Rate Thread
Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31
Re: EP800s Under Repair Again
SRoode #291076 02/07/10 03:56 PM
SRoode Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'd like to add some more information if I could. Firstly, I hope Ian is not upset that I brought this public before receiving the speaker. It's been very hard to keep my excitement under wraps for the last 5 weeks, and I am truly looking forward to the new addition to the theater.

Secondly, and more importantly, I wanted to let everyone know how truly proud I am to be a part of the Axiom family. I was so impressed with not only Ian's depth of knowledge of speaker design and placement, but his true enthusiasm of what he and Axiom do. You can easily tell that this is more than a profession, this is a real love of what you do in your life, and it's something that is so rare today. “Speaking” (through E-mail) with Ian was like speaking with an old friend.

I would also like to add that my misfortunes so far with the EP800s should be expected. I bought prototypes and I knew that going in. I didn't really have any fear or concern because I knew Axiom would be there. Even my wife, a CPA, had absolutely no reservations because she now LOVES listening to music, and knows the type of solid company that Axiom is. They have given me customer service above and beyond any expectations I would have had before my purchases. Ian was in contact with me when my EP800 blew, and was extremely concerned. I was not expecting a replacement for a while because I know they are in limited supply and Axiom is still working the kinks out. Without any notice, an entire replacement speaker (not just an amp) was sent to me, and I didn't even box the old one up yet. This is as good as it gets.

I own 11 Axiom speakers, and I will never buy another brand speaker as long as Axiom is in business.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
SRoode #291078 02/07/10 04:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Steve, obviously the majority of us have been watching this from the sidelines and imo you and a couple of the other guys who have the 800's have shown a lot of patience with resolving these teething problems. Ian and his company have shown true professionalism to make things right, but so too, have you guys with your patience.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #291081 02/07/10 04:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well said, Steve. Our forum community shares a passion with audio and it's nice to see the company we support share that enthusiasm as well. Not only that, but to be concerned with our enjoyment over most other factors makes Axiom a very special company to be associated with.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #291105 02/07/10 06:03 PM
SRoode Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I posted this in the M80 center thread and it was moved here (I don't know who did it), so put that in perspective about my excitement for the new speaker (the new center channel)

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
SRoode #291152 02/07/10 08:34 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Steve, I agree wholeheartedly with what you've said about Axiom and Ian. I love supporting this company, and I hope no one there takes it personally when I post about a less-than-positive experience. The only thing is that I was NOT aware I was getting non-final hardware when I preordered the EP800s, and again when I got replacement amps, and again when I got this wave of replacement amps. I only find out after the fact when I read this board. I somehow keep missing any sort of heads-up.

BlueJays1 #291155 02/07/10 08:40 PM
C
CV Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Axiom doesn't seem to have history of problems with their electronics from what I have noticed. From the responses on the forum the EP800 has been the exception where the failure rates well above the norm.

It seems like there are plenty of amp replacements with all DSP models. The EP800 does seem to be even more prone to failure so far, but it does feel like I'm reading quite frequently for people to call Axiom because of an issue that has cropped up with their [pick your model]. I'm not totally comfortable saying something like this since I have no hard numbers, but I also want to be able to recommend Axiom to other people without holding back, and considering my own issues with both the EP600 and EP800, I would have to point people in another direction as far as subwoofers go. I'm still waiting it out, though, because I think it will certainly be worth it when the bugs are worked out.

CV #291165 02/07/10 08:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: CV
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Axiom doesn't seem to have history of problems with their electronics from what I have noticed. From the responses on the forum the EP800 has been the exception where the failure rates well above the norm.

It seems like there are plenty of amp replacements with all DSP models. The EP800 does seem to be even more prone to failure so far, but it does feel like I'm reading quite frequently for people to call Axiom because of an issue that has cropped up with their [pick your model]. I'm not totally comfortable saying something like this since I have no hard numbers, but I also want to be able to recommend Axiom to other people without holding back, and considering my own issues with both the EP600 and EP800, I would have to point people in another direction as far as subwoofers go. I'm still waiting it out, though, because I think it will certainly be worth it when the bugs are worked out.

The time period starting with the new EP500 amps that have been redesigned with the use a subsonic filter have been problematic as well the EP800 since its been released. I can't recall any other EP models that have had overwhelming issues on a consistent basis. But I agree with you here, I would have a hard time recommending either model right now.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #291168 02/07/10 09:11 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Maybe not overwhelming, but enough to make me think that this is what's keeping the subwoofer prices where they are. I know I'm not the only one getting this impression, but I suppose I should stop talking now. I can't say I really want to scare people away from Axiom since they have ALWAYS stood behind whatever product they've sold me. I feel bad when I cut into their profits because I keep having them ship me replacements, though.

CV #291178 02/07/10 09:26 PM
R
buff
buff
R
You should not feel bad. Companies often find it cheaper to put a product on the market a little early and let customers help to sort out problems in real world conditions. You might call it beta. I am not sure this is what Axiom is doing with their subwoofers, but they seem to be having a hard time with them. I am semi-OK with that as long as everything gets fixed it the long term. Not one ounce of guilt should be felt by the customer for wanting perfection however.

CV #291179 02/07/10 09:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am not under the impression lower failure rates would lead them to drop prices on their subwoofers. I am under the impression that prices are much higher for their subwoofers due to the fact they are a Canadian company (value of currency is less than US thus does not go as far), the drivers, assembly of componenets are done in house (EP series) rather than in overseas manufacturing like their speaker line (which many competitors use to keep costs down). Maybe Axiom feels the need for skilled North American labour/QA/QC in this area which also keep costs up. Another reason for the inflated MSRP is that shipping is included. You also have to realize that we do pay for customer service in all the products including speakers. These are all factors that determine MSRP and which probably influnce why prices on their subwoofers are higher than the competition.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020