Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The coolest remote ever....
EFalardeau #293883 02/26/10 01:44 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Aaahhhh! I received the "IR learner" this PM and within 2 hours only I had scanned all my remotes (sometimes through the Harmony 890 to get the discrete codes for on/off of input selection missing on the orginal remotes). It took a while longer to get things to actually worked.

It was a bit discouraging until I realized the three devices that were working were the ones where the blaster is glued to the receiver (because of cross-product interference). The GC-100 seems to be very low powered (hence their offering of a "sold-separately" super blaster \:\) ). It looks a bit bad now because my older blasters don't stick anymore so good old (but visible) scotch tape had to be used!

So I am now using my remote network for everything now! Channel switching is 1.25 seconds compared to 12 seconds with 890... Not bad... During the weekend I will complete the SACD playing and split the equipment panels (which currently have ALL the remote buttons) into "normal" and "advanced" tabs to make it nicer looking.

And then, after three weeks of back-order, I should receive the IR extender to receive the IR codes and also two clever sensors they sell (not cheap! \:\( ) allowing to use composite signals as sensors. That way, I will be able to detect the state of the PS3 and of one other device for which I only have power toggle. If they perform great, I might eventually use more than two, but at 60$ a piece... they are pushing it a bit...

Anyway! At last, getting to move forward on this!

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #294125 02/27/10 02:16 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
That is satisfying... I thought that after the weekend (3 days as I am off Monday), I would have SACD playing synchronized with SqueezeCenter, but only playing "whole disks" with possibly "skipping tracks"... Well, after four hours of work tonight, I have more than 80% fully working.

I have loaded a playlist with a mixed of CD tracks (scanned on file server and played through sqzBox), SACD works (single tracks, or multiple tracks) or either and both of my 400-SACD disk changer... And it works. Whenever an SACD is about to play, the player is powered up if it is not already (squeezecenter is "paused" while this is happening and all play/pause/stop are rejected), the proper disk is selected if it is not already, the proper program is selected on the pre/pro (I use different settings if the disk is multi-channel, stereo-solo or duo and stereo-larger ensemble) and the correct track is selected. On track change in SqueezeCenter, if it is not contiguous (on the same disk), the new track is selected... and so on!

Apart from a .5 seconds discrepency between the disk "playing" in squeezecenter (the CD-side of the SACD) which cannot be helped, it works fine! So I will spend the weekend building "smart" algorithms trying to "prepare" the players in advance (now it has to power and select disk when it is about to play) and maybe even insert a bank of "in between CD tracks" to be inserted automatically when I build the playlist.

The only "oops" is "track skipping" with contiguous tracks. Since the track increases+1, the soft thinks it is a normal transition and let it the SACD continue without change. There is a "jump+1" message from SqueezeCenter so I will be OK, but it is those small glitches I still need to iron out.

Now the REAL fun begins! \:\)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #294136 02/27/10 03:56 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I think I'm going to have to visit you to see this system in action after you're done getting it to where you want it. Is this the new get-together destination, everyone?

CV #294558 03/01/10 04:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think so. It will be a sight to behold when it is 100% functional. At least until I get there with my E.M.P. device.
Muuhuuhhhahahahah

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #295344 03/07/10 01:13 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quick update on this (before I announce I am moving to Siberia to spare me the threat of visitors! \:\) ).

I have now used my new fully functional "Smart Playlist" and it is hard to remember life before that! Apart from a few glitches here and there once or twice per evening (none in the past two days), it is working well beyond my hopes. I was aiming for that, but I was really afraid as manually (and using the Harmony 890's jukebox functions), my rate of success was less than 50%. Now it's 100%.

Since Tuesday, I don't even check what is going on. I just build my playlist and start reading or watch hockey in simulcast and just enjoy the music, regardless if it CD or SACD. I have implemented all the "look ahead" functions so sometimes I build my playlist to swap neatly between players to avoid waiting 30 seconds between disk changing once in a while, but I don't bother anymore. Optimization happens if it can happen, otherwise, 30 seconds is not enough to make me worry about it (I do have an "Optimize" to move things around if I feel like pressing it when I build the playlist).

NOW TODAY!

I used the IR-learner connected to my second GC-100's serial port (that one a 6") and it only took me a few hours to have a fully integrated RF Harmonry 890. The IR-learner is not as good as the IR-extender because it takes about a second to "optimize" the IR and often sends 2-3 codes to the computer using different carriers when the signals are too short for their algo to be certain. So there is a small sluggishness for now, but it is only noticeable when using cursor keys.

To problem my "CEF Remote" activity, I added a "dummy" device (one that I knew had a huge number of discrete codes), frequently referred to here as a "Denon 3808" :). Then I created an "FM Radio" activity and mapped 6 pages of buttons (8 per-page) containing all the unary operations of the remote server. Works great!

I'm pretty close to be done with functionality and then I should be able to take a few pictures and prepare screen shots tomorrow or Monday.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #295350 03/07/10 01:27 AM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Quick update on this (before I announce I am moving to Siberia to spare me the threat of visitors! \:\) ).

I have now used my new fully functional "Smart Playlist" and it is hard to remember life before that! Apart from a few glitches here and there once or twice per evening (none in the past two days), it is working well beyond my hopes. I was aiming for that, but I was really afraid as manually (and using the Harmony 890's jukebox functions), my rate of success was less than 50%. Now it's 100%.

Since Tuesday, I don't even check what is going on. I just build my playlist and start reading or watch hockey in simulcast and just enjoy the music, regardless if it CD or SACD. I have implemented all the "look ahead" functions so sometimes I build my playlist to swap neatly between players to avoid waiting 30 seconds between disk changing once in a while, but I don't bother anymore. Optimization happens if it can happen, otherwise, 30 seconds is not enough to make me worry about it (I do have an "Optimize" to move things around if I feel like pressing it when I build the playlist).

NOW TODAY!

I used the IR-learner connected to my second GC-100's serial port (that one a 6") and it only took me a few hours to have a fully integrated RF Harmonry 890. The IR-learner is not as good as the IR-extender because it takes about a second to "optimize" the IR and often sends 2-3 codes to the computer using different carriers when the signals are too short for their algo to be certain. So there is a small sluggishness for now, but it is only noticeable when using cursor keys.

To problem my "CEF Remote" activity, I added a "dummy" device (one that I knew had a huge number of discrete codes), frequently referred to here as a "Denon 3808" :). Then I created an "FM Radio" activity and mapped 6 pages of buttons (8 per-page) containing all the unary operations of the remote server. Works great!

I'm pretty close to be done with functionality and then I should be able to take a few pictures and prepare screen shots tomorrow or Monday.

I'm going to put a GC-18 in my rack when I get done with the speakers and servers, now I just need a remote I like with the feedback from the gear ... All have good parts but none have it all ,,, well at least the harmony's .. which have the best interface .. tried them all 880, 890, one or two before that, 900, 1100 and the ? Masster something 500

Last edited by wordgasm; 03/07/10 01:28 AM.

Fronts/Wides:M22s in/on
Center:VP150/VP100 in/on
Hghts,SS,SR:QS8s
Sub:EP500
AVR:Onkyo 3008
Glitchy #295355 03/07/10 02:50 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The GC are neat little things. You do have to pay attention to a few things, notably that the IR blasters coming with the units are so low powered that you have to stick them to the receiver. But you can buy 60$ "power blasters" to compensate. Almost everything requires some "upgrades". The final bill is OK (compared to others), but it is not as compelling as the base unit cost indicates.

BUT, you cannot accuse them of false publicity as they clearly show ALL their gadgets being required for basic setups! \:\)
Overall, I like them because they publish their APIs unlike so many other I/O processors that require being a "certified installers".

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #297684 03/21/10 10:38 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Updates: Getting closer to the end. I have received, two weeks ago, two composite sensors so my CableBox and my HDX1000 media tank have power sensing. I also managed to put my hands on a third SACD jukebox, so I'm set for a long, long time if for ever. I can't believe the amount of disks I re-listen to because I can pick tracks here and there instead of having to commit (because of the effort involved) to whole disks or close to whole disks.

Anyhow, I will soon put together a PowerPoint presentation (which will be available on my web-site) as many (not necessirily from this forum ;\) ) are interested in seeing the result... but I don't want them in my appartment! \:\)

In the meantime, here are five pictures:

1. The two composite sensors and the IR receiver shown with the Harmony IR Blaster so my RF Harmony 890 can send commands to remote server

2. The Archos 9 on its support. It feels like a Star Trek command console!

3. The three SACD players.

4. Picture of the D2v's front panel. This is just to show that I frequently use the OSD to indicate track changes and provide feedback from RF remote. In this case, the top left corner shows that the sound is coming from disk #191 from C player and it is a multi-channel disk.

5. The same remote software running on my old laptop in the back room. Notice the clever use of the Axiom mini-mouse!

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #297688 03/21/10 10:42 PM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Updates: Getting closer to the end. I have received, two weeks ago, two composite sensors so my CableBox and my HDX1000 media tank have power sensing. I also managed to put my hands on a third SACD jukebox, so I'm set for a long, long time if for ever. I can't believe the amount of disks I re-listen to because I can pick tracks here and there instead of having to commit (because of the effort involved) to whole disks or close to whole disks.

Anyhow, I will soon put together a PowerPoint presentation (which will be available on my web-site) as many (not necessirily from this forum ;\) ) are interested in seeing the result... but I don't want them in my appartment! \:\)

In the meantime, here are five pictures:

1. The two composite sensors and the IR receiver shown with the Harmony IR Blaster so my RF Harmony 890 can send commands to remote server

2. The Archos 9 on its support. It feels like a Star Trek command console!

3. The three SACD players.

4. Picture of the D2v's front panel. This is just to show that I frequently use the OSD to indicate track changes and provide feedback from RF remote. In this case, the top left corner shows that the sound is coming from disk #191 from C player and it is a multi-channel disk.

5. The same remote software running on my old laptop in the back room. Notice the clever use of the Axiom mini-mouse!

Something you said, since I don't listen to CD's anymore, I just listen to a track and move on. I don't know if that's good or bad?

Last edited by wordgasm; 03/21/10 10:43 PM.

Fronts/Wides:M22s in/on
Center:VP150/VP100 in/on
Hghts,SS,SR:QS8s
Sub:EP500
AVR:Onkyo 3008
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940