depth to them. They could really fill the room with sound
and give a kick to my rock music.
I am running an Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver, a JVC XV-S65
DVD/CD player and a Dish Network 501 receiver box. The JVC
is interconnected with a digital coax to the Onkyo and the
satelite is using an optical interconnect. The speakers are
wired with 12g. wire.
When playing music from the cd player, radio or satelite
(cd quality music stations), while in the direct or stereo mode, I get the previously mentioned results. Changing to
one of the surround sound fields, without the rear speakers on, seems to improve a little. My room is 'L' shaped, 16X20
with a 8X9 piece at the bottom right and 8ft. ceilings. The
equipment is at the top of the 'L' and the listening position is at the bottom. I also get some improvement by
increasing the bass and decreasing the treble a little.
The M60's are hitting all of the notes fine, just lacking
some depth. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Sorry about the length of this post, but I have sent two
e-mails to the customer service address with out any replies.
Thank You
Saki

Re: m60 sound
#2924 05/07/02 08:45 AM
M
MDS Offline
M
This is one of the very few problems with Axiom speakers. It's not that the bass is not low enough (the M60 goes plenty low) it's that it has no impact and punch...some call it SLAM. This is one of the reasons Paradigm speakers have been good sellers...they have great mid and upperbass punch. Doug S. the reviewer over at soundstage.com said that if the M3Ti's had bass impact they would be the bargain of the century...and he is right. Ian MUST give his speakers more punch.

I can hear the bass I just can't FEEL it.

#2925 05/07/02 10:40 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
I am very familiar with this design philosophy and completely disagree with it. The bass "punch" is achieved by adding coloration around 100Hz. On a fairly quick listen this seems to be pleasing but it is in fact unrealistic and becomes irritating over time. Normally designers following this line will also increase the high frequency to balance out the unrealistic bass boost. This destroys the mid range and imaging of the speaker. Though this design technique will appear to be a benefit at first, which can be very helpful in relatively short in store demonstrations, it detracts from the overall performance that could have been achieved by the speaker. The proper way to add this punch, if your particular environment requires it, is to add a sub-woofer and run it with the crossover frequency up fairly high.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
#2926 05/08/02 12:18 AM
veteran
veteran
Saki,

As a new owner of M60s, I can relate to your problem with the different sound - compared to what you were used to. Call it lack of "punch" or whatever, but the truth is, when you change to speakers that have a significantly different sound, - believe it or not - you really have to adjust to them!

DO NOT BE AFRAID to adjust the tone controls on your receiver!!!! They were put there by the engineers/designers to help compensate for room acoustics, differences in speakers and personal tastes. We do not all hear the same, nor do we listen for the same things in our music. If turning up the bass gives you the punch you are desiring - then (my advice/opinion) turn it up!

The "audophile police" are not going to come around and arrest you for using them.

Ian's suggestion about using a sub just may be the thing you need. I use my subwoofer with both HT and stereo music. I have gotten used to it and I like it - so I use it!

Good luck!

Randyman

#2927 05/08/02 12:19 AM
veteran
veteran
Saki,

As a new owner of M60s, I can relate to your problem with the different sound - compared to what you were used to. Call it lack of "punch" or whatever, but the truth is, when you change to speakers that have a significantly different sound, - believe it or not - you really have to adjust to them!

DO NOT BE AFRAID to adjust the tone controls on your receiver!!!! They were put there by the engineers/designers to help compensate for room acoustics, differences in speakers and personal tastes. We do not all hear the same, nor do we listen for the same things in our music. If turning up the bass gives you the punch you are desiring - then (my advice/opinion) turn it up!

The "audiophile police" are not going to come around and arrest you for using them.

Ian's suggestion about using a sub just may be the thing you need. I use my subwoofer with both HT and stereo music. I have gotten used to it and I like it - so I use it!

Good luck!

Randyman

#2928 05/08/02 01:20 AM
saki Offline OP
OP Offline
I was not refering to only the base sound but the entire range. I think. I am new to this,next step, up the quality ladder. I will try using the powered sub to see what difference that it will make. Alan has answered my message to customer service and zeroed in on the bass factor as well. I agree with everyone that the m60's do hit low and
relatively hard when they have to. I'll report back.

#2929 05/08/02 02:40 AM
Lee Offline
regular
regular
You know, it's odd.

Axiom, Paradigm, JBL, and numerous other high quality manufacturers all say that much of their design criteria derive from Dr. Floyd Toole's research at the NRC.

Yet they all have their own sound.

If all of these very well respected designers and manufacturers disagree on what the "right" sound is, how can anyone expect that we ordinary folk will agree.

God gave us all different tastes and interests.

Let's just enjoy what we, as individuals like, and not worry about what is the "right" sound.

You know, I even used to like Bose untill I became an "educated consumer". (No flames please, we all had to start somewhere.)

Different people listen for, and like, different aspects of the overall sound experience.

Just find what you like in your price range, take it home, and enjoy it.

If you analyze it to death, you'll never really enjoy the experience.

#2930 05/08/02 10:51 AM
old hand
old hand
Lee,

You're right on with your post. There's an interesting discussion of this very issue in hometheaterforum: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68150

Bottom line... enjoy the movies and music and don't worry that "the sky is falling" when you read something from someone who bashes your gear for some reason in a forum someplace.

lando

PS Has BBIH changed his name? Haven't seen him on the boards recently.

lando
#2931 05/08/02 12:35 PM
saki Offline OP
OP Offline
Lando;
Are you a 'Technician' at Axiom? I am not sure what 'technical' advice you are tring to offer.
I posted a query to the 'technical' forum because I wanted some 'technical' advice from the experts at Axiom! As I previously stated... I am fairly new to the 'next step up' in quality! I was attempting to to find out if I was
doing something wrong with the way that I had setup and ran these speakers. I in no way was bashing anyone's product!!
Ian and Alan both have attempted to offer good 'technical'
advice to help me out! Are you in the correct forum for the
answer that you offered up? I see that there is a forum for
Advice from Axiom owners.

#2932 05/08/02 12:56 PM
old hand
old hand
Saki,

I'm not a technician in the audio field, and don't work for Axiom.... I apologize for getting off-topic in your thread.

lando

lando
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082