Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The coolest remote ever....
Glitchy #290126 02/03/10 01:50 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well... Serial ports worked on the first shot... not much surprise.
The IR part... Nothing is working, including their samples and strings copy/pasted from other GC100 users...
I sent an email to their support.
Going off-line for the rest of the evening. \:\(
Not a happy camper.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #290135 02/03/10 02:50 AM
shareholder in the making
Don't those IR ports act both as inputs and outputs?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Glitchy #290138 02/03/10 03:05 AM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: wordgasm
 Originally Posted By: SolidState
I've been using the Promixis software since freeware girder. Global Cache is fantastic hardware for that software. The Promixis software and Global Cache hardware is a fantastic one two punch!

Another worth looking at is Housebot.

http://www.housebot.com

It can also use the Global Cache hardware.

Then there is Cinemar, Charmed Quark and Homeseer.

For the money though the Promixis and Housebot software is hard to beat!

Housebot! I bought that years ago. I thought it went south when Meedio did.

I've also bought Cinemar, and tested Charmed and Quark. They needed to mature back then. Maybe it's time to revisit some of them. GLobal Cache is already on the list for the rack.

I did as well...

And no it's not gone south at all. I thought AOL owned housebot but as it turns out the dev got his code back and has been working on it ever since. Apparently it works like a hot dam if you have windows devices and works fully with the Global Cache hardware. I have yet to try the newer builds as I'm very busy with work these days. I'll load it on my HTC Touchpro 2 when I get a chance.

As for meedio it didn't go south at all man !!!

It's VERY ALIVE and WELL in Meedios form. The deal Meedio LLC signed with AOL was very nice ;\) The have full source and have reworked to full legal GPL status I think! And the plug/skin community is just going full tilt! Please take a look! http://www.meedios.com

PS How your Cinemar experience been... it's older underpinnings to JRMC really screwed it up IMHO... I see they have their own music playback and ditched JRMC dependency... smart move LOL

Last edited by SolidState; 02/03/10 03:13 AM.
Ken.C #290165 02/03/10 09:56 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

They act IR outputs or digital sensor (you need another box for receiving IR codes). I tried all configurations and all ports...
Waiting for a response from them (not expecting any before this PM).

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #290197 02/03/10 02:10 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well... Since the likely cause of my problems is incorrect codes and that phase II of my setup (which was going to wait next month) involved an IR-receiver and learner, I decided to order them right away (will be here next week). In the meantime, I still have some work to finish the client remote and then I can use a small simulator to finalize the mechanisms of some higher-level algos.

See Mojo's signature
SolidState #290307 02/03/10 11:01 PM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G

PS How your Cinemar experience been... it's older underpinnings to JRMC really screwed it up IMHO... I see they have their own music playback and ditched JRMC dependency... smart move LOL

I'll check out Meedio and Housebot again thanks!

I bought Cinemar years ago, got some of it running but just always liked the Media CEnter interface the best. Also at the time Mainlobby didn't do TV (integrated). So used Meedio, then all the rest then back to MCE And I thought "HEy anyday now MCE will have lots of automation programs and cable card tuners!" THat was 6 years ago more.... still no great MCE automation, but cable card almost here!

Fronts/Wides:M22s in/on
Center:VP150/VP100 in/on
Hghts,SS,SR:QS8s
Sub:EP500
AVR:Onkyo 3008
EFalardeau #290642 02/05/10 05:48 PM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

They act IR outputs or digital sensor (you need another box for receiving IR codes). I tried all configurations and all ports...
Waiting for a response from them (not expecting any before this PM).

I've used that device in custom installs. I'm not sure what your saying by "digital sensor" and that you need another box to receive IR codes. Not sure what your talking about there... LOL

It can transmit as well as receive on any of the ports though not at the same time. How did you determine the RS232 works LOL I would assume unless it's DOA that all functions work!

PS Did you even order IR receivers/transmitters with it? hint... Xantech make the best IR trans/receivers

Last edited by SolidState; 02/05/10 05:51 PM.
EFalardeau #291215 02/08/10 01:01 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
This PM I started on my "smart playlist" just in time for the superboll. That's the module that will eventually control my SACD changes and the SqueezeBox through one single playlist.
For now, I just did the part to handle input selection and surround problem based on "genre".
The input selection deals with simulcast issues (watching something while listening to something else). When the "squeezebox" is playing, the pre/pro is reprogrammed for simulcast tv+audio. When I "pause" the player, the audio returns to the cable.
It's working pretty well and sparing me quite a bit of advance remote control handling (ex: to have simulcast with the D2v, you need to press for 2 seconds the video audio and then you have 1 second to select the audio; this has a 50% rate of failure in normal cases and 100% when trying to switch between audio while keep the same video.
I can't wait for when I can also control the SACD players!

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #291216 02/08/10 01:24 AM
Super... boll.

Is that some kind of big cotton seed or something?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #292648 02/17/10 02:23 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have to share this "great" customer support experience I am having with Global Caché (13 days and counting) and then I'll follow with the 30 minutes I spent with Zektor's customer support and the information I got.

First, my request started with the following:
 Originally Posted By: me
Before I go into any details about my problem, here are a few items you may need know to speed up the process.
1. Using GC-100 (12 inches edition)
2. Firmware version is 3.2
3. I performed a factory reset so all paramters are by default
4. As per documentation, IR ports are configured as "IR Out" (see attached picture)
5. IR codes tried are coming from conversion using your tool and some strings I got from members of RemoteCentral.com

I later added to that post (the day after) that I did manage to make one code work electrically, but not through the blaster and that what I really needed to know is if my getting the IR Learner would solve my problem.

Five days later, I received:

Originally Posted By: him
Eric, are you using iTalk or GC-100?

Good start! So I replied, politely but with a clear indication that a 5 seconds effort on his part might be required:

I am using GC-100, 12 inches edition. The original post contains my complete configuration.

Fours days later:

Thanks. How is it configured? You need to configure it for "IR Blaster" for it to work.

Humph...

There are no such options. Options are "IR Out", "Sensor", "IR Out No Carrier" as seen in the attached screen I provided in my initial post. Which also contained my configuration. As I mentionned, what I really, really need to know...

Last night (another four days later), I finally received:

To use IR blaster, you need version 3.2. What version have (sic)? You can ship the unit to us to upgrade the firmware

What the...??? Let's just say that I was a lot less polite and USING CAPS A LOT, in my replies.

AS A COMPLETE CONTRAST: 5-6 days after my initial post, I actually went back to try it again on my own. But then I found CCF files supplied by Zektor (my analog/digital cross-connect). I downloaded them and coverted the codes using a series of tools) some from RemoteCentral and some from Global Cache. Unsurprisingly, they did not work.

BUT, since they provide the codes, I decided to try their support (their products are expensive enough to warrant requests for information). Within 10 minutes, I received an email telling me that I should use the ".TXT" file they provide on their website (I had missed it) as Phillips constantly changes subtle encodings (to protect their database from IR-codes thieves) so unless you are using tools made specifically for my version of Pronto Edit, codes will likely fail.

I downloaded the text file. My zektor works great when connected electrically to the GC-100... AND ALSO WORKS FILE with the IR blasters supplied with the box AND with the IR blasters currently in use with my Harmony Blaster.

Two more exchanges of emails confirmed that some products DO support more codes electrically or are less picky with preamble and suffixes...

13 days, 3 messages asking for information already supplied or proposing solutions that do not exist or are impractical.

30 minutes, 4 messages and I have both a working Zektor switch AND the answer to my fundamental question: YES, the IR learner WILL solve my problem!

I thank the guy profusely. I did NOT tell Global Cache as I want their support resolving this issue, not Zektor's...

See Mojo's signature
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020