30 PM
Z
Ziggy Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Z
Thanks, Alan.