Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 34 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 33 34
Re: Ideas? I wish Axiom would make a.....
2x6spds #297977 03/23/10 04:44 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
 Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Can't we all just get along?

Most of us can.

pmbuko #297978 03/23/10 04:47 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tell me before I buy something else.

I've been emailing Axiom about picking up another pair of M3s but am conflicted. I love the speakers, but wish they were better. If I got a pair of M3s and then Axiom came out with an upgraded version, I'd sure be sad.

So, Kommissar of speakers, what's new?

Originally Posted By: pmbuko
 Quote:
I hope there will be at least one person on the People's Council to the Ministry of Speakers who urges Axiom to raise its game and who does more than just gush how great they are and don't change you're just fine...

Perhaps they've raised their game already and we just can't tell you yet. \:D

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #297996 03/23/10 01:33 PM
I'd say if you want something M3-like, get the M3s. I can't say for certain, but I believe Axiom's model for improving existing products doesn't track closely with yours.

pmbuko #298041 03/23/10 06:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How about a good pair of headphones?

B&W now makes them... http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=4571

Would you buy Axiom headphones? I think I would. \:\)

I agree with 2x6 on one point... I also think Axiom's speakers are looking a little outdated. While the custom finishes go a long way towards improving on the cosmetics, they're still just kind of boring box speakers. I love my M80's for their SQ - absolutely - but they're not exactly going to set the world on fire with their looks.

I fully understand that the point is sublime SQ. That's one reason our beloved Axiom speakers are inexpensive. But isn't there room for a "premium" line? I think there is. I'd love it if Axiom made a higher-end line of speakers. A 'halo' product, as it were. Something with a little more dramatic flair to them. They don't have to be Dynaudio Evidence Masters, or B&W 800 Series Diamonds, but something a little more like Dynaudio's Contour series, or Paradigm Reference Studio 100's. Speakers with a little more 'oomph'.

Put it another way... I've been on this Axiom scene now since 2003. Nearly seven years now. Axiom has gone from the "Ti" version to the "V2"'s, added the on-wall's, brought out the EP500+800, and the amps. Those aren't trivial things and I respect Axiom for what they've done. But nothing has changed with their core M-series speakers. They're looking a little tired, IMHO.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #298042 03/23/10 06:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth

I agree with 2x6 on one point... I also think Axiom's speakers are looking a little outdated. While the custom finishes go a long way towards improving on the cosmetics, they're still just kind of boring box speakers. I love my M80's for their SQ - absolutely - but they're not exactly going to set the world on fire with their looks.

I fully understand that the point is sublime SQ. That's one reason our beloved Axiom speakers are inexpensive. But isn't there room for a "premium" line? I think there is. I'd love it if Axiom made a higher-end line of speakers. A 'halo' product, as it were. Something with a little more dramatic flair to them. They don't have to be Dynaudio Evidence Masters, or B&W 800 Series Diamonds, but something a little more like Dynaudio's Contour series, or Paradigm Reference Studio 100's. Speakers with a little more flair to them.

Put it another way... I've been on this Axiom scene now since 2003. Nearly seven years now. Axiom has gone from the "Ti" version to the "V2"'s, added the on-wall's, brought out the EP500+800, and the amps, but nothing has changed with their core M-series speakers. They're looking a little tired, IMHO.

Good post. I would be interested in something like Axiom headphones. I have thought about this on a few occasions. It would be a good excuse for Ian to get some new testing equipment for his factory like a HATS system (Head and Torso Simulator) and other goodies. \:\)

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #298045 03/23/10 06:34 PM
C
CV Offline
C
I think it would be hard to compete in the headphone space. Even if Axiom can nail the sound, comfort seems to be hit or miss even from the people who focus solely on headphones. But yeah, I'd still try a pair of Axiom headphones out. \:\)

CV #298048 03/23/10 06:41 PM
Agreed on the headphone front. There's such a thing as spreading yourself too thin.

PeterChenoweth #298053 03/23/10 07:10 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth

I fully understand that the point is sublime SQ. That's one reason our beloved Axiom speakers are inexpensive. But isn't there room for a "premium" line? I think there is. I'd love it if Axiom made a higher-end line of speakers. A 'halo' product, as it were. Something with a little more dramatic flair to them. They don't have to be Dynaudio Evidence Masters, or B&W 800 Series Diamonds, but something a little more like Dynaudio's Contour series, or Paradigm Reference Studio 100's. Speakers with a little more 'oomph'.

Put it another way... I've been on this Axiom scene now since 2003. Nearly seven years now. Axiom has gone from the "Ti" version to the "V2"'s, added the on-wall's, brought out the EP500+800, and the amps. Those aren't trivial things and I respect Axiom for what they've done. But nothing has changed with their core M-series speakers. They're looking a little tired, IMHO.

It is interesting you mention the newer Paradigm Studio Series in your comments. I have dealt with a local store in the area for several years, that has sold the entire Paradigm line since pretty much their inception as a company and when this newer line was introduced the manager(who is a friend of mine) along with a few other long time employees commented, quite unanimously, that despite the fancier aesthetics and cabinetry AND hefty price increase, they had actually "cheapened" their drivers and the sound, overall, in their opinion, wasn't as good as the originals. They were tending to recommend other lines in their offerings(Totem, Focus Audio etc.)that represented better sound and value to their customers.

I have had several Paradigms in the past including a few of the Studio series but, not having heard the newer line, I have no way of comparing.

Perhaps there is another agenda here but, I guess, given the above comments from people who have sold the product for years, it would seem it's not always just about building fancier and more "modern looking" speakers.

casey01 #298056 03/23/10 07:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: casey01

...despite the fancier aesthetics and cabinetry AND hefty price increase, they had actually "cheapened" their drivers and the sound, overall, in their opinion, wasn't as good as the originals.

If Paradigm is cheapening-out on their speakers, it's all the more reason that Axiom might do well with a premium line.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
casey01 #298057 03/23/10 08:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Funny you should mention the Studio's Casey. I was looking at measurements of the V5 studio 10 and 60 over at soundstage and thought they looked rougher than the previous version.

Salk Sound, on the other hand, seems to be offering value at a price with their Songtower and Veracity speakers.

Peter. What should Axiom do to spruce up the line? They started offering the Vasallo line a few years ago as a premium option.

I still think that a premium bookshelf would be a way to test the waters on something higher end. Something that plays lower than the M3 or M22 and comes in a veneer finish as standard. I don't know that this fits in with what Axiom does as a company though.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 9 of 34 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 33 34

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters