Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22
Re: Where in the world is Bren?
medic8r #288872 01/27/10 04:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
And Jack, thanks for the movie tips. Good stuff. Quick question - do you happen to have any tips on getting them past the wife-beast that guards the Netflix queue?

You're most welcome, J.P, but you're asking the wrong guy about sneaking anything past a wife-beast. I'm single. You're on your own with that one.

EDIT: Had a thought. Start her out with WWII psychological drama/love story movies like Eye Of The Needle (a good spy drama) or So Proudly We Hail (a really good story about nurses on Bataan) or The Human Comedy (a very emotional drama about the home front. Bring a box of kleenex).

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #288876 01/27/10 04:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There is an old WWII movie (B&W) that I have only seen once years ago. Set on a Japanese held island - lots of caves. I can't even remember who the cast was - what I do remember is that a big deal was made out of the handling of the dog tags for the KIA's. They place the Tag in the mouth longways between the upper and lower teeth stating that was the best way to insure that the tags did not get lost. Does that ring any bells?

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Ken.C #288881 01/27/10 05:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Don't forget the all time classic, "Das Boot," (the original version,) although I'm betting you didn't.

I also liked "A Bridge to Far" although it was a bit more 'Hollywoody' compared to others listed so far.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #288899 01/27/10 08:39 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Thanks for the welcomes back and the movie ideas... wrote them down to take to the video store with me.

Been watching a good deal of them... sometimes theme nights... like U-571, Run Silent Run Deep and Das Boot all in a night (with a sub sandwich for supper)... my last pile was supposed to be a Lee Marvin set, but the only one available was the Dirty Dozen (with a bonus disc of the made for TV sequel... that lasted 15 minutes before I turned it off)

By memory, I've had: Johnny Got His Gun, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, U-571, Das Boot, Run Silent Run Deep, Pork Chop Hill, Hamburger Hill, Flying Tigers, M*A*S*H, A Bridge Too Far, Tora Tora Tora, Black Hawk Down, All Quiet on the Western Front, Enemy at the Gates, Great Escape, Dirty Dozen, Three Kings, Full Metal Jacket, Bridge on the River Kwai, Shaving Ryan's Privates, and probably a few dozen more I tried to forget.

Bren R.

BrenR #288902 01/27/10 08:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Please tell me you haven't overlooked Band of Brothers. \:o

Jack

Ajax #288907 01/27/10 09:04 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Someday, I'm gonna watch that, Jack! \:\)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
grunt #288908 01/27/10 09:04 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
 Originally Posted By: grunt
Ok you are single now so first lesson. You don’t have to fold towels. That’s what the “clean pile” is for. A walk-in closet works great to store the “clean pile” an extra bedroom will do in a pinch. You can sell, give or throw away that dresser now that It’s redundant. Also get rid of the hangers. Only things that go on hangers are stuff that needs to be dry cleaned everything else goes in the “clean pile.”
Uh, you realize I'm already teetering on the brink of "undateable"... my fridge magnets are made out of 12ga. low brass shotgun shells and my key rack/mirror at the door has .303 Brit brass for key hooks. I have to hang up my clothes or it may put me over the edge into fully undateable.

Originally Posted By: Murph
Keep us updated when you feel inclined so we can live vicariously through your stories and remember, even if you don't have any good stories, you owe it to us to make some up.
Not too much in the way of stories... dipped my toe back into the dating pool twice, once with a very nice and attractive young lady from the range (all this, and guns, too!) - was a little weird to date someone with the same Body Mass Index as myself (oh look, the number 11 walking down the street) and weirder yet with the big age difference "Hey, remember when Reagan was shot? Oh, wait... uh, the Challenger disaster? Oh, no I guess not, you were one day old... crap..." The second time was with a long term friend, some people you just can't make that jump with. Ah, well.

Originally Posted By: Ajax
Anytime, Sean. \:\) I'm both a huge movie fan and a World War II history buff.
At your age, wasn't WW2 "that newfangled war"?

Bren R.

BrenR #288910 01/27/10 09:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Not exactly, but the Japanese surrender on the deck of the U.S.S. Missouri took place less than 90 days before my birth, so it was certainly considered recent history during my formative years.

Jack

Ajax #288912 01/27/10 09:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So I take it that no one has seen the Japanese Island with caves and dog tag movie?
Edit:
THe group (including myself) is stumped?

Last edited by Argon; 01/27/10 09:22 PM.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #288914 01/27/10 09:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
 Originally Posted By: Argon
So I take it that no one has seen the Japanese Island with caves and dog tag movie?
Edit:
THe group (including myself) is stumped?
The caves one sounds a bit like Guns of Navarone... and I seem to remember a movie making mention of the dog tags but not sure that was the same one.

Bren R.

Page 3 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 21 22

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020