Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Playing Around
#29128 12/29/03 08:51 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Okay, after having my system for about a month and a half. I finally got the opportunity to set it up. Don't ask, but I was waiting for the sub to be finished, then dismantle the entertainment center, and old stereo receiver....etc
Anyway I have the VP150, M22, QS8 and a Stryke sub. All run thru a Yamaha RX V 2400. Yes I will admit I am STILL learning the ins and outs of all this equipment. Thought it was an easier task, but I have to learn. My first inane question is ...What exactly am I supposed to be hearing thru the speakers. I understand the center processes all the vocals. But what about the fronts, and surrounds. Should there be a distinct powerful sound coming out? Should the surrounds be "LOUD", should the fronts be "LOUD"? The center is the loudest speaker right now, is this correct. The self calibration program found w/in the Yamaha does not work with my setup. It suppresses the sub, I had to manually setup. But since I have no freakin idea as to what I am doing......I needed some advice. Is there a technician who would come to yopur home to calibrate your system, and setup the receiver? I live in a suburb in NYC, under what heading would I find such a technician?
Does everyone hear use their HT sytem for total viewing? or mostly movies? Do you watch reg TV programs using it, as well as sporting events? Trust me, these are stupid questions to most of you, but informative to me. this Yamaha has SOOOO many variables to use, I need a lesson in using it to it's fullest potential. The manual, like most, leaves a little to be desired as far as explanations.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!!
Re: Playing Around
#29129 12/29/03 09:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There must be an Axiomite in your area that would help you out, no? I'd gladly stop by and help you set everything up, but I'm a bit too far away.

When watching a DVD, most of the sound you'll hear will generally be from the front three speakers. Dialog, from center, and music, effects, etc, from the two main channels. The surrounds will only have ambient info, music score, and some occasional effects. You shouldn't be hearing a full signal through your QS8's all the time. Quite often you may think they aren't working, but they are. Often times DVD's don't use them much. Others, such as the Daredevil DVD, use them a lot.

When watching something that is not encoded for dolby 5.1, or DTS, such as broadcast TV, cable, etc, quite often 90% + of the sound will only come from the center channel. You can try playing around with different DSP settings on your receiver, and find one you like best for these programs. When watching TV/CABLE, I usually have my Rotel set for DTS Neo 6. I just prefer that. You may like something else.

Good luck!

Any NYC are Axiomites, looking to help a guy out?

#29130 12/29/03 09:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Hi Davey Rackets
it's funny that you mention that the 2400 incorrectly calibrated the sub. It may have actually done a perfect job. I'm sure other people will chime in here too, but most people when they first calibrate their ht properly, have the sub level too high. This was the case for me too. I had the sub volume at about 1/2, but found after calibrating properly using Avia/SPL meter, that it should be closer to the 1/4 level. It can take some getting used to hearing less bass in the music, but quite often that's the actual desired level. We're just trained to liking that extra thumping.

After all that is said though, I'm still guilty of cranking the sub level back up for bass-heavy movies. I just did it the other day for U-571.

Good luck

"Chickens don't clap."
#29131 12/29/03 10:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
davey, not sure about the 2400, i have the 1300 model. on my receiver next to the spot where you can play around with the different effects, i have a button "stereo". if i push that, this when i get 2 channel stereo with the sub; then it's loud. we used to watch regular tv in 6 channel stereo but recently went to pro logic II (i think), which really engages the center channel and somewhat the qs8's. i know what you mean by all the different choices the yammi has. my wife goes nuts when i open the front of the receiver. give it time, 5 months, then you'll know what you like.
happy playing..
dan

#29132 12/29/03 10:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi DaveyRackets,

Get hold of either the Avia calibration DVD or the Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up DVD. The latter is cheaper (Amazon.com) and easier to use than the Avia disc.

Adjust your center channel just loud enough so movie dialog is intelligible but no louder. And it sometimes helps if you move the center speaker back a bit and the main left and right toed in a bit so the three fronts form a gentle arc.

I don't use home theater surround for newscasts, documentary shows or the like, mostly because the studio mikes are lousy (lavalier) and there's lots of distortion on the audio from location reporters. Sometimes I use Surround for sports if they are mixing crowd noise into the surrounds; otherwise, not. Late-night talk shows and SNL sometimes have very clean surround sound.

Lots of older 2-channel Dolby Surround matrix movies can sound very good in Dolby Pro Logic II (if your TV cable box has a digital audio output, use it). Try the Movie and Music modes with each source. One may sound better than the other.

Do you have your surrounds at the sides of the room, up above your ear level? That usually helps envelopment.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#29133 12/29/03 10:20 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well, if there are any Axiomites in the SINY area, love to have ya give me hand. Thanks for the input. Yeah i guess i was expecting something totally different. My inexperienced or perhaps corrupted hearing were leading me astray. As far as the bass, I was getting a very low, almost non discernable tone from the bass after the YPAO was used. I contacted John at Stryke who spoke to a Yamaha rep, who told me not to use the YPAO as it does not calibrate the bass adequately. But what do I know. I got nervous after having spent a good buck for a beautifully put together sub. Kudos to John at Stryke. Wish I had a digital camera to post this sub. Looks fabulous in the family room. Almost a whitish oak, with black screen. Looks better than the plain black subs I though about. Also John was quite quick in his response to my questions, good for a guy who works alone. Now I guess i'll play around with diff settings. trying to find my niche. Any other ideas PLEASE forward to me....I need all the help I can get!!

#29134 12/29/03 10:31 PM
aficionado
aficionado
davey, try the Rockets Board too. there may be rocket lovers in your area who would help you out, then proceed to tell you you made a purchasing mistake in buying axioms and not rockets. if you can tolerated the abuse, might be helpful, and who knows, might get a convert over to axiom.
dan

#29135 12/30/03 02:36 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

contacted John at Stryke who spoke to a Yamaha rep, who told me not to use the YPAO as it does not calibrate the bass adequately

That is the most asinine advice I've heard in a long time. It's true that YPAO does not EQ frequencies below 63Hz but it's not expected to nor designed to. But to tell you not to use YPAO is total Bull [censored].

YPAO is the main feature of the 2400 and if you're not gonna use it, well, whats the use in having it.

Do not confuse the EQ(YPAO) with speaker level setting. Btw, the 2400 does a great job in setting speaker level (including the sub provided you have the sub itself properly setup) with the internal test tones. I've double check the 2400's level setting against a test disc and a SPL meter and it was spot on.

BTW Davey, did you follow my instructions that I posted here? I'll admit that the 2400 is a little difficult to set up but for cryin' out loud it's not rocket science. I bet your bass problem stems from the sub itself not being set right and if you set up the 2400 properly, you shouldn't need a set up disk. Did you go to the audioholics.com forums for 2400 info like I suggested? Did you read the 2400 review at audioholics?

Come on Davey! buck up and do a little research...put some thought into it . I know you can get your HT setup sounding like a million bucks!!!!!!!!!

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#29136 12/30/03 03:28 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yes I did, and it has worked. Sorry for the delay ion responding to you personally. Holidays and all. I guess I really need to learn to "LISTEN" accurately instead of what I've been accustomed to hearing. I have to search around for the correct settings to suit my needs. As far as rockey science, well no it's not. But it can be damn near confusing.

#29137 12/30/03 03:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Davey

For starters, I'd pick up a Radio Shack analog SPL meter, set it to slow, use the Yamaha's speaker test tones and set the speakers so their output is equal at your listening position.

Check as to whether you have to repeat this process for different sources (Some Onkyos require set ups for each source).

Then, I'd get the Avia test disc, and use the SPL meter.

I listen to all sources through my receiver and with as many speakers as the source will permit. For example, through Adelphia cable, Fox news only outputs through the center channel, but other channels will decode for all 7.2 channels.

Good luck with your new system. Sounds like you're going to love it!

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup